Global out 1 eq, but no out 2 eq?

Zorzella

So my AX8 has "global graphic EQ" for each of its 2 outputs. Looking at the FM3 manual, it seems like it only has one global EQ, for out 1 (page 91 of the owner's manual).

I find that having EQs for the output is essential when playing out -- the flat response of "FRFR"s is not really all that flat. In fact, I often have to make drastic adjustments to the EQ -- a particularly-common scenario is I need to cut 500Hz by about 3dB, 250Hz by about 6dB, 125 by about 9dB, and lower by then 12dB. If I don't do that, the sound is boomy and muddy (particularly the sound of the low E-string). I sometimes also have to tame a bit 8000Hz and above.

In fact, I use them so much that I wish there was some support for storing and recalling presets for these EQs, so I would not need to dial them all the time -- I could also use that store/recall to load mono vs stereo setups...

Anyway, that is to say: the lack of EQ for output 2 in the FM3 seems to indicate to me that the feature is deemed marginal, and I'm curious as to why isn't this something that everyone needs all the time.

If you're getting boomy and muddy on the low end its because you're occupying sonic space where the bass player is supposed to be and the room acoustics are letting you know that your frequency is too low and loud. Set at HPF at 100-120hz and it will kill the boominess and allow the bass player to occupy that space. As a bass player I typically set my HPF at 60hz to kill any boominess my low end causes and adjust as needed for the room. I also set my LPF at 5khz so as not to occupy space where the guitars should be. But I agree with you...should have separate EQ's for each output.

Yep, that's strange.
The Axe FX III manual explicitly stated the second output EQ. I would missing this also, since I usually have an FOH + Guitar Cab combination with different EQs on each out on the AX8.

Yep, that's strange.
The Axe FX III manual explicitly stated the second output EQ. I would missing this also, since I usually have an FOH + Guitar Cab combination with different EQs on each out on the AX8.

Yep I do the same thing. EQ the amp/cab while sending a flat response to FOH. Definitely need EQ for both outputs.

Out 2 of the FM3 is not based on Out 2 of the Axe-Fx III. In fact, it is closer in its design and function to Out 3 or 4 in that it is designed for unity gain as an FX send, tube amp feed, etc. Therefore, like Out 3 or 4, it does not have a global graphic EQ.

However, I can see ow on the FM3, out 2 stands to serve many other purposes. It might be possible to add a global EQ. I will look in to this with no promises.

Last edited:
Darn. This is a big one for me as I connect my FRFR's to Out 2 and use the Out 2 global EQ to tweak it from venue to venue.

@Admin M@ is there a way to add an EQ block on the layout grid so that it would just affect Out 2?

I do. I use Out 1 for FOH and Out 2 for my FRFR's. But I use both Global Output EQ's to make changes to both Outputs as needed at a venue.

If I make the EQ Block a Global Block then any changes will affect all my presets that have it as a Global Block.
No global blocks in the fm3.. at least currently

Add me to those who use the Ax8 Out 2 global EQ to adjust for various backline amp/cab situations...I send Out 1 to FOH and Out 2 before the cab block to a power amp. Which on fly dates can vary and require major adjustment to sound tolerable.

Here's hoping a global EQ can be added on FM3!

I do. I use Out 1 for FOH and Out 2 for my FRFR's. But I use both Global Output EQ's to make changes to both Outputs as needed at a venue.

If I make the EQ Block a Global Block then any changes will affect all my presets that have it as a Global Block.
But you'll need an extra block, and some DSP power. But yes, it's a usable workaround.

Hmmm, well I guess I would use Out 1 for my FRFR's so I can use the Output EQ and use Out 2 for FOH since I generally leave it alone.
Definitely hope Out 2 Global EQ and Global Blocks are able to be added in the future.

check out the full release notes of the Axe-Fx II. it's daunting, and a great read to see how far it's come and just how many updates it's received for over 8 years. https://axefxtutorials.com/axe-fx-ii/axe-fx-ii-release-notes-complete-list/

i think we're in good hands.
Exactly... Also, if memory serves me right, the III didn't have them either on first launch, then all of a sudden...
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-version-1-09-public-beta-2.139558/

"Added Global Blocks..."

I find that having EQs for the output is essential when playing out.
Totally agree on this, in my Ax8 is super useful to have two separate OUT 1/OUT 2 EQ pages.

The flat response of "FRFR"s is not really all that flat.
Mmm a really flat FRFR would cost big dolars, de rest of us mortals have to adapt to our not-so-ideal FRFRs...there are 2 factors to consider:
-The static factor (thanks Cliff): the bright side is that our monitor response even if not totally flat at least it remains static,
this allows us to create presets suitable for live use if we tweak them at gig level and we know our gear, not 100% perfect for each gig but it gets us close to the desired sound.
-The changing factor: the key factor that change from gig to gig is the acoustics of each venue as pointed by Rocketrdr and others...another big factor is the FOH system that very often is not really flat neither . Ergo the ability to make EQ changes on the fly is crucial for a consistent and satisfying tone!

I think we're in good hands.

That's so true!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom