Wish Global Blocks

naka2112

Inspired
This would be amazing. So we do around 50 tunes, and I pretty much use the same ovedrive in each song/preset. If I decide I need a little more treble for some reason, I have to change it 50 times. If we had the option for global blocks like the Axe FX, then changing the treble, or any parameter, in a single preset, would change it across all presets.

Would be very nice. I just switched amps and had to go back and roll the tone off a bit on every OD and Distortion block I had in my presets.

Yeah , this would be great. If memory serves me, is t there a global eq in settings? I could easily be wrong.

Yeah, but EQ isn't the only thing. I'm a bassist, and I typically run with compressor, a light touch of delay, a slight touch of SansAmp Bass DI, and an Aphex Aural Exciter all always-on. The only things I change beyond that are actual effects that I switch on/off during a performance. Ideally there'd be some way to designate each of the upper 4 blocks as "global/universal", so they "stick" there across all presets/scenes/etc and you only have to set them up once. And then also provide the ability for me to manually/custom-route the pedal chain... what I want is the compressor and delay first in the chain, then all my switchable effects, followed by the SansAmp and finally the Aphex. So I'd need the ability to have slots 1 & 2 first, then the output of 2 running into 5, 6, 7, 8, and then the output of 8 running back into 3 & 4, with 4 being the last in the chain.

Yeah, but EQ isn't the only thing. I'm a bassist, and I typically run with compressor, a light touch of delay, a slight touch of SansAmp Bass DI, and an Aphex Aural Exciter all always-on. The only things I change beyond that are actual effects that I switch on/off during a performance. Ideally there'd be some way to designate each of the upper 4 blocks as "global/universal", so they "stick" there across all presets/scenes/etc and you only have to set them up once. And then also provide the ability for me to manually/custom-route the pedal chain... what I want is the compressor and delay first in the chain, then all my switchable effects, followed by the SansAmp and finally the Aphex. So I'd need the ability to have slots 1 & 2 first, then the output of 2 running into 5, 6, 7, 8, and then the output of 8 running back into 3 & 4, with 4 being the last in the chain.

It sounds like you don't mind the audio chain remaining as 1 > 8 (personally, I'd like to see an 8 > 1 reverse swap), but you'd like the footswitches themselves to be customizable. That would be more akin to real world wiring, where you'd wire things serially in audio path order, but place on your board where convenience dictates.

Full customization would be the ideal, but short of that, I'd prefer 4>3>2>1>8>7>6>5 ordering... input side should always be on the right, output side should always be on the left, and top row should be before bottom row.

It might be easier to just have parameters similar to the delay and reverb global settings for tuning to a room. You could have a global page for each type of block, and then when you build a preset you can specify whether you want each block to sync to the global parameters or not.

I guess this isn't much different than just changing the default block settings (the settings the block has when you first insert it in a preset or reset it). If you could edit these block definitions, then have an option to choose which blocks in the presets automatically update to match the definitions.. Done. No configuration settings required for which buttons are global etc.

It might be easier to just have parameters similar to the delay and reverb global settings for tuning to a room. You could have a global page for each type of block, and then when you build a preset you can specify whether you want each block to sync to the global parameters or not.

Hi there

I don't think this would be sufficient, as there are too many important parameters that someone might want to change. I think we need global blocks.

For example, most of my presets, which I use for songs, have the same overdrive in them. I recently decided that each overdrive had too much gain. So I had to go through 50 presets and roll back the gain. Now when we rehearse, I'll decide if it's right. If not I have to do it again.

On the axe fx2, this would be a 3 second ordeal. You go to one preset/song and adjust the overdrive block. All the other songs that use the same block are also changed. Same thing can happen when you decide your lead tone needs a little more feedback on the delay repeats -each song that has a lead tone has to be tweaked separately.

My scheme above would account for that. (The second paragraph) Just change the block definition. All the blocks that you have set up to sync with the definition will all update to match your changes. Just a thought. If the axe fx already has global blocks then that probably makes more sense. But my scheme above allows full flexibility and seems like it would be much less programming to implement.

I just made this same comment in the AX8 Discussion area, but it bears repeating with regards to the FX8:

The FX8 was not designed for use with Global Block, and there are no plans to add them.. You already have similar capabilities in FX8-Edit.

I just made this same comment in the AX8 Discussion area, but it bears repeating with regards to the FX8:

The FX8 was not designed for use with Global Block, and there are no plans to add them.. You already have similar capabilities in FX8-Edit.

In FX8 Edit, if I save a (say) drive block and use it on several presets/scenes, when I change it wouldn't it change all the presets/scenes that use it automatically to the new values ?

In FX8 Edit, if I save a (say) drive block and use it on several presets/scenes, when I change it wouldn't it change all the presets/scenes that use it automatically to the new values ?
You have to export the block to the library, and re-import it into the other presets.

You have to export the block to the library, and re-import it into the other presets.

Could there be an FX8 Edit feature to update all blocks by right clicking the block you want to copy across to all others ?

Like a menu option then "save all" which writes them to the fx8

Last edited:
That's an interesting idea. I discussed this with the software folks. We'll see where it goes.

It's a feature called "Global Paste" on Yamaha CL consoles and it's fantastic. I suggested it on another thread as a solution to the AX8/FX8 Global Blocks conundrum. It's a form of offline editing though, in that you could potentially paste in a block with CPU usage that tips a preset (or several) into an unusable state. It works on the Yamahas because of an arch that doesn't need to manage CPU (or expose it to the end user).

That's a real shame, it would be very handy.

Back
Top Bottom