Going Stereo is just SO COOL!!!

WERNER1

Inspired
So I've already resolved that in the real world I won't be running Stereo Live,.. so when Creating presets I have either Summed up L&R or created a Stereo Preset and only have the L side plugged in to my RME FireFace UC ... Well last night I was working on a clean patch with a Texas Special neck pup and I noticed that my delay and chorus just wasn't cutting it,.. I quick went and hooked up the R cable and panned both my FFUC's channels 100% L/R.... WOW! ... just such a killer spacious sound to say the least... maybe I'll try and post a sound clip of it this evening...

Now back to reality in the Mono world.. :(

Just out of curiosity, why are you guys playing mono live?
Most soundmen wont have a clue what to do with a stereo guitar signal. If you run your own sound, its a different ball game...but I run mono just to have one less cable to worry about. I dont use anything that would warrant it aside from delays. I always use a pretty stripped down sound of just comp/drive1/drive2/amp/cab/delay/filter(solo booost) and thats about it.

I use IEMs and a Rolls MX28. Whether I'm getting my mix from an IEM system or a mono feed from FOH, I take the mix to the MX28 plus a stereo output from my AX8. Then with my buds/phones driven by the MX28, my guitar is always stereo and I have full control of levels for both. Could do the same thing with 2 powered monitors.

Doesn't address what the audience hears, but keeps me happy. Going mono when you are use to stereo for practicing and rehearsals is a major buzz kill.

We use IEM's,.. and even though we have a 32 Channel "Same Page" system (Each person has their own individual 32 channel mix with on screen controls..) some how we don't have enough channels for me to go stereo - I did get to do it for a few months back when I first got my GT-100,... but that was short lived...

Two guitar players kind of defeats stereo imo and I just don't think it's worth the extra line for most venues.

Stereo is top for monitoring, but for live use there are two flaws that demands thinking about it :
-Is it only to use the enhancer block ? Then it's possible only a little part of the audience get the effect.
-Do you have keyboards etc in your band ? It can be more interesting to have their stereo plus an eventual drumset panning rather than guitar. And obviously with two guitars it becomes tricky.

I was sure at first to run everything in stereo, but just some PA systems told me to stay simple.
If we play a big venue one day, I'll think about it.

we run our PA in stereo. stereo guitar, keys, drums and the bv's are panned very slightly. it's likely that only the audience members in the middle will get the full stereo image, but the sound is huge and it doesn't matter where you stand, you can still tell it sounds different (and i think better) than having everything in mono. if we play places where we have to use the house pa and it's set up for mono, then i just give the sound guy my left output.

i never use the enhancer...don't like the sound of it. stereo delays, reverbs, chorus. sometimes two amp blocks panned hard L&R. depends on the tune. i had one patch set up with acoustic in the centre (from piezo outputs) and two amp blocks panned left and right. massive. you'd have to standing right in front of one of the pa speakers not to notice it.

Stereo setup : Only people in the center can hear stereo effect.
vs.
Mono setup: Nobody can hear the stereo effect.

... I don't really see the advantage of Mono.

I love stereo, when I played out alot in the 80s & 90s always ran stereo with my MXR now with my AX8 it's much better than I could ever hope for especially with a quality pair of headphones, the lush audio landscape of the AX8 is mesmerizing to say the least not to mention inspirational... rock your stereo!

Back
Top Bottom