Global EQ

jzucker

Experienced
How do I get to it? I find that at gig volumes, due to the fletcher Munson and possibly eq characteristics of my monitors, I get really loud, booming bass. So I'd like to have a global eq I can switch on for gigging or loud volumes without having to tweak individual patches.

I/

I/O button then page over until you see them, there's one for out one and two. I would leave one flat for home and set one for the venue you play.

More importantly, why aren't there Global EQ profiles? This would be enormously useful feature!
-
Austin

One of my wishes from the ultra days. If there were a few slots you could have each place you play eq'd and ready to go. Until then I we have to write the settings down?

More importantly, why aren't there Global EQ profiles? This would be an enormously useful feature!
-
Austin

I'll add my voice to this too - but I think for a slightly different reason. I've recently come to realize that the dynamics and freq response is so good on this thing that I have to seriously tweak the eq for each guitar (more than would be necessary with lesser modelers). Having Global EQ profiles would allow me to store slighly different EQs for each guitar.

RR

Based on "lessons learned" by reading this excellent forum I have a global GEQ at the end of the signal chain in all my presets and I can easily switch this on/off via a controller. How to accomplish this;

1. Put a PEQ at the end (or near the end) of the signal chain in the presets, you use both at low (home) and loud (live) volumes

2. Make the PEQ a global block

3. Allow the "Bypass Mode" of the PEQ to be controlled by a modifier and set the source to e.g. "Extern 12" (under "Source" in the "Edit Modifier" window if you are using Axe Edit)

4. From the front panel of the Axe Fx you can switch the PEQ on/off via I/O -> Midi -> scroll down to "EXT CTRL INIT VAL". Set this to 100% to switch the PEQ on or 0% to switch it off. This makes it VERY easy to switch between "live" and "home" mode.

5. Adjust the PEQ to taste and save.

For "Frequency 1 Type" and Frequency 2 Type" I use "Shelving2" and currently I have set "Freq 1" to 120 Hz, Q1 to 0.66 and Gain 1 to -12 db. In addition, I have high cut and a slight mid boost. I have an XL and the PEQ has x/y state and I use x for clean and edge of breakup sounds and y for crunch and more distorted sounds. If you want to have different PEQ for different guitars I guess you need to use another PEQ (or GEQ) block and make it/them global and controlled by the source/controller as described above. If you use many PEQ and GEQ blocks elsewhere in your presets and also want individual blocks for different guitars you sooner or later will run out of EQ blocks, but hey - we have four GEQ and four PEQ blocks available (in addition to the global ones found by pressing the "Global" button on the front panel).

I was also putting a few EQs in every preset on my AF2. I ripped them out of my presets when I ported to AX8 to save precious CPU cycles.

Based on "lessons learned" by reading this excellent forum I have a global GEQ at the end of the signal chain in all my presets and I can easily switch this on/off via a controller. How to accomplish this;

1. Put a PEQ at the end (or near the end) of the signal chain in the presets, you use both at low (home) and loud (live) volumes

2. Make the PEQ a global block

3. Allow the "Bypass Mode" of the PEQ to be controlled by a modifier and set the source to e.g. "Extern 12" (under "Source" in the "Edit Modifier" window if you are using Axe Edit)

4. From the front panel of the Axe Fx you can switch the PEQ on/off via I/O -> Midi -> scroll down to "EXT CTRL INIT VAL". Set this to 100% to switch the PEQ on or 0% to switch it off. This makes it VERY easy to switch between "live" and "home" mode.

Yes, that's the way to do it. I still use this to turn on/off a mid-boost across all my presets when switching between FR-monitoring and a traditional cabinet.

Global EQ presets would be great, eq to a room and save for next time.

As for access to global EQ via axe-edit, not going to happen. Axe-Edit is for patch creation/tweeking. Global EQ is not patch specific. The global EQ is primarily used to eq to a room, and live most won't be plugged into a PC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom