Global EQ?

Wildwind

Experienced
Is this not in the AX8? My Axe-Fx has long run such an EQ, mainly a high-end rolloff. My new AX8 uses converted patches. The higher-gain patches have a quality I don't like and I'm thinking this is the culprit (I've only had the AX8 for less than a week, still learning it).

It seems there is a similar EQ at the patch level - is that my fix? Obviously I can tweak the patches, but I like having the same patches for both units.

Also to make my patches work in the AX8, they are pared down a lot to fit. Could that be the source? Just like a real pedalboard - fewer cables/shunts yield a brighter tone? Fractal mimics non-virtual gear well!

Thanks!

Yes there are two global EQs in the AX8. One for Output 1, and one for Output 2, just like the Axe-Fx II

The AX8 does have global EQ on Out 1 & 2. I'm not near my machine and don't remember which settings page it's on...

Just an interesting related thing .. I've been using my output 1 for gigging (into a QSC k8) so I'm keeping the EQ flat.
When I'm home and can't play that loud, I use then the output 2 with some EQ correction to make it sound good - this way I'm not messing around with my "live" tone. Just thought it was a nice tip to share!

Very nice tip! Thanks! I can use that.

As for the global EQ - I found it right where you said and made the change. I'm not sure it solved my problem, will explore more after work.

I still think I'm hearing an overall brighter tone from the AX8. Could just be my imagination. At any rate, making any tone changes won't hurt anything between the units.

As for the global EQ - I found it right where you said and made the change. I'm not sure it solved my problem, will explore more after work.

I still think I'm hearing an overall brighter tone from the AX8. Could just be my imagination. At any rate, making any tone changes won't hurt anything between the units.
Could also be differences in firmware versions?

So you made the jump, Wildwind? I would be curious to hear your pros/cons after you start using the AX8. I keep thinking about it everytime I lug my Axe II case around...

Just an interesting related thing .. I've been using my output 1 for gigging (into a QSC k8) so I'm keeping the EQ flat.
When I'm home and can't play that loud, I use then the output 2 with some EQ correction to make it sound good - this way I'm not messing around with my "live" tone. Just thought it was a nice tip to share!
I do the same except I use out 2 for my monitor which is a Friedman ASM-12. I just dip the mids a bit but out1 has a different eq and can be changed per venue. Would love to be able to save a 'profile' and just then reapply if to an out EG. For instance, if Venue 1 has a standard PA and room and you have the EQ set fo that, you could rock up there and set it back to that room as a good starting point each time you play there.

Hi Jake,

Yeah, I finally got an AX8. I still have the Axe-Fx, though, and am reluctant to part with it. But the AX8 is just SO convenient...I really learned to hate lugging that rack around, plus the MFC, etc. And it really does sound like the Axe-Fx.

I've only had it a week, but I'm loving it. It took a couple of hours to learn it and then pare down my Axe-Fx patches to keep them under the CPU limit, but no biggie. Those patches had blocks I rarely or never used.

So this is my new favorite toy and it gives me Fractal tone wherever I am after trying a lot of lesser products and trying to tell myself they sounded pretty good. Then I'd plug into the Axe-Fx and my sound was in 3D again and just inspired me. Life's way too short to not be inspired...

Greg

Hi Jake,

Yeah, I finally got an AX8. I still have the Axe-Fx, though, and am reluctant to part with it. But the AX8 is just SO convenient...I really learned to hate lugging that rack around, plus the MFC, etc. And it really does sound like the Axe-Fx.

I've only had it a week, but I'm loving it. It took a couple of hours to learn it and then pare down my Axe-Fx patches to keep them under the CPU limit, but no biggie. Those patches had blocks I rarely or never used.

So this is my new favorite toy and it gives me Fractal tone wherever I am after trying a lot of lesser products and trying to tell myself they sounded pretty good. Then I'd plug into the Axe-Fx and my sound was in 3D again and just inspired me. Life's way too short to not be inspired...

Greg
Thanks for the reply, Greg. You've covered my main concern, which is keeping under the CPU limit. I'm glad you're getting on with the AX8!

Sounds like I better start setting some money aside each month...

Brighter than what ?

So I have a 1/4" running from out 2 of the ax8 into my Matrix amp but no matter what I try I am not getting sound into my frfr cab. The out 2 volume knob is up on the ax8, what am I missing?

So I have a 1/4" running from out 2 of the ax8 into my Matrix amp but no matter what I try I am not getting sound into my frfr cab. The out 2 volume knob is up on the ax8, what am I missing?
You need an FX Loop block in the preset, or set the Out 2 Echo in the I/O menu. Consult the manual. Out 2 doesn't produce sound without one of those options.

Back
Top Bottom