GLOBAL AMPS STILL A MYSTERY TO ME

sprint

Axe-Master
Hi:

I know this is a dumb question since many use Global Amps successfully but after reading various posts and the wiki I'm still not getting how these work. I must be missing something.

In any given preset I want to call up one of a hand full of standard settings that I've saved in one of 10 global slots. That's the purpose as I understand it and I'm good to there.

Where I'm fuzzy is how to set these up and save them for use in presets.

Am I creating presets that just contain an amp block set to one of the global slots?

Can someone explain the process - I find the wiki quite fuzzy.

Hi:

I know this is a dumb question since many use Global Amps successfully but after reading various posts and the wiki I'm still not getting how these work. I must be missing something.

In any given preset I want to call up one of a hand full of standard settings that I've saved in one of 10 global slots. That's the purpose as I understand it and I'm good to there.

Where I'm fuzzy is how to set these up and save them for use in presets.

Am I creating presets that just contain an amp block set to one of the global slots?

Can someone explain the process - I find the wiki quite fuzzy.
I feel your pain on this, I've never really understood it either.

The Global Amp feature is pretty straightforward, once you've used it a couple of times. Straight from the factory, the global amps are empty. Here's how to use them.

1. Edit a preset. Decide which of the ten global amps you want to assign it to, then set the GLOBL parameter to equal that value (for example, set GLOBL to "Global 1" to assign your amp to Global Amp 1).
  2. Tweak the amp sim the way you want it to sound.
  3. Save the preset. Your new global amp is is now stored.
  4. To call up the global amp in another preset, go to that other preset and set the GLOBL parameter to the global amp that you want to use. That preset is now using your global amp. (Be sure to save your new preset.)
Any tweaks you make to the amp sim (in a preset that uses that global amp) will be applied to the global amp itself, provided you save your tweaks.

Thanks Rex - appreciate the info.

What's strange to me about this system is that, in the end, you can't really tell which presets are the ones that were originally meant to be the global values and which are the ones that are using the global values.

I think what I will do is to set up 10 presets and call the GlobalAmp1 - 10. These will be my global amp presets and will only contain an amp block set to a global value. Anyone else doing it this way? The trick is to avoid tweaking amp parameters in presets that point to one of the global slots. Always, using the editor helps prevent this since it does not allow you to tweak amp parameters on a preset with a global amp value (I suspect this is by design rather than a bug which other posts indicated).

Thanks Again

What's strange to me about this system is that, in the end, you can't really tell which presets are the ones that were originally meant to be the global values and which are the ones that are using the global values.
It doesn't matter. The global values affect all presets that use them. If you want to change Global Amp 1, for example, you don't have to hunt down the preset where you origianlly created it. You can tweak it in any preset that uses that global amp.

It's just like using a multichannel amp: it doesn't matter what effects you've switched on or off; if you're using channel 1 on your amp, you get channel 1's sound, and you can tweak that sound no matter how you're using it.

I think what I will do is to set up 10 presets and call the GlobalAmp1 - 10. These will be my global amp presets and will only contain an amp block set to a global value.
I'm not sure I see what advantage there would be in doing it that way.

I understand that this how its intended to work but what if you already have a amp set up the way you want it and now decide you want to use the global amp feature on a already set up amp. I must of turned the global amp on in one of my other patches and now its switching to them values. Is there a way i can disable the global amp and make the new settings for my current amp the base values for my a new global amp with out having to hunt down and turn off all the other global settings on the other amps.

Last edited:
...what if you already have a amp set up the way you want it and now decide you want to use the global amp feature on a already set up amp.
Then you're in for a couple of minutes of manual work. From Yek's How-To's: "Note that you can’t configure an amp in a preset and then save it as a Global amp; you must always select a global slot first!"

To use an existing amp setup as a global amp:
  1. Get a pen and paper, and write down the settings for the amp you want to use. Unless you've made changes in the advanced pages, this won't take long. If you have made advanced changes, it'll take a little longer, but it won't be too bad).
  2. Select the global amp number that you want to use.
  3. Edit the amp with the values you wrote down.
I must of turned the global amp on in one of my other patches and now its switching to them values. Is there a way i can disable the global amp and make the new settings for my current amp the base values for my a new global amp with out having to hunt down and turn off all the other global settings on the other amps.
I'm not sure I completely understand your question. To disable a global amp, just turn the GLOBL parameter all the way to the left. If you want to use existing non-global amp parameters in a global amp, use the manual procedure above.

Good topic. It makes a lot of sense to be able to have global amps (or any other effect block) but I would think having a global cab to go with that global amp (ie, a combo) would sweeten that feature. Is that possible?

The global amps feature is amps-only, not cabs. That's not such a bad deal, as it turns out, because there's not much you have to tweak in a cab simulation, as opposed to almost three dozen parameters in the amp sims. Think of the global feature as a 10-channel amp head that lets you use whatever cab you want without hauling speakers around.

LoL my back feels better already! Just thought it might be a handy workflow feature to have. Thanks!

Try to start taking her out on dates without the kids once a week and just talk to her about things, not work or kids, is there anything she likes to do that she hasn't done for a while? Does she like spas? Manicures.Just thought it might be a handy workflow feature to have. Thanks..

Back
Top Bottom