Global EQ frfr atomic

melodisk

Hi Guys,im running my ultra with 2 new Atomic frfr,i was wondering if you guys set the global EQ flat,it seems to me when i download new presets
for the Atomic,they just dont sound as good as you guys say they do,i even installed the firmware again and reset my system parameters,im runnin the
Atomics with the tweeter at 12 o´clock and master is almost full,i have a thousand guitars in my studio but its the same result,something is teasing me here.

I think there are too many variables to realistically expect to plug n' play presets from somebody else. Presets that are based on their technique, their guitar(s), their pickup(s), their amp, their monitoring solution, and their ears.

There are plenty of threads where people have shared patches and either (a) others didn't like them or (b) they had to make adjustments to get them acceptable to their own ears.

If you download patches adjustment as necessary or maybe use an idea or concept in the patch for one of your own.

Yes it´s very true that we all sound different,i know all about that,but im just trying to find out if something is wrong with the axe before i start tweaking my own presets again,
my global EQ is set to flat,and it seems that there´s to much 125hz bass on the whole rig,i could dial it out,it makes some of my midrange sound very distorted
and thats bad when you want a nice clean sound,maybe i should take them out of my studio and try them in another room,my old greenback cabinets sounds much better right now,
could it be possible that my midisport uno is not updating the axe correct,even if the axe is saying its all good??? ,im going crazy,ha ha

some of my patches-after switching from a SS Fr (dont know if that is relevant) were a bit boomy.
I cleaned it up in the amp block using the speaker resonant frequency parameter (advanved tab)- for me, moving the resonant center from 95HZ to about 65-70 cleaned things up.
perhaps you have a bit of the same?

melodisk said:
Yes it´s very true that we all sound different,i know all about that,but im just trying to find out if something is wrong with the axe before i start tweaking my own presets again,
my global EQ is set to flat,and it seems that there´s to much 125hz bass on the whole rig,i could dial it out,it makes some of my midrange sound very distorted
and thats bad when you want a nice clean sound,maybe i should take them out of my studio and try them in another room,my old greenback cabinets sounds much better right now,
could it be possible that my midisport uno is not updating the axe correct,even if the axe is saying its all good??? ,im going crazy,ha ha

Yeah, I think I may not have really comprehended what you were asking. My bad. Before the Atomics was there a preset that you were really familiar with that sounded good on whatever you were monitoring before you got the Atomics? Maybe A/B the different monitors with that preset and see what the differences are?

my old setup was an Engl 840 poweramp and my old greenback cabinets,thats a very different gear but i liked the sound of it but still wanted to try the atomics,
and im shure it will work somehow,my old gear seemed to play louder and more clean,but thats 4x12,so i guess they are pushing more air,dont know how much the Atomics can handle before
they break up,with the bas/midrange rumble rigth now,they cant handle to much,but ill try to eq,and adjust resonant filter :)
is the amp suppose to default to passive tonestack all the time,whats the point in that.
kim...

melodisk said:
my old setup was an Engl 840 poweramp and my old greenback cabinets,thats a very different gear but i liked the sound of it but still wanted to try the atomics,
and im shure it will work somehow,my old gear seemed to play louder and more clean,but thats 4x12,so i guess they are pushing more air,dont know how much the Atomics can handle before
they break up,with the bas/midrange rumble rigth now,they cant handle to much,but ill try to eq,and adjust resonant filter :)
is the amp suppose to default to passive tonestack all the time,whats the point in that.
kim...

You can change the default tonestack for new patches you create by hitting Global, go the the Config page (should be the default page) and find the Default Tonestack parameter. Set it to however you like it. On a go-forward basis any new presets, when you drop in an amp, the amp will have the tonestack type set in Global.

but that just gives you an option to choose passive or active,it would be nice if the tonestack changed when i changed amp type,or am i missing something,ill check it later,
,thanks for all your replies,good stuff.
my rig is sounding better and better,but i still have to work a lot on my clean sounds,im getting there.

http://www.myspace.com/kimnjorgensen

melodisk said:
but that just gives you an option to choose passive or active,it would be nice if the tonestack changed when i changed amp type,or am i missing something,ill check it later,
,thanks for all your replies,good stuff.
my rig is sounding better and better,but i still have to work a lot on my clean sounds,im getting there.

http://www.myspace.com/kimnjorgensen

You can override the default global setting in the preset itself. In other words there isn't a default per amp just a global default and if you want to change the global default you can override it in the preset.

melodisk said:

Going from a traditional guitar cab to FRFR WILL require tweaking, there is really no way around that. The Atomics should not "break up" in the same sense of traditional guitar cabs, either. They are designed for a FLAT response with minimal coloration.

okay,would be nice when turning the amp to plexi or something that the tonestack also did it,but i can live with it,
maybe cliff will look at it.
yes it´s true that FRFR dont break up like a regular guitar cab,i was thinkin more of volume,maxed out,break up,
how much can the atomics handle,i guess i have to try them on an upcoming job to find out.

Actually the "PASSIVE" tonestack varies along with the model, providing a faithful reproduction of the amp's original tonestack. ACTIVE OTOH is a fixed 3-band active EQ. The named tonestacks are for mixing-and-matching tonestacks other than the amp's original one.

Say, if you change your amp model to USA LEAD, the passive tonestack will be the same as the USA LEAD tonestack. If you choose a JCM 800, it will be the brit tone stack in passive.

Hope I have made things a bit more clear =)

I had exactly the same problem - some of my patches were too boomy. The only chance is to build your favorite presets from scratch to fit it to the Atomics...

i don't have the fratomics,but i had the same 100 to 125hz problem with my rig.pulling those freq. down with Para Eq. helped alot.another trick is in the Amp sim Adv. tab.adjust the LF and HF freq. cutoff on the amp block.that also tightens things up a bit.the speaker resonant freq. thing, already mentioned,also works.

there are so many ways to tweak this unit!! :shock: there's no right or wrong way.find the solution that works for you.any of the ones suggested so far should work.you may even find a new solution. ;)

I had a stange experience with my midisport uno,some say they dont work,some say they do,mine didnt work to good,but after
tweaking my ram in my bios,everything is working fine,so i guess they are sensitive to ram timing maybe???
anyway,now when i use my editor it all sounds correct,just a tip for you midi sport folks....
kim...

It really helped when i turned down thump & warmth to Zero,and raised the Atomics and moved them around in the room,
also i tend to put transformer match up around 10,and with the new Red Wirez impulses,Holy Cow this Beast is alive :)
Thanks for the info on the tonestack,i always thougth i had to choose amp type and then tonestack type,instead of calling it
Passive,it should maybe have been called Default.
thanks Guys.

Cliff is the man :cool:

That is most likely the coupling effect (bass) you are noticing- you will have the same response with any amp or monitor, perhaps it different degrees but present in all.

Back
Top Bottom