Going clean in two thousand seventeen

I backed everything up. Then I uploaded an empty bank to banks A through E. Then I put the factory banks back but I put them in B, C and D. Bank A got a handful (eight to be exact) of my personal presets (including my #1 Trey A preset that I gig with).

I'm keeping E and F free for...something special. :)

And A I'll keep filling up with personal presets and presets I'm more likely to want in rehearsal or on a gig.

Feels good to go clean!

I had almost two years of cruft accumulated in the box. Most of it unused. And I wanted to get to @Admin M@'s latest factory presets (which sound wonderful) in to the box without having to worry about order and what not.
Hey Ian - Hows it going? you mentioned Admin Matt's presets... Can you share the link? i am unaware of this. thank you!

Oh this is definitely something I'd love to do as well. But.... so many presets have been fine tuned to match real life amps that I would feel lost. :O

Oh this is definitely something I'd love to do as well. But.... so many presets have been fine tuned to match real life amps that I would feel lost. :O
You have to trust your backups! If you wanted to really organize, before you do your first backup, shuffle all your presets around so you can definitely say "Bank A is all my tuned stuff, Bank B is all the stuff I downloaded from other people", etc. And then rename the backup files with those labels so you can find things again.

XL and XL+ users also have options in the Utility menu, Preset page to delete all presets and user cabs via the front panel. (DO A BACKUP FIRST! There's no going back.) Mark I and Mark II users have to clear them out using Axe Edit as posted above.

XL and XL+ users also have options in the Utility menu, Preset page to delete all presets and user cabs via the front panel. (DO A BACKUP FIRST! There's no going back.) Mark I and Mark II users have to clear them out using Axe Edit as posted above.
Ha! I learn something new every day! Coming to the XL+ from a MkI I had no idea this existed in the XL+! I've got my Fractal-Bot flow from my MkI days and I just keep trucking along with it!

Thanks for this tip!

Naw, it makes you sound like I guy who hasn't experienced his first "Oh crap, a backup would have saved me!" moment. When it happens, you'll start backing up regularly. :)
It actually happened to me once and rather enjoyed it like I just got a new Axe-Fx. :D

Would I sound like a complete newbie if I admitted I've only done a backup once?

I've never backed up mine ever :sweatsmile:

Holy !@#$ you guys! You live dangerously!

I literally back up my A bank every time I sit down to work. First thing I do: back up Bank A. Then I can start working and know I can get back to where I was at the start of the session. I don't do all banks every time, just Bank A which is where I do most of my work.

And before every firmware update I do a full system backup.

I've been backing up my user cabs less and less because I'm rarely changing them so I can get back to how they were by using an old backup.

Holy !@#$ you guys! You live dangerously!

I literally back up my A bank every time I sit down to work. First thing I do: back up Bank A. Then I can start working and know I can get back to where I was at the start of the session. I don't do all banks every time, just Bank A which is where I do most of my work.

And before every firmware update I do a full system backup.

I've been backing up my user cabs less and less because I'm rarely changing them so I can get back to how they were by using an old backup.
For the most part my patches are never complex enough where I wouldnt be able to remember what i tweaked and need a backup, and If theres ever an effect I get to where I really like I save it as a block (does that count as backing up?)

I'm one of those guys who uses about 10 different patches for everything, but who also ends up making and saving dozens and dozens of others just for fun and experimentation that only end up cluttering everything after having been used for about 5 minutes or so, then forgotten about. I'm basically a patch hoarder.

Because of this, I usually end up deleting everything and starting over every year or so. It's good to separate the wheat from the chaff every now and then.

After my patches are completely cleared, I usually devote preset 000 to a master template with all the effect blocks I normally use, tweaked to how I normally set them up and bypassed except for the Amp and Cab blocks, controllers and modifiers set, then everything gets organized and routed on the grid.

From there, making patches is easy. Go to a blank patch, copy over template patch 000 to get the tedious stuff out of the way, and that's it. All there is to do from there is start turning knobs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom