Going from Ableton to Axe-Fx 3

SethLael

Hey Folks looking for some input on changing my rig from Abelton before I take the plunge. My buddy made this album giantmetalcrickets and I'm inspired by the quality of effects.
I'd also love to not have a computer, interface, as well as all the other bits and pieces to carry around for gigs/jams. I love the endless possibility using Ableton and it looks like the ver 3 can handle the cpu power running 3 instruments.
My current rig playing a dual output wes lambe hybrid with a fishman tripple play (I make up for my playing with effects lol). I use kmi softsteps for midi control

Track1 -Gtr usually has a dly, dly, verb, pitch, tone boost, and comp (multiple guitar rig chain variations as well as some sound toys vst before out put)
Track2 -Bass has dist, harmonic synth, octav, eq, comp (mostly guitar rig)
Ttrack3 -Midi fishman triple play guitar has a few chains of electric pianos, some synth leads, arpeggios, verbs, and delays for layering guitar.

One thing I love in guitar rig is velocity triggering. I don't see that in the ver 3 manual.
Do you think axe fx 3 can replicate this rig? I know the quality will be much better but Ableton is an amazing power house.

I hope this is the right place for this post. Thanks for any input.

Hey Folks looking for some input on changing my rig from Abelton before I take the plunge. My buddy made this album giantmetalcrickets and I'm inspired by the quality of effects.
I'd also love to not have a computer, interface, as well as all the other bits and pieces to carry around for gigs/jams. I love the endless possibility using Ableton and it looks like the ver 3 can handle the cpu power running 3 instruments.
My current rig playing a dual output wes lambe hybrid with a fishman tripple play (I make up for my playing with effects lol). I use kmi softsteps for midi control

Track1 -Gtr usually has a dly, dly, verb, pitch, tone boost, and comp (multiple guitar rig chain variations as well as some sound toys vst before out put)
Track2 -Bass has dist, harmonic synth, octav, eq, comp (mostly guitar rig)
Ttrack3 -Midi fishman triple play guitar has a few chains of electric pianos, some synth leads, arpeggios, verbs, and delays for layering guitar.

One thing I love in guitar rig is velocity triggering. I don't see that in the ver 3 manual.
Do you think axe fx 3 can replicate this rig? I know the quality will be much better but Ableton is an amazing power house.

I hope this is the right place for this post. Thanks for any input.
Welcome! Those FX chains should easily be handled by the Axe FX III. My main patches have 2-4 different FX chains for different inputs.

One thing I want to make sure you’re clear on is that the Axe can’t take a MIDI input from your TriplePlay and host VST instruments. You’d still need your computer or a synth for that. You can definitely run the FX for the synths through the Axe though. I have a TriplePlay and when I use it I just add my laptop to my rig for the soft synths. Pretty flexible analog or USB routing to run I/O between the two.

Velocity triggering - is this controlling/triggering effects based on input level? You can do that by tweaking the envelope controller and assigning it to a parameter.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but the Axe Fx is something very different from Ableton, so I'm not sure how one would replace the other.

Thanks Getlost, evenelope controller sounds cool.
Unix- I've been using abelton with some soft step foot pedals like an effects rack. I agree Ableton is different but can be used in the same way.
After some more research it looks like I won't have as much flexibility with my tone because of the lack of midi triggering, but the tone will be muuuuch better. Gain staging looks easier. Also won't be staring at a screen before a show or worrying about routing with an interface.

I couldnt get Ableton Live to work with the axe fx3..... Ableton live seems to be more geared for midi/automation rather than recording instruments but i could be wrong

If you can show/send a tutorial on how to use it to record instruments, and use VST/AAX instrument plugins, id really appreciate it

I'm not sure I'm following you. I don't have an axe fx yet. I've been using Ableton as an effects rack and am looking into replacing it with a fx iii

Thanks Getlost, evenelope controller sounds cool.
Unix- I've been using abelton with some soft step foot pedals like an effects rack. I agree Ableton is different but can be used in the same way.
After some more research it looks like I won't have as much flexibility with my tone because of the lack of midi triggering, but the tone will be muuuuch better. Gain staging looks easier. Also won't be staring at a screen before a show or worrying about routing with an interface.
So you're basically using Ableton as a VST host to run amp, cab, effects? And then controlling it with the SoftStep?

The Axe Fx III can trigger midi on preset and scene changes via the Midi block.

It can also deliver midi payloads with Control Switches (you'll need an FC controller to do that).

Back
Top Bottom