Glenn DeLaune **UPDATE** Custom Patches for AX8 & AXE FX

@Glenn DeLaune - Two quick questions on these great sounding patches:
Do you think there are any issues collapsing these to mono from stereo? My setup is all mono...
How many expression pedals are these set up with? I know I can change it, but it's good to know how many I'm looking for.
Thanks for your work on these-

@Glenn DeLaune - Two quick questions on these great sounding patches:
Do you think there are any issues collapsing these to mono from stereo? My setup is all mono...
How many expression pedals are these set up with? I know I can change it, but it's good to know how many I'm looking for.
Thanks for your work on these-

Thank you very much Sir. They should translate well to MONO. They sound fine through the FX send of my Marshall's. There may be 1 or two of them that use a Ping Pong delay so you might lose something there but I was told the translate well to all of the FRFR's which are mono. These are set up for two expression pedals. EXP 1 is Always Wah, EXP 2 is Always Volume. Thank you again Sir.

Hi Glenn, have you had a chance to hear the new FW 8.02 BETA? I hear that they corrected and added some high end that was supposed to be there originally. Not sure how much your patches for FW 8.00 BETA will sound. Cheers.

No I have not updated to 8.02 yet. I'm glad you asked me this though. It's funny. I get so many emails that ask me "Glenn your patches sound good but there is too much high end" Guys, all I have to say is . . . Tube Amps have high end. I call it High End Tube Sizzle.
Listen to this. These are isolated guitar stems from my huge collection that I have.
First up: Eddie Van Halen, then Keith Nelson & Stevie D from Buck Cherry, then Joe Perry (Aerosmith), then K.K. Downing & Glenn Tipton (J.P), and finally, Slash.
My point is this: if you would hear these guitar tones by themselves and din't know where they were from would you think they were good?? Don't get rid of the high end guys!! That's where most of the tube goodness is!!

Hey Glenn If you use the right guitar you may have accidentally created the perfect patch for the Marillion tune Kayleigh with scene 1 of the Dirty Shirley patch. Pretty cool.

The pre sets sound nothing like his demo. Most pre sets can sound good playing in a mix but A/B'd with truly amazing preset with no backing track not so much as is the case here. Def not too much on the highs, more mud and no definition actually.

The backing tracks were the only thing to stay on my computer from this pack. By the way I am using Xitone and Atomic neo and a Friedman asm the top 3 FRFR's on the market.

So far Freman's are the only ones worth the coin of all being sold currently. @bishop5150 and myself have shared pre sets on the forum for free that are a billion x better in my opinion.

@SilentUnderground also has some great stuff the is very useable even if your just grabbing his eq's and putting them in your presets as I have found great success with!

Not trying to bash, just coming from the perspective of another let down of thinking I would find something better based on the hyped up demo vids

Last edited:
No I have not updated to 8.02 yet. I'm glad you asked me this though. It's funny. I get so many emails that ask me "Glenn your patches sound good but there is too much high end" Guys, all I have to say is . . . Tube Amps have high end. I call it High End Tube Sizzle.
Listen to this. These are isolated guitar stems from my huge collection that I have.
First up: Eddie Van Halen, then Keith Nelson & Stevie D from Buck Cherry, then Joe Perry (Aerosmith), then K.K. Downing & Glenn Tipton (J.P), and finally, Slash.
My point is this: if you would hear these guitar tones by themselves and din't know where they were from would you think they were good?? Don't get rid of the high end guys!! That's where most of the tube goodness is!!

Thank you! I want to kick people in the nads when all they can talk about is Fizz. I guess you and I come from the old school analog era. I did my studio trading time at Omega studios in Maryland in the early/mid 80s and digital was just becoming a thing. We still trained on tape and they had just added a course for mastering to CD. Tube amps have sizzle as you describe. It is part of the character and what without it it would not sound right in the mix. It is also part of the reason I do not like a lot of the tones from the scene I am part of. Modern Praise and Worship. Church sound guts want a sterile and flat sound. Zero noise. No single coil hum. A boring and flat canvas. But I digress. Thanks for great patches as always and for keeping it real.

The pre sets sound nothing like his demo. Most pre sets can sound good playing in a mix but A/B'd with truly amazing preset with no backing track not so much as is the case here. Def not too much on the highs, more mud and no definition actually.

The backing tracks were the only thing to stay on my computer from this pack. By the way I am using Xitone and Atomic neo and a Friedman asm the top 3 FRFR's on the market.

So far Freman's are the only ones worth the coin of all being sold currently. @bishop5150 and myself have shared pre sets on the forum for free that are a billion x better in my opinion.

@SilentUnderground also has some great stuff the is very useable even if your just grabbing his eq's and putting them in your presets as I have found great success with!

Not trying to bash, just coming from the perspective of another let down of thinking I would find something better based on the hyped up demo vids

Not trying to bash? Sounds like a pretty heavy bash to me. Fremen patches are great. I have them as well. I have yet to grab one off of exchange that I like. All of that said I love Glenn's as well. To randomly say they do Not sound like the videos is really not fair. As the Fremen creator himself states on his site and in video a, if you use a different guitar and amp or monitor they may sound different for you. I have yet to find ANY preset that sounds identical to demos on anything, AX, Helix or Kemper. Some get close others do not. If Fremens sound so much better to you chances are your rig is closer to his. Using the so called Top Equipment on the market means nothing unless they are made on the exact equipment in the exact environment. I made a similar comment to what you just did about Fremens patches early on. I was wrong though. I later came to live his stuff. I buy to support the people in the community. I never use their exact patches live. I modify or just use then as templates. Sort of a cheat sheet if you will. And when board I may play one to jam,along to a record. I totally understand not every one will like Fremens patches or others but I learned my lesson about NOT bashing publicly

The pre sets sound nothing like his demo. Most pre sets can sound good playing in a mix but A/B'd with truly amazing preset with no backing track not so much as is the case here. Def not too much on the highs, more mud and no definition actually....... and myself have shared pre sets on the forum for free that are a billion x better in my opinion.

that's just straight up trolling out of jealousy my friend. you shared presets and didn't get the kind of praise that you wanted. move on and stop bashing guys that are trying to offer up some presets that will help most people use their equipment easily. so what if some of us charge for it? Glenn has been a working musician since way back in the day and he deserves something for his time.

I think if you use patches prepared by someone else, you have to expect that there could be major tweaking once you fire up your own rig. I can't speak to Glenn's for sale patches, but I did download the free ones he shared and it was immediately clear to me that he was way more knowledgeable on shaping tone than I am. I learned a lot just analyzing his methods on his Andy Timmons patch. I guess I'd be frustrated too if I bought patches expecting to use them as my own "out of the box" and thought they were terrible, but maybe the better way to handle this stuff is to reach out to the guys making the patches privately. Moke, Freeman, Singtall, Marco and Glenn all seem like pretty cool, reasonable folks who would work with you to try figure out the issue.

The pre sets sound nothing like his demo. (...)

My experience is that the system the Axe is amplified through, the type of pickups and string gauges on the guitars, pick thickness, and the player's touch all weigh heavily into whether someone else's patch will work for you. You've been around this forum for a long time, and I'm sure you've helped me out either directly or indirectly at some point. Respect for that....but I think your post is a bit unfair.

Back
Top Bottom