Go-to bass amps/cabs for classic rock & motown/funk?

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
I'm finally getting back to remastering my backing tracks, re-recording bass and adding some new songs.

For the Fender P users, what are your go-to amps/cabs for classic rock and motown/funk?

I use a made-in-Japan Fender P. My prior bass tracks were Pierce Electronics BC1, solid state amp and SWR 4x10 cab. I sold the cab & power amp. I've messed with BC1 into Mark Bass plugins/cabs and fiddled with pre-Quantum Axe-FX. But that was a few years ago. Just curios what the latest strategies are. Thanks!

the common elements seem to be P bass with flats, and two differing opinions as to whether a B15 was mic'd, or the bass going DI only to a channel strip (slightly overdriven) with tape saturation. Either way should get you there, but I'm of the opinion that it is a DI, having done a fair amount of recordings using vintage channel strips and my trusty EL8 Distressor, to get similar sounds. The CAB block with a null speaker IR could work great for this, perhaps along with the SV Bass amp model providing the preamp/EQ.

Thanks - I'm looking to use the Axe-Fx for all bass recording. Looking through bass forum, it seems the SV plus preferred cab is the most common tool. Bottom line, just curious what Axe-Fx amps/cabs Fender P players are using for classic rock & motown/funk.

You can also get a different vintage flavor with the old Fender Bassman (many versions on the AxeFXII) and companion cabinet. The real amp would just fart out and distort too easily at gig volumes for a lot of bass players, but the joys of digital modeling help to keep that under control.

Light OD is the key for Motown sound. I tried to emulate with AX8 my SolidGoldFX Beta OD - the sweetest pedal for Motown sounds.

My go to amp in AX8 is model of an Orange AD200B bass amp. Very warm sounding.

Light OD is the key for Motown sound. I tried to emulate with AX8 my SolidGoldFX Beta OD - the sweetest pedal for Motown sounds.

My go to amp in AX8 is model of an Orange AD200B bass amp. Very warm sounding.

Hi! May I ask what you used to emulate the beta? I just shot an IR of my Beta DLX, and while the eq curve is nice I still need something to add some overdrive.

Jop

Back
Top Bottom