Going from FX-II to AX8?

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
I currently have an FX-II but don't use a good majority of the banks or effects, and I don't have any external controllers which makes it hard to switch between patches etc. (I currently don't play out.)

Besides the "stompable" form factor, would I be losing anything fundamental (tone, features, routing) going to the AX8? I'm mostly concerned with amps/cabs, distortion, chorus, delay, reverb, phaser. I primarily use a stereo setup (at least at home).

Also, how difficult is it to essentially replicate patches/tones on the AX8 from the FX-II (primarily amp/cab tones)?

The fundamentals are all there with the AX8 -- same amp models, drive pedals, etc. There are a few differences (no mic modeling in the cab block) and fewer instances of blocks, such as only one amp/cab instead of two on the Axe-FX II. The specific differences are detailed on the Axe-FX wiki: AX8 versus Axe-Fx II XL+

For replicating tones/patches, you can use the new FracTool app to convert patches from the Axe-FX II to the AX8. There's also block-level compatibility in Axe-Edit/AX8-Edit, which is another option for getting your tweaks across.

One thing to consider if you're doing home studio stuff with your Axe-FX today is the AX8 doesn't have the same I/O options. It doesn't do USB audio and lacks a headphone jack.

Also worth noting, as I'm an Axe-FX II user who recently picked up an AX8 -- it's completely quiet as it has no fan.

Sounds absolutely killer... if you're not doing gonzo patches on the II with dual amps, a bazillion effects, etc, I think you'll be quite pleased with what the AX8 can do.

Thanks for the info!

Regarding dual amps, would that mean that within a single patch the most I could do is to swap between different sets of settings (e.g. gain, vol) for a single amp/cab combination?

Thus I assume stereo using two different amps would be out as well, correct? Can it handle stereo through one amp/cab?

Thx!

Yeah, you can use X/Y to switch between different amp/cab settings in a single preset. (Or just create additional presets... takes about the same time to switch as X/Y would.)

Can't do 2 amps simultaneously, but you can do stereo with the Cab block; it supports stereo UltraRes as the Axe-FX II does.

Regarding dual amps, would that mean that within a single patch the most I could do is to swap between different sets of settings (e.g. gain, vol) for a single amp/cab combination?
You can use X/Y settings on the AMP and CAB block to change settings (and models or IRs). Or use scene controllers or external controllers. You can run the CAB block in stereo. You can only run one, mono, AMP block though in the AX8.

Thus I assume stereo using two different amps would be out as well, correct?
Correct. Can't do that with the AX8.

Can it handle stereo through one amp/cab?
Yes. But you'll want your stereo effects placed post-AMP block because the AMP block sums L+R to mono.

I own both a II XL+ and an AX8 and I'm finding myself using the AX8 more and more. I love the portability. I love the switching setup on the AX8 -- the ability to access X/Y for blocks from the same IA you use to turn them on and off is FANTASTIC. And it sounds just as amazing as my XL+. I don't run any stereo AMP setups so I'm not impacted by there only being one AMP block.

I did have to take my monster gig patch I run on my XL+ and split it in to three AX8 patches. It's not a big deal to pick the patch based on the primary, CPU-intensive effect I need for a song (rotary, delays or reverb are the three "big" effects that define each patch --- otherwise all the other settings on the other blocks are identical across the patches).

Here's a thread I wrote on adapting my primary gig patch from my XL+ to my AX8: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/adapting-an-axe-fx-ii-preset-to-the-ax8.108037/

And here is my entire AX8 rig in its bag. You just can't beat the portability and sound!

ax8-kontroller.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone run outboard pedal effects in the effects loop such as a stereo chorus or a wah with the AX8?

Back when I tried it on the original FX, I had trouble getting the levels right, tending to either clip the pedals or underdrive them.

Anyone run outboard pedal effects in the effects loop such as a stereo chorus or a wah with the AX8?

Back when I tried it on the original FX, I had trouble getting the levels right, tending to either clip the pedals or underdrive them.

I run a Boss GP-10 through the AX8 effects loop just fine.

Ian pretty much nailed all the differences. In all honesty, since getting the AX8, my AxeFX sits at home in my studio only fired up for home practice and recording. It's just faster for me to flip the on switch in my studio desk than plug in my AX8 and cables. Saves me about 2 minutes (YMMV) :) Also, I get the added benefit of having my AX8 in a bag and "gig-ready" so to speak.

I've used a handful of stompboxes and overdrives into the front end and loop of the AX8 where applicable. Sounds great. 95% of the time, I don't bring extra gear to the gig other than my AX8 mounted to a PT-2 with 2 expression pedals.

The two pedals I haven't found an equivalent within the AxeFX are Fulltone OCD (I have two versions) and the Retrosonic chorus (CE-1 clone).

I've tried to get close to the OCD, but it has an organic feel and driving cut-through that I haven't been able to get with the Fractal drive models, which tend to feel more compressed to me.

Also, I have yet to hear any digital modeled chorus (though the Fractal "analog" ones are pretty good) that sounds as lush and analog (and Lerxst-like) as my Retrosonic.

Last edited:
It doesn't do USB audio and lacks a headphone jack.

The USB is then for firmware up/downloads?

As for headphone listening, I would guess I could use a small headphone amp with some cable adapters? (Or alternatively monitor through a portable recorder.)

I did the swap, less gear to bring.
that's it for me.
I don't miss anything excepte the IR capture, but only use it for real like 5 time.

I still have both the Axe-FX II and AX-8. The transition was ok but there is one thing that I don't see mentioned a lot here that bothers me a bit. The speed... When editing the AX-8 is a lot slower while reading preset names, changing blocks, etc... Also the CPU limitation is interesting at first because it forces you to have more "efficient" presets. But... More is better in the end. No way around it.

I have been considering going back to the FX II. Portability is great but in my case I use a Matrix amp with a guitar cab so the rack is a given. If the rack has 2 or 4 spaces... That's the only difference to me. So... Still not 100% sold on the AX8 vs the FX-II. Soundwise they are the best piece of gear I own.

I thought I'd use the AX8 more since I'd be able to transport it in a case I could take home. Normally my Axe-II rides in a big multi-space rack with all our IEM stuff and mixer et al. I figured it would give me more time/opportunity to work on song-specific patches and whatnot.

This hasn't really been the case as I've had a hard time switching over to the AX8. My main patch on the II had dual amps and loads of effects etc. I've been trying to split them up across multiple patches and whatnot but just haven't been able to get it where it works as gracefully as the II and my main multi-scene patch.

Maybe I'll get there eventually but right now the AX8 is just kinda sitting around.

Back
Top Bottom