Glenn Fricker's Opinion.

shadoe

Experienced
Now, before I start this, the last thing I want to do is start a pissing war. I am a fan of Glenn Fricker and watch his channel, religiously.
However, He's had some interesting things to say about the Axe FX II. He's even gone as far as to make a shirt about modelers. It doesn't say anything about the Axe Fx on the shirt. However, Its pretty easy to see that the Axe is what the shirt is hinting at.
The shirt says, "40 different AMP simulations during your show does not make you a "GREAT GUITAR PLAYER". It makes you an ASSHOLE."
I'll state this; I bought the Axe because its way easier in every way live. I might use 2 different amp and cab sims, live. But it sounds authentic, the updates keep getting better and better and it has everything I need.

What are your thoughts? If someone came up to you and presented this argument, how would you retort?

I wouldn't retort at all. I'd just nod politely and think to myself how sad I feel that someone actually has to take the time to make a video and t-shirt about the topic rather than do something constructive or enjoyable with their time.

Life is too fucking short. Enjoy what you have and don't give a crap what others think about what you dig!

It's plain to see that he misses the point of the Axe-Fx and similar modelers while playing live... The control options, and the output options, and the consistency of the sound. It makes me sad to see someone put so much time and effort into telling someone else what to do or use on a completely subjective topic.

Nothing new to see and hear here. Same old, same old.
It's the songs, then the performance, as first and 2nd. The rest matters less and less as long as the first two are met. We all know this. Having the proper tools to do a job is also important but far less so than the aforementioned two cirterium.

Agreed. Its not that you need 40+ amp sims. Its that if you by chance do need any of them, you can call them up, very simply.

That dude seriously needs to re-think his life choices, a 'YOU TUBE star' he's not, nor will he ever be. Besides that who gives a flying F&%# what he thinks about anything.

That dude seriously needs to re-think his life choices, a 'YOU TUBE star' he's not, nor will he ever be. Besides that who gives a flying F&%# what he thinks about anything.

He's probably making more on clicks than he ever did "working".

Haven't we covered this a hundred times already? Where the hell is Cliff hiding that search feature?

the point is valid, 99% of the people at a gig don't care. 99% of the time the sound guy is going to wreck your "tone" anyway.

saw a friends band play the other night, had a single recto and 4x12, no pedals nothing, 300-400 people there, was packed. last song of the set he changed to a $50 guitar and played the whole song and then smashed it to bits... nobody complained about the pickups in that shitty guitar. One of my guitars cost more than his whole rig.

I must admit that I came in here to say "Not this guy again. Can we please delete this thread?". He makes one valid point and I do like the fact that he's supporting the guys who can not afford expensive gear. In the end making it in the music industry is all about the music and the performance. I've helped two bands this year didn't have the gear so I produced their albums and after that they got signed. So having the better gear doesn't hurt.

There's simply no way around it that this guy is fishing for clicks and views. That Kemper part was put in there specifically to try and get this forum to get angry at him so he gets more attention = more clicks = more money. You have to realize that it's his job at the moment. Both the Axe-Fx and Kemper are off topic. There are way more expensive pieces of professional gear out there.

"Wow you can also run a gig with one amp sim with the Kemper, it's a shame you can not do that with the Axe-Fx." Yyyyyyyeah.

Ahh - good. I suck at guitar and I don't gig. So I can keep my Axe Fx! Yay! Thanks a lot Glenn Fricker. You made my day.

I'm sorry I only wear gear-related t-shirts and not any with lame messages. Else I would have bought a shitload of yours.

Don't mind Glenn; he's just following somewhat in the footsteps of Howard Stern to dish up audio gear shock-jockery. The purpose is to get people talking/debating/etc., ratchet up views on the videos, build his brand, etc. He's actually got some good knowledge behind the rants -- just don't take the bait and join the fray.

The point cited above about 40 amp models is ultimately not anti-Axe-Fx but anti-too-many-tones. In fact, to be honest, if I were a sound guy and someone presented me with 40 different amps for one show, I'd be equally displeased.

Last edited:
Has he produced any band or music of note? I'm genuinely curious, but not curious enough to visit his webpage.

I must admit that I came in here to say "Not this guy again. Can we please delete this thread?". He makes one valid point and I do like the fact that he's supporting the guys who can not afford expensive gear. In the end making it in the music industry is all about the music and the performance. I've helped two bands this year didn't have the gear so I produced their albums and after that they got signed. So having the better gear doesn't hurt.

There's simply no way around it that this guy is fishing for clicks and views. That Kemper part was put in there specifically to try and get this forum to get angry at him so he gets more attention = more clicks = more money. You have to realize that it's his job at the moment. Both the Axe-Fx and Kemper are off topic. There are way more expensive pieces of professional gear out there.

"Wow you can also run a gig with one amp sim with the Kemper, it's a shame you can not do that with the Axe-Fx." Yyyyyyyeah.
Yyyyyyeah right. Indeed. I can't do with one, I mostly use two. BE and HBE. But if I need to I could make do with just the BE. And drive pedals. And a delay.

Don't really see his point. There's people gigging with two amps and 5 drive/boost pedals. That makes for at least as many tones as I use. I have some special purpose tones that use different amps, but I make sure they don't sound totally off compared to the others. No soundman is going to bitch about that.

I didn't watch this video, but I've seen 1 1/2 of his about stupid texts by musicians. Although the texts weren't very smart, his delivery was not funny.

Last edited:
dude is a moron, every one of his videos are idiotic.

and I play 70 songs with 2 amps...Matchless DC30 and Friedman Smallbox. Period. Statements like that show how little he truly knows about the stuff he's talking about.

You gotta love how YouTube is making people do ever-stupider shit to get views. It's like an arms race for complete morons.

Mark my words, someday one of these idiots will be so desperate for views they'll buy an Axe-Fx and blow it up by pissing all over the power supply and board.

Back
Top Bottom