Global Volume Pedal Issue

Wigam2

Inspired
I set up the Global Volume to Pedal 2 and it works. . . except when the FM9 first powers up, it doesn't work until I cycle the pedal down and then up again. So when I turn the unit on with Pedal 2 (an EV-1) in heel down position (off), the guitar can be heard using the volume knob on the guitar despite the volume pedal being off. If I then cycle the pedal toe down and back to heel down, it seems to reset and work until the unit is turned off and turned back on.

I've recalibrated the pedal and that doesn't seem to be the issue. I've also tried using the input volume or output volume and it doesn't seem to matter.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks Rex. The initial value is set to 0% (I did not change it, but verified it's 0%).

I may be wrong but I don't believe MIDI data is a part of setting the global volume as described on P. 11 of the manual - which is what I've followed.

I believe you'll have to assign the Global Volume to an External Controller and then assign that External Controller to Pedal 2 instead of assigning Global Volume directly to Pedal 2. That should make it use the Initial Values settings shown above until the pedal position updates.

I believe you'll have to assign the Global Volume to an External Controller and then assign that External Controller to Pedal 2 instead of assigning Global Volume directly to Pedal 2. That should make it use the Initial Values settings shown above until the pedal position updates.
Yep, I think so. That's why the parameter is called External Controller Initial Value ;)

I didn't think global parameters could be set to External Controls. Also I'm not sure if OP wants the volume to begin at 0 always, or just start at the pedal value (which could be some other value sometimes).
Yeah you're right. Only the pedals and CC#'s can be assigned on the III, not sure on the FM9.

I didn't think global parameters could be set to External Controls. Also I'm not sure if OP wants the volume to begin at 0 always, or just start at the pedal value (which could be some other value sometimes).
This ^^. The volume pedal should be at whatever value the pedal is actually at, not 0 or any other predetermined value (at least that's what I'm after).

According to p.11, under Global Volume Setup it says "Be careful not to assign the same pedal to Volume and an External Controller as described above".

That's because the global volume will always be active in every preset. Once you assign it to global volume, it's not much use for any other parameters because the volume change will always happen in every preset as well.

Sounds like It's a matter of when the pedal position is sampled. It seems like for global volume, it's not sampling the current position at boot up, but rather only after the pedal gets moved. I typically use a volume block in my presets instead because I want delay and reverb tails to ring out when rolling back the volume. If I need an instant mute, I turn on the tuner (which is set to mute out).

Actually I´'m having the same issue, I've also noted that the state of the pedal once you stored the preset also matters when you power the unit, it shouldn't be like that, it should behave like a normal volume pedal, at whatever value the pedal is set, my FX8 worked that way flawlessly, maybe we are missing something?

I have the same issue with the FM3 (have not gotten the FM9 email yet!). This always worked for me on my AX8 and wish they would fix this bug to grab the current value of the pedal on boot up.

Actually I´'m having the same issue, I've also noted that the state of the pedal once you stored the preset also matters when you power the unit, it shouldn't be like that, it should behave like a normal volume pedal, at whatever value the pedal is set, my FX8 worked that way flawlessly, maybe we are missing something?
If you're using global volume (as the OP is) you shouldn't have any volume control in your preset to save...

If you're using a Volume block, the previously mentioned solution using External Controller Initial Value should address it.

Also, you might want to check the PC Reset setting for the modifier.

If you're using global volume (as the OP is) you shouldn't have any volume control in your preset to save...

If you're using a Volume block, the previously mentioned solution using External Controller Initial Value should address it.

Also, you might want to check the PC Reset setting for the modifier.
Yes I'm using the global volume. What I meant is that if I store the preset with the volume in the up position (no volume) when I power the unit that preset is not gonna have volume until I move the pedal, and vice versa. This only happens when you power the unit not when it's already on and you change from preset to preset.

Yes I'm using the global volume. What I meant is that if I store the preset with the volume in the up position (no volume) when I power the unit that preset is not gonna have volume until I move the pedal, and vice versa. This only happens when you power the unit not when it's already on and you change from preset to preset.
Ok I think I stand corrected, I just tried to recreate what I thought happened to me sometime when I stored the preset with the volume up and when I powered the unit it stored like that but it seems i'ts not happening now, so it's just like the OP said, the volume is always full on when you power the unit even if the pedal is on the UP position, you need to move it for the unit to "sense it".

This is most likely done intentionally so that if you don't have the pedal plugged in (or it or a cable fails), your volume isn't stuck turned down making the unit unusable until you plug a pedal in and raise it back up. It would suck to have your expression pedal crap out mid gig, but it would suck immensely more if it accidentally locked your output level all the way down in the process. Keeping the default all the way up takes care of that situation since you can just unplug the cable, reboot, and be back in business in seconds.

Back
Top Bottom