Glenn Fricker's Opinion.

I'm not impressed with a 60 year old that has the mindset and feels the need to speak like a 14 year old. The crowd was smart enough not to care what the band played through but it really bothered him to this point? sheesh

Glenn's mentioned that he's getting vastly more studio business after opening the YT channel, more than he can actually accept. So regardless of whether you agree with him or whether his opinions make sense, he's not just a sad somebody wasting his time making videos instead of doing work. This stuff is paying dividends for him.

That said, the core message of this video is that you need to focus on your performance and your audience, not how fancy your gear is. That is something worthwhile to remember. No point getting all riled up over the snide asides.

Last edited:
I've actually been watching his Vids for a while now and I gotta say, at first I was a little skeptical about his agenda, however I can clearly see he is a pretty good dude that offers his opinions in a no BS rant that for the most part is actually pretty entertaining.

I personally like Glenn, he seems like a decent guy I overall. I've learned some things on his channel about recording. I've had some interactions with him on Facebook and he's actually been nice. I actually look forward to his videos haha

All I know is the man loves his Dumbles...Clones...
He's got a great guitar technique as well.

Nope....not "clones", because I also modify approved Dumble Clones to my specs. There are certain points most cloners will never get, if they aren't fully understand the circuit and parts, they will never be able to work out all it's details the way they want them to sound.
I offer individual modifications, that means you bring your amp, your guitar and name your wish - I do exactly what you expected to get form your amp. Any amps, any brands, any concepts.
For the rest, read my signature......I'm not a hobbist.....

@ Kent: Nope again, I'm from the german part. And this has absolutely nothing to do with languages - it's a pretty stupid thread about some who share his opinion and a bunch of people who believe the axefx is religious, Glenn a atheist wanker and Cliff = Gsus-Superstar. Get a life....seriously! ;)

I like this guy. I have been watching his channel since he had like 30k subscribers. As a YouTuber myself (not music related) I can appreciate the quality of his content. You guys are looking at it with too much judgement. YouTube is not always about cold hard facts, it's about entertainment. I like the jokes this guy has, how he has a no BS attitude etc. I agree with pretty much everything he says. He doesn't sugar coat things.

To those of you saying he's making videos just for clicks... what the hell do you think every YouTuber does? GOOD! It's called making money, so you can survive, eat food, pay bills etc. This guy may not have as many subscribers as I do, but he gets more views. Knowing what I make a month from YouTube which is a pretty good amount of money each month, Glen is doing very well for himself these days. You're complaining that he's making videos just for views? Good. He should. Also, remember that he's not making these videos for YOU, he's making them for his subscribers because they like them. Quit being such a hateful bastard. Other people need money too.

If you don't like how his channel is growing, you can partially thank me. When I first found his channel I saw a lot of potential and I gave him a lot of advice on how to grow his channel, and ever since it has been growing a lot, going from 100k views or so a month to well over a million, and he's gaining over 10,000 subscriber each month. This man's channel WILL reach 1 million within the next few years, I guarantee it.

Oh, and here's a video of him saying he likes the Fractal Axe FX II, but thinks the price is quite high - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EtxHlJ2FPo

Two people are driving cars in different towns. One drives by a construction zone gets a headache; one drives by an outdoor symphony and does not.

Just because your audience can't articulate what a "good" tone entails (relative to what they're after. I.e., I don't expect or want to hear a metal guitarist sound like Joe Bonomassa) doesn't mean they don't recognize it consciously or otherwise.

This is ESPECIALLY important to small time local acts who do not have an army of techs and engineers to adequately shape their sound with whatever they're using to best fit varying venues.

I agree with a couple points. Musicians need to get out there with whatever they've got to work with, and you can get a good tone without breaking the bank. Where I disagree strongly, aside from the reason above, is with his demonization of the guys that want to play through something better and can afford to do so. Not everyone WANTS to sound like a 5150. Not everyone is comfortable with an off the shelf Fender/LTD/Ibanez. Just because someone takes the stage with a Suhr or a Mayones doesn't make them some ignorant over-paying asshole.

And then there's guys like me, who fully accept that most of my investment in tone will be lost on the majority of an audience, but don't care in the least because it's something I do FOR ME ALONE.

As for him making a buck by being a douche bag, whatever. Everyone's got to eat, and he sure as hell isn't the first loudmouth with a following. Personally, I hope more people follow his misguided advice. It'll just make me sound better by comparison.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Glen is Glen. He believes what he says but the way he says it on YouTube (and social media) is meant to attract attention and more clicks, views, likes (and dislikes) mean more money. He's never been any different.

How that upsets anyone means they are not looking at the bigger perspective and seeing it for what it is. Don't look at everything as a fight to be won and see people for who/why/what they are. Right or wrong is of no consequence, I don't put much stock in what others think/say/feel and I imagine he doesn't either. The difference is that he's in the business of generating traffic/views/content for monetary gain. I'm not. So his opinion is valid and fine and totally not relevant to my experience or opinion on any given topic.

Why worry about his opinion? As his shirt points out everyone has one and while he may mention the Axe in what seems a disparaging way, it's not the quality, or abilities he's talking about, he's saying playing and writing should be more important then what you're playing through and that someone who can't afford top notch gear should focus on getting the best results they can with what they do have, has that not always been the case? Can people get too crazy with changing tones, fx and stuff? Sure. Can someone also use 40 different tones effectively and tastefully? Absolutely!

When you have a piece of dream gear like the Axe, it's up to you to do what you want with it, does that make you an asshole? Why would it? I think Glenn's point,while stated in a purposely inflammatory way, is just use what you have and do your best. I think he's right that folks at local dives aren't too worried about what you're playing through, but he also says it's about songwriting, when that audience generally would rather hear covers and are more concerned about getting drunk and trying to get laid then anything the band may be doing!

Oh, btw Glenn, that Distressor wasn't real cheap was it? Seems like there's some other rather pricey gear there in the rack, though since the vids are what's brought you studio biz, maybe you should invest more in improving your video production quality. Oh, I do agree that Auto-tuned shitty vox make for a worse product, but Auto-tuned good vox also maker for a worse product - and it shouldn't be a product at all, it should be art and come from the heart! Thanks again to Cliff and company for making dreams come true and pouring your heart(s) into a product that truly is a work of art.

Now get back to enjoying your dream gear! :D

Glad to read you here Scott! Well spoken! :D

@ Dogstarr: It's not about the distressor....(which is btw. a real nice piece of gear and a pleasure to work with), he don't use it because it looks cool, he actually use it on the clips.... it's about expensive gear when you play in a local band. He started with some crappy equipment, just as myself 25yrs ago....his demos were spot on and very well produced - he knows how to use the stuff.....
He's not talking about those who use 40 different sounds tastefully.....he's talking about those who "believe" that 40 different sounds where needed to be a great guitarist on stage.....if you feel angry about it, it might be because you believe in such needs too.....
I have an axefx at home, I'm not feeling angry about Glenn and his opinion, because I'm not count myself in......do you? ;)

Yeah, we're basically on the same page PacoCasanovas, I know the Distressor's a great piece of gear and that he uses it on probably close to everything, my point was only that good gear IS worth having, I think his point was do your best with what you have - I remember this dude showing up for an audition with some little Peavy amp and a beat up Fender Lead II in my high school band, we all had big amps and sort of giggled, until he started playing!

My point was that a lot of what he said is true, but was said in a way to ruffle feathers, why let him ruffle your feathers? You already have great gear and what he's saying is more about telling those starting out to worry less about what they have and more about what they do, his style just annoys the crap out of a lot of folks, I'm personally not bothered in the least by it and the shoot-out he did is awesome (and has good drums!).

A point to be made is that it should always be more about musicianship than your gear. I think that crappy gear can certainly be a hindrance in certain situations, but so can high-end professional gear. I know plenty of musicians who are always spinning their wheels with finding the latest greatest, yet the problem is really in their fingers, not in the black boxes that they're plugging into.

That's exactly what I love about my Axe-FX. Once I learned the ins and outs of it, there really is much less distraction for me between creative spark and execution.

I personally like Glenn, he seems like a decent guy I overall. I've learned some things on his channel about recording. I've had some interactions with him on Facebook and he's actually been nice. I actually look forward to his videos haha

Me too. His videos are interesting, and so are his opinions. Some people take him too seriously....

I haven't watched the video yet, may if I have a few moments, but I've seen him multiple times. I usually watch it for a laugh as he rips on the "talent" and some of the stupid things that they do or say. Its entertaining at times; at other times its just kind of mean.

But just reading the comments here I can tell that the main jist of the video is that expensive gear that does a bazillion things isn't going to make you a better artist and it's not necessary. I think that far too many people use their gear as an excuse.

As for the "attack" on the AxeFXII for being this high priced, snobby, type of exclusive product, well people need to calm down and look at the actual figures. Take a look at a decent pedalboard, amp, cab, microphones, recording interface and price all of that out. That's basically what you are going to need to record. Then you'll need a space to do all of that in. You may need to pay a professional to help you set up to get a good recordable tone. Now if you have a decent multichannel amp or a flexible pedal board you can get most of the sounds you'll need, but we all know that if you want to get a clean, Fender-esque tone for one track and a hot rodded Marshall Plexi style tone for another you aren't going to get that out of the same amp. So now you're looking at multiple amps potentially and at that point you've blown way past the cost of the AxeFXII.

But the single biggest point that everyone looking in from the outside misses with any unit that does multiple things is that the point isn't about being to do a bazillion different things. It's about having the ability to attain the handful of critical tones a player wants or needs. I could not care less if the AxeFXII had 10,000 amps if I couldn't get one preset that sounded amazing. Even going back to the days when I had the Ultra I would have about 10 presets that I spent time dialing in to perfection and I only really used 5 of them. The value is that one box can fit the needs of a metal head, an old classic rocker, a country player, jazz player, etc.

It's not about one guy making a million different sounds, but about a million different people being able to find their one sound from the same device.

I will add one other thing here. My tastes have changed over the years as does most people. It's been really nice to wake up one day and say "you know, I'd like to play something kind of clean" and then set out making a preset rather than having to go out and buy a new amp or whole rig. I never would have imagined that I'd like Fender amps even 5 years ago, but it happened. Cost me nothing to make that shift. It also costs me nothing to go back to those overdriven Vox sounds that I love....hell I just push a button and I'm right back.

Convenience, value, etc., are there in spades with the AxeFXII, but most importantly is the ability to dial in my tone, not a million different tones.

Don't mind Glenn; he's just following somewhat in the footsteps of Howard Stern to dish up audio gear shock-jockery. The purpose is to get people talking/debating/etc., ratchet up views on the videos, build his brand, etc. He's actually got some good knowledge behind the rants -- just don't take the bait and join the fray.

The point cited above about 40 amp models is ultimately not anti-Axe-Fx but anti-too-many-tones. In fact, to be honest, if I were a sound guy and someone presented me with 40 different amps for one show, I'd be equally displeased.

+1

Plenty of people (hi!) use just one or two Axe models during a live show. I see this less as a critique of modelers and more as a critique of people use misuse their powers.

It's not about one guy making a million different sounds, but about a million different people being able to find their one sound from the same device.

I think that phrase just about summarises the whole Axe FX rationale and the fact that it does that job really successfully... :)

Who cares if anyone in your audience cares about your tone? The work I put into my tone isn't for the everyone in the audience anyway. It's mostly for me, it makes me feel more confident as a guitar player when it sounds good, which makes me play better, so the audience gets a quality performance out of me. But it's also for that one guitar player that might have showed up like me who might actually care. I know how I feel as an audience member at my friends shows, especially when their tone is rocking, and I want my friends feel that too when they come to my shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I use a few different amps, maybe 6 to 8 (I've been changing some things since quantum, so I'd have to look) across 12 originals. But I have an eclectic writing style, and it suits that really well, and I've never met a sound guy who disagreed. Plus, before modelers, I used MIDI tube preamps that had the ability to throw a lot of different tones out, so it's just the way I've always rolled.

I'd go as far as to say, this guy is a bit behind on the times. Even Jimmy Page used to rock a few tube amps live back in the early days of Zeppelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom