Global output EQ preset workaround? Global Blocks, Scene Revert, or something else?

Tiger1016

Inspired
I am looking for a way to quickly and easily select between a handful of different EQ curve presets to apply to only output 1 and have this selection stick thereafter. I would prefer for the EQ preset selection to stick as I change between presets as well as scenes, but scenes only while in a given preset would be better than nothing. The reason for this is I use 3 different headphones that need different EQ curves to translate well between each other and my Atomic CLR FRFR. I would plan to run the CLR out of output 2 without any EQ adjustments.

A global output preset option would be an ideal and simple option, but that is still not an available so I am looking for the next best alternative.

I had originally thought using Global Blocks might do the trick, but I no longer think this will get me to where I want (let’s see). I have not used Global Blocks yet and I only have an Axe FX II XL at the moment, so I am looking for help. I realize I could manually re-set the EQ in a Global Block and have this pushed down to every preset that is linked, but that would be the same as just manually re-setting the global EQ and I am looking to avoid the manual effort here. What I would instead want to do is somehow be able to either 1) swap the Global Block selection links to EQ curve option 1, 2, or 3 and send that out to all of the linked presets, or 2) perhaps setup up the Global Block references to link to EQ preset option 1 then figure out a way to easily copy and paste the EQ curves from EQ Global Block options 2, 3, or 4 into option 1 to then send around to all of the presets that are linked to option 1, but I am not sure if this particular option would be easy to do on both the Axe unit itself as well as though Axe Edit.

An alternative back up plan might be to use Scene Revert. With this, I would setup the 3 EQ block channels with the proper presets, after I switch to a new preset I would then have to go in and select the appropriate channel, but after that I would at least be set while staying in this particular preset while I switch between scenes. I would strongly prefer to avoid this option as Scene Revert would ruin my normal usage unless a feature came along that allowed us to selectively apply Scene Revert to only certain blocks. Until that selective feature was available, this might be a better than nothing option if there was a way to couple Scene Revert with the ability to make a global selection of the selected EQ channel across all of my presets rather than having to make this switch every time I changed presets.

Perhaps I am missing an alternative option to consider. Does anyone have any helpful ideas here that could help solve this riddle?

Global blocks will probably be the best solution. Save the settings as globals 2, 3, 4, then link EQs in presets to global #1. Load global 2/3/4 (with or without linking, doesn't matter) in any one preset as needed, then save/link to global #1 and store the preset.

With Axe-Edit a quicker method (still leaving above approach usable) would be to keep a preset with those settings in 3 EQ blocks. Then you can just copy one, paste to GEQ1 in a "real" preset (which should leave global 1 link intact) and store. Or have GEQs 2/3/4 with the different curves, plus GEQ1 in the same preset linked to global 1. Then you could copy/paste/save in that one "EQ setter" preset.

With scene revert you'd still need to change the channel in all 8 scenes. That probably isn't much quicker and would only be effective until the next preset change as you mentioned.

Global blocks will probably be the best solution. Save the settings as globals 2, 3, 4, then link EQs in presets to global #1. Load global 2/3/4 (with or without linking, doesn't matter) in any one preset as needed, then save/link to global #1 and store the preset.

With Axe-Edit a quicker method (still leaving above approach usable) would be to keep a preset with those settings in 3 EQ blocks. Then you can just copy one, paste to GEQ1 in a "real" preset (which should leave global 1 link intact) and store. Or have GEQs 2/3/4 with the different curves, plus GEQ1 in the same preset linked to global 1. Then you could copy/paste/save in that one "EQ setter" preset.

With scene revert you'd still need to change the channel in all 8 scenes. That probably isn't much quicker and would only be effective until the next preset change as you mentioned.

Awesome, and thanks! This sounds like the final pieces to this puzzle. Also, it should be something I can test out with my Axe Fx II XL unti I offload some stuff to make way for the III.

Just fyi, FracPad III handles global eq presets ;)

I did ckme across this when I was searching around, and your tool looks really cool (haven't used it yet). In this particular case, I did not think FracPad was exactly what I was looking for since my understanding was I could only access these presets using the tool but not also using the front panel on the Axe.

However, I am working up a different question that I was planning to throw out in the actual FracPad thread as I was conceptualizing using the tool for a different purpose. I'll go into the actual question over there, but the gist of it is trying to find a fully wireless system that would allow me to casually use the Axe in a different room in my house without having to break everything down and move it back and forth or buy a separate FM3 and have 2 devices to manage with different capabilities. Wireless guitar signal and audio monitoring is the easy part, but wireless scene changes via foot controller and preset changes via PC/android or foot is the hard part, especially since I am looking at distances that exceed bluetooth range as far as i know. But I stumbled across something called the midibeam and I am getting intrigued (http://pandamidi.com/midibeam).

Back
Top Bottom