Global out 1 eq, but no out 2 eq?

Sure, the room makes a huge different, but, still, FRFRs themselves do color the sound more than the manufactures want us to think. Here's a shootout of 5 FRFR cabs -- same guitar, same amp settings, same room (ok, sure, slightly different positions inside the room); the sound is quite different (the video points at the time the shootout starts):

I agree with the person's comment at 6:30: "I don't know about you, but I was really surprised how different all these sounded."

Z

Do you have a youtube video?

Did you have the same impression -- i.e. that there's quite a bit of variance between FRFRs?

Actually the thing that surprised me the most is that none of the 5 cabs tested in the video I linked to sounded like any of the other 5... I mean, if 3 cabs sounded the same and 2 sounded different, you'd say these 2 are likely not that flat. But every cab being different from every other cab... That's another deal.

Z

Do you have a youtube video?

Did you have the same impression -- i.e. that there's quite a bit of variance between FRFRs?

Actually the thing that surprised me the most is that none of the 5 cabs tested in the video I linked to sounded like any of the other 5... I mean, if 3 cabs sounded the same and 2 sounded different, you'd say these 2 are likely not that flat. But every cab being different from every other cab... That's another deal.

Z

I agree. Every one of them colored the tone in some shape form or fashion. And the Headrush unit is REALLY boomy.

The cynical part of me thinks that the manufacturers could actually make these more flat, but that consumers (in practice, not theory) don't really like the sound of flat response speakers (a tiny bit of bass boost makes your speaker sound "fuller" than the competition). So the manufacturers build them purposefully not really flat...

Graphic Eq on output 2 please...that’s the way is use my AX8. Out 1 to foh..our 2 to fryette power station and a guitar cab for onstage monitoring. Needs tweaking in every different room. I’m sure the foh soundengineer tweaks my sound from output 1 at the desk as well, as is his perogative...but I’ll never know!

Sure, the room makes a huge different, but, still, FRFRs themselves do color the sound more than the manufactures want us to think. Here's a shootout of 5 FRFR cabs -- same guitar, same amp settings, same room (ok, sure, slightly different positions inside the room); the sound is quite different (the video points at the time the shootout starts):

I agree with the person's comment at 6:30: "I don't know about you, but I was really surprised how different all these sounded."

Z

An array of FRFR cabinets, all lined up against a wall in a hard room. Some in corners, some not. Some on-axis, some off. Under those conditions, even identical speakers will sound different.

But I agree: different FRFR boxes will sound different.

Back
Top Bottom