Going wireless worth the switch?

Man! What is that patch bay you have? That's awesome! I'd love to have something like that in my rig

The panels in both the AxeFx rig and the IEM rig are custom panels from redco.

The IEM panel is all soldered connectors because I didn't have enough space behind the panel to fit the pass through connectors.

For the axefx rig, I got the passthrough connectors because I'm lazy and didn't feel like soldering, plus I had enough space in my rack to accommodate the extra bulk.

https://www.redco.com/Redco-Custom-Panel-Designer.html

I've had a Line 6 G50 for quite a few years and have gone back and forth a few times between it and a cable. Most recently I used it for a couple of years but started noticing an upper frequency 'bite' that I couldn't get rid of. Switched back to a cable a couple months ago and the 'issue' is gone. I am one of those people that once I hear something it typically bugs me until I address it. I will keep the wireless and probably run into a situation where I'll need it and eventually go back to using it regularly again but for now it's a cable for me.

Bottom line: Wireless are definitely worth it for convenience and freedom and 99% of the people listening will never notice the things we do. However, be prepared for the possibility of going between it and a cable from time to time.

Most recently I used it for a couple of years but started noticing an upper frequency 'bite' that I couldn't get rid of. Switched back to a cable a couple months ago and the 'issue' is gone. I am one of those people that once I hear something it typically bugs me until I address it. I will keep the wireless and probably run into a situation where I'll need it and eventually go back to using it regularly again but for now it's a cable for me.
It's definitely normal to like that high frequency roll off you get with plain old wire. The newer Line6 units include a "cable length" switch that adds a low pass filter with a knee that moves backwards as you move the "cable length" setting higher.

It's definitely normal to like that high frequency roll off you get with plain old wire. The newer Line6 units include a "cable length" switch that adds a low pass filter with a knee that moves backwards as you move the "cable length" setting higher.
Yep, used the Cable Tone knob but couldn't find a setting that took enough of the high end off without 'deadening' the tone.

Played an outdoor gig this afternoon with the G30 and it performed like a CHAMP! It’s wonderful to have a cable underfoot. I wandered a bit and moved around in my area far more than I ever did when a cable was attached to my guitar.

I play wireless for around 25 years now, starting with a Nady 201 VHF system,

I started with a Nady 101 VHF. It resulted in the funniest gig ever. We had a charity benefit gig for the local Foodbank in the early 90s. The local radio station was there, and the DJ on the street had a wireless mic. They switched over to her, but all they got was an earful of clean power chords lol. They promptly told me to use a cable.

I´m using a G30 with two transmitters (two guitars) into one receiver. Changing guitars is one button off and one on, works really good.
I remember, when i was switching to wireless, it took some weeks to get rid of that funny behaviour trying to kick the cable out of my feet...

AX8 with Line6 Relay G30. The G30 is very inexpensive. I have one gig under my belt but it worked flawlessly. Makes sound checks easier when you are the guy in the band who mixes - you don’t need a 25 ft cable to walk out and hear what is coming from the PA. There are 6 channels to pick from. Plastic unit but doesn’t feel super cheap like some plastic units. The battery door on the guitar pack is not super well done with the plastic latch. Guitar pack batteries last about 8 hours or 2 gigs. That is the only pain with wireless. Floor unit small and light. No antennae sticking out. You get about 100 ft range with this unit. I did not notice tone difference at all. You can add cable tone if you want with a switch which will slightly darken then tone as a real 20 or 30 ft cable would.

Back
Top Bottom