Glenn Fricker's Opinion.

LOL, as much of a doucher as this guy is, I actually agree with most of what he's saying.

I've made the same observations myself. 99% of your audience has NO CLUE whether you have good guitar tone or not. Doesn't matter. The reason I buy quality equipment is because it matters to ME. If I'm happy and confident with my tone, I'm going to play better. That simple. I just read an interview with Robben Ford, where he said exactly the same thing.

Last edited:
You gotta love how YouTube is making people do ever-stupider shit to get views. It's like an arms race for complete morons.

Mark my words, someday one of these idiots will be so desperate for views they'll buy an Axe-Fx and blow it up by pissing all over the power supply and board.
That I wanna see, just to see him jump when the current reaches his scrotum through the stream...

I agree with M@ his whole schtick is to piss you off. So if you are offended... he got ya :)

On the other hand, he's right that you don't have to wait till you can afford gear to make music and get started. Beg, borrow, steal get a shitty guitar and funky amp that no one wanted and play some shows!

99% of your audience has NO CLUE whether you have good guitar tone or not. Doesn't matter.
I find the opposite is true. The more I nail a tone on a song the audience loves, the more they get into it.

If a player fails to deliver a tone and emotional expression that speaks to the audience, then yes -- 99% of the time listeners would act like they don't have a clue, but that's because they don't care about what they're hearing.

It's our job to make them care.

There's simply no way around it that this guy is fishing for clicks and views.
My immediate thought too ..... no point in getting riled ... However to add a little perspective, youtube vids about farts get more clicks/likes/subscriptions.

"Wow you can also run a gig with one amp sim with the Kemper, it's a shame you can not do that with the Axe-Fx." Yyyyyyyeah.
I haven't actually watched the vid yet ... but that line sure is the hook to look for the average FAS user innit?

As a metalhead I like the fact he is an ugly disrespectful oldschool troll.
I like the fact he knows some stuff, and how he shakes people with blunt comments or critics.
I may only keep 5% of useful infos, but I'm entertained.
I regret the fact he praises bias and disrespects modelers...I prefered when he was just the guy to remind us that amps still exists ^^

I generally don't like this dude's over the top self-important delivery but pretty much agree 100% with his opinion on this issue and think it is fantastic advice. In fact I think the biggest inaccuracy in it is that this somehow applies only to "local" bands. Most megastar status bands fans are just as uninterested in gear and most super players can even make poor stuff sound good and have excellent producers and sound people. For the most part, gear is for US, the players. Find something you can both afford and enjoy playing, take care of the stuff that is important to the audience: performance, accuracy, tuning, etc, and you are golden. I don't think this is an offense to anyone just advice and encouragement for those who want to make music but who can't afford top shelf equipment.

Back
Top Bottom