Closed Global blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poparad

Power User
I don't have an FM3 yet (waiting for the headphone version), but I've been on a II for 6 or 7 years now. One of the ways I get around CPU limitations on the II is to have similar patches back to back but with differing effects. For the elements that stay the same (amp, cab, etc), I use global blocks so if I can tweak it easily without needing to copy edits between several presets. I just read that the FM3 doesn't have global blocks and there's no plan to implement them. That seems odd to me on a device where CPU limitations are still something to deal with (as opposed to the III's huge overhead).

I don't have an FM3 yet (waiting for the headphone version), but I've been on a II for 6 or 7 years now. One of the ways I get around CPU limitations on the II is to have similar patches back to back but with differing effects. For the elements that stay the same (amp, cab, etc), I use global blocks so if I can tweak it easily without needing to copy edits between several presets. I just read that the FM3 doesn't have global blocks and there's no plan to implement them. That seems odd to me on a device where CPU limitations are still something to deal with (as opposed to the III's huge overhead).
I saw some posts saying this wasn't out of the question for adding the feature in a later firmware (of course I can't find them right now so I could be wrong). Since we haven't really seen a significant firmware release (just some bug fixes at the moment) since 1.01 I wouldn't give up yet.

Where in the wiki?
I've been trying to find the same statement. I've only seen that statement for the AX8 and FX8. The comment "Fractal Audio products are not static. If there is enough demand for a feature we usually attempt to incorporate it." was made in the thread below so while it's not a sure thing at the moment I wouldn't rule it out for future firmware updates. If it's just not possible and never happens then I trust that not having it would be the right decision made by fractal, even if it's inconvenient for us.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/global-out-1-eq-but-no-out-2-eq.158694/#post-1895514

I am now an FM3 user! Global blocks would definitely simplify things for me. Because of the CPU limitations, I'm having to duplicate a couple of patches with effects spread out across them instead of just having one kitchen-sink preset. If I decide to tweak some amp or cab settings in one patch, I have to go through and copy and paste or manually tweak the settings in every patch, which is very time consuming and also prone to copy/paste mishaps. Having global blocks would be a lifesaver!

Suggestion for an alternative to global blocks:
  • "LINK TO PRESET xxx"
This would be a new parameter in all blocks. It establishes a link between the block in the current preset to the same block in another (source) preset.

Important: this is not an automatic (dynamic) link. There's no impact on preset loading times.

To handle the updating, the GUI would provide an "UPDATE LINKED BLOCKS" parameter. Per preset as well as a global parameter. This launches a batch update process, but only when the user decides to do so.

The result is similar to Global blocks, but maybe easier to implement.

Another lightweight option with a similar result would be to let users change the default settings of any block, and then update any block to its new default setting, or revert to factory default setting.

Example:
1. I set my amp block to my desired settings: Matchbox 30 on Channel A, Friedman HBE on Channel B, and Bad Kitty with both input boosts and saturation enabled on Channel C.
2. I save that as the default setting for the amp block
3. I create a new preset and add the amp block, and it is inserted with my settings above.

Then I decide that I don't like gain saturation on the Bad Kitty block after all.
1. I turn off saturation on any preset.
2. Click "Update block defaults" button

Then, for any other presets where I want my Bad Kitty to be updated without gain saturation, I simply restore that preset to default. There would need to be a bulk option, and maybe an ignore / per preset option. But food for thought about how a similar result could be achieved with less engineering effort.

Global blocks pleeeeaaaassseeee! Then when I tweak on the fly at a rehearsal or gig, it can be reflected across the linked presets for that gig.

The biggest thing I am missing since the move from the III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom