Going to try FRFR again at a gig, but why is everything sounding so harsh?

FWIW, I tried it yesterday with a cheap Warfedale Titan 12D at home, and it sounded brilliant. Not at gig volume yet, but still pretty loud, I'll try it at rehearsal this sunday. I was completely over the moon with the sound.
If I have the same wow feeling at the rehearsal, my AC30 is going on sale.

Just been playing again, and I love it still. I use very simple patches: two amps and cabs for clean, one amp two cabs for varying degrees of dirt, a little reverb with some occasional phaser, delay, fuzz. Only a bit of eq'ing on the amp models, I choose a cab I like, the Mix ones seem to work best for me. Result: great sound. That simple. I did use a mic on one of the 3*10 cab to get rid of some ice pick. Just went through the 6 mics and chose the one that sounded good to my ears, easy peasy.

I'm going to test a Dynacord D112A at the rehearsal later, that should sound even better than the cheapo Wharfedale, I guess.

i just don't think all the crazy eq stufff is necessary....plenty of guys (yours truly included) gig multiple times weekly without doing all that and get consistently great sounding AND feeling tones. it's way

All the 'crazy eq stuff' is very necessary if you are using recording/ home practice patches at gig volumes.

I can dial in a great sound at gig volumes, but would be way too dark for home/recording use. As a personal preference, I choose to use global eq's. It could easily leave those flat if my patches were exclusively for live use.

Having said that, it does appear that some FRFR speakers are brighter than others, so a degree of compensation is required.

Everyone's rig is different and what works for some won't work for others. I don't care how I get great sounds, as long as I get great sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do did this work out for you? Lot's of sensible suggestions from Forum members here - would be nice to hear if anything helped :)

All the 'crazy eq stuff' is very necessary if you are using recording/ home practice patches at gig volumes.

I can dial in a great sound at gig volumes, but would be way too dark for home/recording use. As a personal preference, I choose to use global eq's. It could easily leave those flat if my patches were exclusively for live use.

Having said that, it does appear that some FRFR speakers are brighter than others, so a degree of compensation is required.

Everyone's rig is different and what works for some won't work for others. I don't care how I get great sounds, as long as I get great sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes but one of the biggest rules of using a device like this is to not try and translate patches made at bedroom levels to gig volume situations.

I suspect your issue is the Q12, which can be shrill, imo.

Just curious -- how many gigs have you done with the Q12 and what type of music did you play live with a band in a club setting?

Reason I ask is that my personal experience is very different from what you described above having done last year well over a dozen gigs with a pair of Q12s.

It was actually about as close to plug and play as I got with a FRFR monitor (no "magic" EQ settings required). And according to users of competitive FRFR products, my gig patches translated to their FRFR platforms.

Would love to learn more of about you gigging experience with the Q12s (and the type of music you played, and amps used at gigs) to better understand why your experience was so different than mine.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom