GM Arts v4 firmware for ALL BJ Devices models

Thanks. I have some Windows computers. Can I ask you about the TB-12 capability?

Is this possible with this device.

1. Assign an up/down bank button then:
2. On Bank 1 Control 10 Axe presets at random. Like Presets 3, 10, 111, 47, 67, etc. skipping around in one Axe bank.
3. On Bank 2 Control Axe looper
4. On Bank 3 use button 1, 2, 3, 4 to issue PC's for fog via channel 3. Then use buttons 5 and 6 to send PC's to turn off/on my Voicelive via channel 4?
5. On Bank 4 use as a utility page with 2 buttons doing Vol. Incr. and Vol. Decr. on Axe via CC#'s 35 & 36 I think.

Can your software pull this off with this device? I only use 10 presets on my Axe but I have 4 or 5 devices I control via MIDI. Would love to use the banks as multiple 'control pages'.

Banks and pages are different things. Banks are for foot-controller presets. The TB-12 can have up to 3 pages of footswitch assignments.

So you could have one page for presets (which can be any preset number you wish), another page for looper controls and a few effects, and a third page for fog and other controls.

Last edited:
Are those presets able to fire bank and program with one button press? Or even 2 would work... bank on the way down and preset on the way up? That would allow me a bank of presets for Axe, a bank for Voicelive, a bank for X32, etc. Providing presets could be channel assigned per preset.

Sorry for all the questions GM. I love grabbing MIDI knowledge when and where I can.

If you download the editor, you'll be able to see how it works. There'as even an emulator built in so you can test how the MFC will work with your setup.

It sounds like it will be able to do what you want, although I think you'll need to use the library (which can send any MIDI message from any footswitch), and possibly overrides as well (which can change how footswitches work on a per-patch basis). Both of these features are in Advanced Mode, so I recommend you get used to Basic mode first.

MFC BANK on the footcontroller simply sets which group of patches are available on any footswitches set as patches. When selecting a patch, you can use an override to send a non-default MIDI BANK (used by the Axe-FX to allow more than 128 presets) with the preset number. Both of these bank types are nothing to do with pages, which give you effectively 3 sets of 12 buttons on the TB-12.

Hope this helps

Reactions: mwd
It does help. Really appreciate it. I sit in front of a Windows computer 8 hours a day... looks like it's time for experimenting and learning. Thanks again.

Hey GM arts - quick question.

I currently have the "official" 2.8FW on my TB-12 ..... in its "System" Menu, the "Target Device" is set to "Auto Select" - this menu also has options for the Axe / Axe 2 / Axe XL / AX8 / Kemper / G Major etc......

If I install your latest 4.03 FW, does this "System" Menu / "Target Device" set to "Auto Select" remain in place (?) -or- is it fully "removed" / " deleted" (?)

Thanks,
Ben

My firmware and factory firmware are completely separate. Loading either one replaces the other, so my firmware replaces the factory firmware, including its settings. And you can also replace my firmware back with the factory firmware, but of course you'd need to save any settings changes again.

I have a PC editor for my firmware with emulator that allows you to experiment with settings without even using your TB-12, so you'll be able to get a good idea if it will work for you. You can save all settings on your PC as well, so they don't get lost. The emulator only does MIDI send, but the editor includes optional settings to receive MIDI for Axe-FX II models which you'll see on your MFC.

I recommend you download the editor and play with the options, basic mode first. The guides also cover all of the features available.

I recommend you download the editor and play with the options, basic mode first. The guides also cover all of the features available.[/QUOTE]

Hi, could you Link me to the PC Editor w/Emulator I can't find it on the BJ devices page. All I really need is the top row for effects and the bottom row for scenes once the preset is selected with bank up or down. At the moment I am doing this with my FCB1010 using Uno software but I am looking at BJ device possibly the 11 with the pedal. Thanks Nick

Sorry I was able to download the Editor and emulator so I will have a play with it. Could you send an example Of the best way to setup my buttons for the setup as stated above if there is a better more efficient way I'd love to see how the BJ 11P device can handle it. I have Tap tempo on Scene 1 after selection also.
Thanks Nick

It depends how many effects and scenes you need to access, but a simple one-page setup on the TB-11P would be:

Code:
PATCH_UP    EFFECT_1   EFFECT_2   EFFECT_3   TAP      EFFECT_4
PATCH_DOWN  SCENE_1    SCENE_2    SCENE_3    SCENE_4

(EFFECT_4 above is the under-pedal footswitch)

You can use advanced features in my firmware to change which effects are controlled in different patches if necessary. You can also use additional pages for more scenes and effects, but of course you'f need to use a footswitch to change pages.

Hope this helps.

GM Arts, question:

I couldn't really find it in the manual for TB-8, but how many midi messages can be sent from one switch press? 2? More?

I don't write the factory firmware for these MFCs, however, I found the manual here: http://bjdevices.com/wiki/doku.php?id=user_guide

My own custom firmware can send bank and PC messages plus CC resets with a patch change button, and 2 x CC messages with effect (IA) buttons in basic mode. Both footswitch types can send almost unlimited MIDI messages in advanced mode.

So, you write custom firmware for the midi switcher? I need a midi switcher that can send a lot of midi messages in one foot press. I know that Voes midi switcher can do 4 messages per switch, and the Morningstar can do 8 midi messages per switch. I was wondering what number of midi messages can be sent in one switch with your firmware.

I don't write the factory firmware for these MFCs, however, I found the manual here: http://bjdevices.com/wiki/doku.php?id=user_guide

My own custom firmware can send bank and PC messages plus CC resets with a patch change button, and 2 x CC messages with effect (IA) buttons in basic mode. Both footswitch types can send almost unlimited MIDI messages in advanced mode.

So, you write custom firmware for the midi switcher? I need a midi switcher that can send a lot of midi messages in one foot press. I know that Voes midi switcher can do 4 messages per switch, and the Morningstar can do 8 midi messages per switch. I was wondering what number of midi messages can be sent in one switch with your firmware.
The answer is in the post you replied to.

Factory firmware able to send 2 program change messages + bank select

Hi ! .

I'm Héctor from Chile (South America) and I have a Axe FX II XL+ . I have some questions about your firmware. I hope your help if you can.

- It's possible 1,2,3,4,5 for scene select ? (how ? , I dont see "scene" selection in editor)
- 6 , 12 for presets up & down
- 7,8,9,10,11 for stompbox effects ?

Thanks !

Hi Héctor,

Yes this is easily possible. Scene select is a type of effect footswitch. There are several options, including "toggle, momentary and select". Using the select type in a group gives you scene selection.

cheers :)

GM Arts version 4.00 firmware is out now for all models in the BJ Devices MFC range.

The main changes for this firmware are:
> Any footswitch can do anything
> All TB models are supported

It includes many powerful and flexible features like dual footswitch functions, send any MIDI message(s) from any footswitch, override standard settings with customised settings on a per-patch basis, and lots more.

Like earlier versions, there's a basic mode which should suit most users, and an advanced mode for those who want to get into the detail.

Click here to read the long list of features and download the user guide, tutorials, PC settings editor, firmware and sample settings files.

Any ideas / thoughts yet if this current 4.02 will allow a user to set up an Axe FX 3 for 2-way communication incl. efx states, tuner display, patch and scene names etc ..... ?

Ben

I don't believe anyone has specifications yet for Axe-FX III MIDI system exclusives. If/when I get an AxeFX III I might be able to see what's happening, but maybe it hasn't even been developed yet.

In the meantime, the existing firmware can still be used as a powerful MFC.

Hey GM Arts !

Above you wrote:- " ... My own custom firmware can send bank and PC messages plus CC resets with a patch change button, and 2 x CC messages with effect (IA) buttons in basic mode. Both footswitch types can send almost unlimited MIDI messages in advanced mode.... "

So ....... does the above mean that:-

=> in "advanced" mode, one button can send, say, for example 1 x Bank Change Message + 3 x PC messages + 6 x CC messages simultaneously so that all 10 messages are transmitted and triggered and applied simultaneously at the same time by the pressing of just the one button (?)

My apologies in advance if I have misunderstood or misinterpreted the functionality of "Advanced" mode.

Ben

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom