Glenn Fricker reviews the Axe-fx II

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he did everything exactly the same with his videos, but totally got super brown nosed on the Axe, you guys would be all heralding his endorsement like it was the second coming of sliced bread.

There's a large segment of this forum that seems to have an issue with anything that's not an absolute complete endorsement of everything Fractal. And I'm going to leave my contributions to this thread at that.

So ... if I played one evening in a Dream Theater cover band and the other evening in a Taylor Swift pop/mainstream band, I'd better buy like 4 tube amps, 5 cabinets and 6 effect pedals? How is that cheaper than the Axe-Fx? And where would I store all that stuff?

not a single word can be supported by facts! (except maybe the pedalboard price!)
1500/2000$ for each amp head ... about 1000/2000$ for a good fx pedalboard... about 500/800$ for a single cab... plus mics... mic preamps... outboard (eq... compressors etc) ... say 3000/4000$ ... and you get what?... just 1 family of tones!
With the Axe you get tons of amps... cabs... mics... efxs... all in 1 box!
No way dude! :victorious:

1500/2000$ for each amp head ... about 1000/2000$ for a good fx pedalboard... about 500/800$ for a single cab... plus mics... mic preamps... outboard (eq... compressors etc) ... say 3000/4000$

he was talking about using the axefx live over a club PA system with a local sound guy .... watch the video carefully, then it start to make sense - on his point of view.......okey, never mind...

he was talking about using the axefx live over a club PA system with a local sound guy .... watch the video carefully, then it start to make sense - on his point of view.......okey, never mind...
It still does make very limited sense to me, though. I've never played a venue where the sound guy let me turn my tube amp high enough to overpower his mixing (dis)abilities. The cab was always mic'ed and I was always told not to use too high volumes so he/she could have control of the mix. So in my case, Glenn's argument does not apply.

It still does make very limited sense to me, though. I've never played a venue where the sound guy let me turn my tube amp high enough to overpower his mixing (dis)abilities. The cab was always mic'ed and I was always told not to use too high volumes so he/she could have control of the mix. So in my case, Glenn's argument does not apply.

That's exactly, what I mean. The soundguys I had to to with in the last years were even happier with my Axe-Standard (and later) AxeII Signal, than fighting some stupid "100 Watt Tube-Monster-powered Manowar-Volume-Lover"....if they have more control over the volume of the monitorsound, they are more motivated and get better results in the end. And this is my personal experience, not what "I think, that could be"...

could you explain the difference?......The higher the overall volume, the less important it is to have a good sound/engineer/monitoring/????? I'm sure, that a full stack sounds waaay better than the speaker of an ipad ;-)
btw. I don't play top40, easy listening oder church music, so maybe I can learn something from you, when it comes to Metal.....

Reminds me on my first rehearsal basement and not even one of the first gigs I played 20 years ago.... (regarding the equipment - but with the lazy soundguys you are spot on in many cases....)

if they have more control over the volume of the monitorsound, they are more motivated and get better results in the end. And this is my personal experience, not what "I think, that could be"...

I'm not playing metal - but I had some experience in the past when showing up with my axe on a local gig. They said "this wont work" before even listen to it. Remeber, I got my AxeFx in 2008 - nobody in my country was familiar with it in the first two years until they realized, that there were some big players who use the unit in their rig.
So for the tube guys I was just a stupid digital fuck.....yepp!

I don't care what others said but to proof them right, they gave me stupid mixes and blame it on the unit.....
Remeber, for sound guys, even for bad ones, guitarists were always stupid animals.....mostly too loud, to complicated when it comes to sound, think they can run stereo FX on stage as they do at home etc....

Anyway: I'm not playing live anymore since 2010 (cause of various reasons)...

PacoCasanovas said:
I don't care what others said but to proof them right, they gave me stupid mixes and blame it on the unit.....
Remeber, for sound guys, even for bad ones, guitarists were always stupid animals.....mostly too loud, to complicated when it comes to sound, think they can run stereo FX on stage as they do at home etc....
You basically just told that sound guys could be as narrow minded as guitarists. True story, though.

I think, the acceptance of digital Modelling Gear has increased Pretty much in the Last years...especially in the Metal and Hard rock scene, but this maybe doesn't count for all styles of music....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom