Going to be putting my AX8 setup in front of a lot of bassists today

selta

Power User
I host the annual Emerald City Bass Convention (http://ecbasscon.org), and today is the day for it this year. I'll be taking my AX8 setup and putting it in front of anywhere from 75 - 150 bass players specifically. I have a bit of a demo planned to go through in front of everyone, and then one-on-one time with folks throughout the day.
Noon to 8 pm, I should be able to get a lot of folks time on my setup. It'll be interesting to again see what the reactions are - I have "canned" answers ready for some of the common questions I answer on here, TalkBass.com, facebook groups etc. Should be a fun and interesting day.

A lot of fun was had - I got to play some gear, but as emcee, not much. Mostly stayed near my area, showing everyone my new Dingwall and AX8 setup.
18192421_10203224266642898_3340039668780236103_o.jpg

Ended up just about 80 people coming through in total. Loads of questions, and a lot of people interested in getting more details and such, so I'll be sitting down with them in the next few months.
Common questions:
1) I thought the B7K was modeled, or is going to be modeled
2) What bass amps are in there
3) What bass cabs are in there
4) What on-stage monitoring do you use
5) How do soundmen react to the setup
6) Am I happy with it
7) Have there been any issues (crashing)

here was how I answered them each time:
1) There was a little bit of a communication snafu, and it's unclear whether or not @FractalAudio is interested or will be modeling the B7K, or any bass specific effects for that matter
2 & 3) I pulled up the wiki and showed them the complete amp list, and commented how any are in fact usable - but also showed the bass specific amps (which generally spurred follow up questions about various favorite amp being missing)
4) Either my QSC K12 or my power amp into a ThunderChild 118
5) Typically they don't care once we get the level set correctly. Some make comment about how it is easier to setup (no mic'ing) or how nice the tone is, but haven't yet had a negative experience.
6) Generally yes, but there are things I wish / hope get improved
7) No issues with crashing on my AX8 or Axe-Fx II, but there have been bugs and issues reported in the forum, though they all seem very minor

But yeah, it was a great, fun event. We had reps from Ampeg, Bartolini, many bass builders and other Amp and FX designers/builders there. Even some of the amp/FX builders checked out the AX8, but I won't repeat the conversations that followed :)

And a little something followed me home. Who can point out the newest one in the rack?

18278124_10155098809526276_2932848671784904789_o.jpg

awesome man! you are definitely a big inspiration for the FAS Bassist community!

Try to be... but at the same time, there's plenty of times where I am just truthful with the current state of how things are, and well, it turns quite a few cats away. /shrug. I just wish that wasn't the case, especially when I have the attention of dozens of bass players like I did yesterday.

The WAL !! I don't know much about them ,,,what model is it ? ,year?,whats the value $ ? do you have a full frontal picture of the WAL ?

also appreciate all of your input and wisdom that you freely share on here,, and your efforts in the BASS arena of the Forum.

The WAL !! I don't know much about them ,,,what model is it ? ,year?,whats the value $ ? do you have a full frontal picture of the WAL ?
also appreciate all of your input and wisdom that you freely share on here,, and your efforts in the BASS arena of the Forum.
Check it out over here, I posted a short clip and a photo:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-wal-pretty-dang-good-match.126990/

It's a Mk 2 I believe from the 80s. Used value in the $6k+ range, new would be $7k+, and a 2 year wait.

The electronics are really key in Wals. It's truly unique stuff that really lets you have a wide tonal platter, but it does take a little bit to learn and really get comfortable with. Read about it here:
http://www.walbasses.co.uk/Electronics

Kind of wish the Axe-Fx II / AX8 would accept XLR on Input 1 so I could run balanced out of it :)

I have given up on using the AXE-FX for bass. Just ordered a new Ampeg V-4B to go with my Ampeg 810, and just bought a new B7K. Perhaps one of these days when FAS decides to do something meaningful for bass I'll revisit.
I still play guitar, so I'll always have an AXE.

I have given up on using the AXE-FX for bass. Just ordered a new Ampeg V-4B to go with my Ampeg 810, and just bought a new B7K. Perhaps one of these days when FAS decides to do something meaningful for bass I'll revisit.

This is becoming the sad truth. I've been so eager to jump into the FAS world, but my primary instrument is bass. I also play guitar here and there, so FAS would be great for that, but I don't play it enough to justify an AX8. But I'd really love to have one board and use an AX8 for bass too!
I'm still holding out- hoping for some better bass offerings....

I have a V4B and love the tubey goodness it gives at levels that don't piss off everyone but me! :)

How do you like it?

Back
Top Bottom