Global volume

Flyman1955

I just received my Ax8 and loving it. One problem I am having and that's setting up a global volume pedal. Any tips would be awesome. Also pros and cons of global versus volume block.
Ty fractal family.

There is no such thing as a global volume pedal. You will need to add a Volume block to each preset and assign a controller pedal to it.

There is no such thing as a global volume pedal. You will need to add a Volume block to each preset and assign a controller pedal to it.
This is a false statement. Google ax8 global volume pedal it will come up. There are many global settings that can be set up.

I/O menu -> CRTL -> set input or output (1 or 2) to pedal instead a cc#
But then you must plug a pedal into the Axe Fx pedal jack, right? Or can I do similar with MFC?

I like knowing this stuff even if I wouldn't (currently) use it...

But then you must plug a pedal into the Axe Fx pedal jack, right? Or can I do similar with MFC?

You can set a volume item to a CC# and control it via MIDI. Default settings on Axe-FX & MFC will have XP1 controlling Output 1 Volume this way.

Regarding pros and cons of Global vs Vol Block pedal control...
One important consideration is reverb and delay trails. Any vol control that appears at the END of the signal chain will either increase or attenuate the trails, along w/ the signal. For many people, myself included, that's a non-starter.
So, then, you start premeditating whether you want your vol control BEFORE the amp (which then affects gain, distortion amount, etc) or AFTER the amp (which keeps basic tone consistent). There are a bunch of options for doing either of those 2 approaches... but they all wind up being done on a "per-preset" basis.

Regarding pros and cons of Global vs Vol Block pedal control...
One important consideration is reverb and delay trails. Any vol control that appears at the END of the signal chain will either increase or attenuate the trails, along w/ the signal. For many people, myself included, that's a non-starter.
So, then, you start premeditating whether you want your vol control BEFORE the amp (which then affects gain, distortion amount, etc) or AFTER the amp (which keeps basic tone consistent). There are a bunch of options for doing either of those 2 approaches... but they all wind up being done on a "per-preset" basis.
And pretty much exactly why in my previous post I said I probably would not opt to use this for myself :)

Hello, I‘ve just bought an used AX8, and I think it cames with Global Volume on Pedal Ext 1. I have a preset with a shimmer into a Pedal Ext 1, but when I took of the shimmer, all the volume disappear! Could anyone help me on disable this Global Volume? As I could read on previous posts, I think I’ll prefer using volume blocks when necessary! Thanks

Hello, I‘ve just bought an used AX8, and I think it cames with Global Volume on Pedal Ext 1. I have a preset with a shimmer into a Pedal Ext 1, but when I took of the shimmer, all the volume disappear! Could anyone help me on disable this Global Volume? As I could read on previous posts, I think I’ll prefer using volume blocks when necessary! Thanks
look at the AX8 manual for the Global Volume setup, and change the Output volume assignment from Pedal 1 to None. it's in Setup>I/O>CTRL

Back
Top Bottom