Going on the road for 8 weeks leaving guitars in hardcase or just on guitar stand?

unFILTERed

Power User
I will be gone for 8 weeks, should i better put my guitars in my studio in their hardcases or leave them on the guitar stands...humidity is ok, temperature drops down abit at nights but not too bad...what would u guys advice, is there anything wrong about a les paul, strat, lakewood acoustic etc...being in a hardcase for 8 weeks?

8 weeks you say? And where do you live?

No I'm kidding.

I've left guitars in their cases for their entire time I owned them, only taking them out to play them now and then, my dad too. He recently gave me a 12 string Strat that's been in the case for around 5 years, unplayed, and it just needed some new strings, and it was good to go.

I always leave all my guitars in thier cases unless I am playing them, and I always wipe them down after playing before putting them back in thier case. My acoustics have case humidifiers that at 1st required weekly replenishing but after a few years they last about a month now.

I leave all my guitars in a rack or hanging on the wall where I can grab them in mere seconds rather than fumbling with cases. They have been in the stand for years. No problems whatsoever. The cases are safe and sound in the attic.

8 weeks you say? And where do you live?

That's actually an important consideration.

I keep my guitars in inexpensive wall-mounted display cases.

Shop for Quality Hardwood Guitar Display Case Cabinet at www.sfDisplay.com

I put trays of water in the bottom of each that keep the relative humidity at about 45-50%. The humidity is around 10-25% here in Vegas. Without the trays, the acoustic guitars dry out, and all of the guitar's fretboards shrink, causing the frets to stick out and create sharp edges.

These cases keep my guitars humidified and free of dust. They also protect them from UV light. Best of all, I can see them in all their glory.

I also 25+ years keep all my guitars in their cases. I do like the cases that steadystate has-though But yes, always cases for me.

I have over 40 guitars(Charvels) hanging on my walls in an end room in the house, all the ones on out side walls are greatly effected by the weather changes but the interior wall mounted guitars do not seem to be effected.so I would say put them in the cases in the center of the house.

Use to be a case guy for my whole life but recently I bought a hercules 5 guitar rack (can convert to hold up to 10 guitars) and I love the grab and go aspect. I am scared of ruining my instruments with temp and humidity fluctuations though :/

Also if you live in the Bay Area your guitars might be better off in their cases if say an earthquake would happened to hit, god forbid.

thx guys, all put in cases....will miss them and my studio :) axe and a custom shop tele is coming with me since i have couple of gigs in europe.

Case, stand, it doesn't really matter, except for some extra dust to wipe off once you get home.

If your question is about climate, my teacher once told me a rule of thumb that goes:
"If it's comfortable for a human, it's comfortable for the guitar."

We humans actually have a very narrow comfort zone in terms of humidity and temperature. And it matches that of guitars just fine.

Most of my electric guitars have not seen the inside of a case since I bought them. I'd tend to keep acoustic guitars in the case just because it's a bit dry in my neck of the woods. A few of my electrics have gotten fret sprout but that's easy enough to knock down that I just deal with it. I haven't had a guitar that ever got fret sprout more than twice.

Back
Top Bottom