Global Fixed Blocks Idea

Phostenix

Power User
The "true spillover" discussion, along with things like the Kemper's "Lock" feature have me thinking.

What if the Axe had a global option (for those who want this) to have 2 or 3 fixed global (placeholder) blocks at the beginning and end of the chain in every preset? They would start out as blank blocks that use no CPU, but be identified on the screen as global placeholder blocks. Then, from any preset, if you changed one of the placeholder blocks to a particular effect, it would automatically be placed on all other presets. Any settings that are changed in said block would be changed across all presets. For the sake of flexibility, you could go to another preset & bypass that block & resave, if desired (but a removal of that block or change to a different type of block would restore it to that patch and all others).

To reiterate - if the global setting was off, the unit would operate as it does today, but if the global setting was on you would have these fixed global blocks across presets to use for things like wah, or drive, or delay, reverb, etc.

One issue I can immediately foresee is how do you handle adding a fixed global block to presets that already have 2 of the same block in them and a 3rd instance of that block can't be added (or some similar conflict)? My initial thought is that if people want this type of global functionality, they understand that they give up flexibility to get it and they use the global blocks for the bulk of what they do. This would make exchanging patches a bit of a gamble, too....

Talk amongst yourselves.

You could achieve something (pretty much) similar with the new AxeEdit template feature and the good old global blocks.

What you propose seems too much complicated. The way I understand it would make presets sharing almost impossible. Also editing presets could "corrupt" other presets due to side effects of changing one of those special global blocks (grid cells and block instances are a limited resource).

Back
Top Bottom