Global Effects Level Question

kkolb71

Inspired
I have been playing a lot of outdoor shows recently mixed in with the normal club shows and have been manually adjusting delay and reverb to fit both types of venues. I understand the global level for delay and reverb and linking them as global blocks but I still have a question. As an example, one of my normal "indoor" presets may have delay set a 15% mix and another preset I normally would have at 30% mix. I assume if I link them to the global control both would have to be at the same value. It would be really nice for the global control over reverb and delay to based on a percentage of the current saved value of each preset. This would allow, for example, a 10% increase in mix parameter of both reverb and delay in all presets with one turn of a knob allowing each preset to retain its individual nuances only increased by the value of the global controller changes. Is this scenario or something similar currently possible? Thanks for any help on this subject.

It's based on the current preset's mix value. If you set the global mix to +10% your presets with delay at 15% and 30% will sound as if mix was adjusted to 17.5% and 33%.

This might not affect you, but it seems like a good time to repost a suggestion I made a few years ago:

A better way to implement global mix would be as a gain control for the wet signal only, after all block processing. That way if you're using a routing with reverb/delay at 100% mix, you could adjust the effect level instead of having the global mix control do nothing (positive) or add unwanted dry signal (negative). IOW you could just set the global value to +1 dB and your delay/reverb/whatever signal goes up 1 dB with no unwanted dry level or signal flow changes.

A better way to implement global mix would be as a gain control for the wet signal only, after all block processing. That way if you're using a routing with reverb/delay at 100% mix, you could adjust the effect level instead of having the global mix control do nothing (positive) or add unwanted dry signal (negative). IOW you could just set the global value to +1 dB and your delay/reverb/whatever signal goes up 1 dB with no unwanted dry level or signal flow changes.

This would be great!!!!

I don't make the calculations in my head with the current global mix, I just adjust by ear. Having a real world setting like this would be easier. Changing between ears, wedges, outdoors etc. simple dB settings would rock!

It's probably not what you want, but a nice advice anyway:
If you still have unused IAs on your midi board, you can assign one to an external control, then assign the external control modifier to either input gain or mix (what you like more) on each preset. All you then need to to is set the min and max values so that the IA switches between two settings (high and low mix).
If you set the IA to global, the state of the IA will carry over when changing presets, so that you can switch between your live and home setting with just one button press.

You can also assign the control knobs B,C and D (they are listed as "manual control" in the modifier list) to mix/input gain and then adjust the parameter to taste in the live situation (for this scenario, set the "home use" value to max and min to 0, it will then work like a percentage control).
I think the manual control knobs are one of the most under-used features of the Axe FX II ever. But they are quite nice for quick adjustments on the fly!

PS: You can't use manual control A, even if it is listed as a modifier, as manual control A selects the scene in the recall screen.

Last edited:
PS: You can't use manual control A, even if it is listed as a modifier, as manual control A selects the scene in the recall screen.

A/B/C/D all work as modifier sources at the Control: Manual screen only. At the recall screen B, C & D have no function. If you did this also realize it's something you'd have to adjust & store per preset.

Another workaround for usable global mix w/ parallel 100% effects is sending them through a global volume or filter block. Then you could set the level & store in one preset to affect all.

Guys thanks very much for the feedback on this. Some very innovative ideas and I appreciate your time responding. I think I may have figured out an easier way. I think I can just leave the "x" state of delay and reverb blocks for normal indoor shows and set the "y" block to be the different level I think I need for the outdoor stuff. I guess I could also add a delay 2 and reverb 2 block to the chain and specify a scene for outdoor shows that toggles between the delay/reverb 1 and 2 blocks. This is a great forum with a lot of helpful people. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom