Going back to cable... Suggestions?

pjrake

Inspired
After ten years of playing with a wireless, I'm going back to using a cable onstage.

Any suggestions on what brand you found goes well with an Axe? What is the length before the tone is affected? I've read it's about 18'. Any truth to this? Thanks!

The elixir cables are nice. I have a 10' that I use when I'm close, otherwise, I just use a proco something or other 25' with a neutrik slient right end jack soldered on. I don't really buy into the whole cable craziness personlly, if it rolls off some high end, turn up your treble knob... total rocket science here.

Personally I wont use a cable live, I have a problem with standing on cables, drives me nuts.

Ive always used monster cables. There is something about walking into any store that sells one and exchanging it for a brand new one, that keeps me. Plus they are goooooooolllllllddddddd

Make your own, the soldering is about as simple as it gets. It's about ⅓ of the price. Canare cable is nice because it doesn't tangle up so easily, same with Mogami.

I have a Colossal cable that is really nice. Zaolla if you can afford it.

Check the Lava Cable website (although he has stopped offering certain other companies for custom cables).

Make your own, the soldering is about as simple as it gets. It's about ⅓ of the price. Canare cable is nice because it doesn't tangle up so easily, same with Mogami.

+1

Canare cable and Neutrik plugs for me, never had any problem with any of the cables I've made. And even if there was a problem, I'd just fix it.

That said, I also have a few good off-the-shelf cables that I've had for years and still use now. The 20ft Horizon cable that lives in my MFC case (used for most gigs) would be over 10 years old and never had a problem.

I was having a bit bright sound from my Suhr guitar so i emailed John Suhr. I got the advice from Him to use a 20 ft cable and not use high capacitance cable. He said Hendrix and other cats were using long cables for a reason.

Another "make your own" here. My leads are stereo so that I can run magnetics and piezos separately, and mix them in the Axe. When I acquired a pa many years ago I bought a drum of decent quality microphone cable to make XLR leads. To make guitar leads I use the same cable and stereo neutriks, right angled at the guitar end, and straight at t'other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like George L's cables... Great sound, low capacitance.

However, they do have some "memory" and can be noisy if banged against stuff.

Solderless connections are nice, cuz they are very simple to make/repair.

Connectors are about $5 each and cable is $1/ft.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom