• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish Global Power Amp Presence Value independent of the amp sim...

Global Power Amp Presence Value independent of the amp sim...

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
I'm having a hard time get that tube amp presence sizzle out of my Axe-fx II... so I was hoping maybe having an independent presence value to apply globally or as a separate sim or however it would work out best... I recently A/B'd the Carvin TS100 to my Carvin F1200 and I liked how the power amp's presence knob added some of that sizzle that I'm looking for, with the presence set at zero it was similar in tone at low volumes but it couldn't get anywhere near the volume of the F1200... from what I understand it's the same with the VHT with regards to adding presence... so I'm hoping we can get some of that over for us SS folks.

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
Are you saying that you can't get enough sizzle from the presence setting in the amp block?
Yes... exactly... for whatever reason the presence seems more like it just adds high end as opposed to that tube sizzle that I've heard from tube amps...

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
There's a presence control in the amp block. It is on the second page.
It's times like these that I wished I lived close to your shop so I could just swing by and you could school me on what I'm doing wrong and why the hell I'm not getting the same tube goodness that I'm hearing from other amps into the same cabs....

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
I will try to record it tonight with my phone... hopefully my buddy will take his Trip Rec tonight and my other guitarist already has his TS100 at the jam room so I'll try to record something...

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
A tube amp's presence control is basically a type of treble control. It affects a higher range of frequencies and operates on a different principle but the net effect is an increase in high frequencies. There is also a slight increase in distortion in the higher frequencies since the power amp becomes less linear for those frequencies.

The Axe-Fx actually models the presence control accurately so I'm not sure what your issue might be. However, the affect of the presence control on a tube amp is tightly coupled to the speaker impedance. The Axe-Fx defaults to values that are commensurate with the typical speaker used with the modeled amp. You can vary these parameters though. They are the HF Resonance, Freq and Q. I recommend you experiment with those parameters. Try lowering the Freq and Q and raising the Resonance for starters.

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
A tube amp's presence control is basically a type of treble control. It affects a higher range of frequencies and operates on a different principle but the net effect is an increase in high frequencies. There is also a slight increase in distortion in the higher frequencies since the power amp becomes less linear for those frequencies.

The Axe-Fx actually models the presence control accurately so I'm not sure what your issue might be. However, the affect of the presence control on a tube amp is tightly coupled to the speaker impedance. The Axe-Fx defaults to values that are commensurate with the typical speaker used with the modeled amp. You can vary these parameters though. They are the HF Resonance, Freq and Q. I recommend you experiment with those parameters. Try lowering the Freq and Q and raising the Resonance for starters.
Will do... thanks for the input Cliff...

symphx

Fractal Fanatic
ironic but thats exactly what I like to get rid of, sizzle. I like presence to a point, though with fletcher and munson around I find I turn presence lower at higher vol. Im sure you can add sizzle with the 300 things I use to take it away, from cabinet high cuts to equalizers scattered throughout the axe 2. basically add treble.

Top Bottom