Global blocks included?

I couldn’t find anything that would resemble global blocks in the manual.

It’s hard to imagine a reason why they couldn’t be added in the future, given all the extra memory and CPU power in the III.

That said, if a feature is mission critical to you, don’t buy a device simply hoping it will be implemented because it can. Devs may have other priorities.

"
  • Mic modeling and Speaker Size parameter (Cab) and Character parameters (Amp)."

Sucks too...

Yeah, looks like we lost some valuable capabilities along the way.

Gained many new things, obviously, but not without cost here and there.

Hopefully, most of these losses are temporary, simply because not everything has been ported yet.

But global blocks are a big deal. I had a small hope that the new MIDI block would have some fancy preset management that would allow me to reuse presets instead of blocks between songs, but no, it’s a barebone thing, nothing to write home about. :(

Overall, I don’t want to sound too negative, but my enthusiasm for the thing has mostly disappeared after reading the manual. It’s still a great device, obviously, but I just don’t see how to fit it into my workflow for now. Choices...

THAT is a bummer. Global blocks are a key part of my workflows, especially for getting predictable volume boosts for leads across all my presets.

C’mon, FAS...any way you can shed light on whether you intend to support global blocks, or something even better in the III? This may be a deal breaker for me unless there is an easy way to level all channels, then provide a controllable boost for solos that crosses presets.

I couldn’t find anything that would resemble global blocks in the manual.

It’s hard to imagine a reason why they couldn’t be added in the future, given all the extra memory and CPU power in the III.

That said, if a feature is mission critical to you, don’t buy a device simply hoping it will be implemented because it can. Devs may have other priorities.

Re: Global Blocks

THAT is a bummer. Global blocks are a key part of my workflows, especially for getting predictable volume boosts for leads across all my presets.

C’mon, FAS...any way you can shed light on whether you intend to support global blocks, or something even better in the III? This may be a deal breaker for me unless there is an easy way to level all channels, then provide a controllable boost for solos that crosses presets.

Yeah...,

Yeah, looks like we lost some valuable capabilities along the way....

But global blocks are a big deal.

Yeah, again...,

If I were a bettin' man, I would expect one of two outcomes:

(a.) Global Blocks will eventually be implemented in a firmware update; or,
(b.) Some superior replacement ("Super"-blocks?) will eventually be implemented in a firmware update.

After all, they do seem a natural part of the workflow. And FAS didn't introduce a color screen, oodles of inputs and outputs, channels, and an improved line of foot-controllers on the way, for the sake of taking away capabilities.

As for how soon?

Well, who knows. Maybe next year for all I know. But consider this: They just started shipping; for all I know the first person on the waiting list hasn't even received their unit yet; and they already have released a firmware update.

We know the character of this company; they can be relied upon.

From Charles Williams' Mount Badon:
Staring, motionless, he sat.
Dimly behind him he heard how his staff stirred.

One said: "He dreams or makes verse"; one: "Fool,
all lies in a passion of patience — my lord's rule."
In a passion of patience he waited the expected second.

The second that the Axe III box arrives at the front door; or that the new firmware feature is added, we'll be as thrilled as a kid on Christmas morning.

In the meantime, in a passion of patience, we await the expected second.

Last edited:
No Global Blocks? Hmmm....that might be a deal breaker. My entire workflow depends on that. Honestly, this is one of the features that made the unit superior to other competitors. For example, Global Blocks have been on the wishlist for Helix for a long time. Hopefully they will bring it back or offer something even better.

Last edited:
Some of those features that are gone are quite useful... Like, the metronome... I wonder why they removed them...
I believe it's more like "Didn't code it yet".

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll only miss the mic sims...

I'm asking this question for information, and not to be in any way provocative or controversial, but aren't many IRs captured using microphones that are "baked in" to the resulting IR, thus rendering the separate mic sim superfluous? The Cab block in the Axe III can effectively mix up to 4 IRs and there are going to be 2048 factory IRs to start with, plus as many user IRs if you have them?

Please explain what the benefits are, apart from having to audition fewer IRs? Can one not achieve the same results simply using a preferred IR and EQ?

Global Blocks are on the roadmap but didn't make it into the release firmware. It's a VERY difficult thing to implement correctly.

Great news!

I am new to the Axe-FX world (coming from traditional amps and pedals) and, after reading the WHOLE Axe-FX II manual in roughly 3 hours, I went straight to the waitlist on g66 to get an Axe-FX III :) I must admit that Global Blocks was among the things that made me go "this is awesome".

Back
Top Bottom