Glen Kuykendall "The Clipper" + Relic Strat & Trainwreck Amp

I ordered his CD directly from Glen earlier this year for exactly the same reasons you just stated. The dude is awesome and loves his Trainwreck!

It does sound great, great player, great amp... but I'm pretty sure there's a bass in there... or at least some other tracks made to sound like a bass.

Actually I thought I head another guitar(most likely him ) on certain parts. Notice no pedals, he did all that with the volume control, I mean clean to OD, etc. Anyway, main point I find the guy, well, different in a positive way. There also a vid of blues tune-need me bad I think. Very nice. I'm just an old rocker-tired a while ago with the blistering speed stuff. Not trying to start a debate here. All that stuff sounds the same to me.

I bought his CD a while ago and he plays bass himself on the record, so I guess on the YT clip there is Glen playing bass (and 2nd guitar) on the backing track.

Glen is a tone monster and his Trainwreck demos on the web are the ultimate Trainwreck sound samples. I know him from the Les Paul Forum but I think he/the Trainwreck sounds better with the Strat than with the Les Paul.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL75YzhAcJ4&feature=related

Last edited:
Absolutely.... I wasn't trying the knock the guy or anything, just making a comment about what I heard in the clip... but all that aside, I enjoyed the playing very much, never heard of him so I'll have to check him out... but in regards to the trainwreck, there's been several times I've tried to figure out how I could save up enough money for one of those (not an original, but the authorized reissue)...anyways, I decided to try out the AXE instead.... but I agree about the wreck with a strat, it allows more of the strat character to come through.... great amp.

Absolutely.... I wasn't trying the knock the guy or anything, just making a comment about what I heard in the clip... but all that aside, I enjoyed the playing very much, never heard of him so I'll have to check him out... but in regards to the trainwreck, there's been several times I've tried to figure out how I could save up enough money for one of those (not an original, but the authorized reissue)...anyways, I decided to try out the AXE instead.... but I agree about the wreck with a strat, it allows more of the strat character to come through.... great amp.

Hi Nater-didn't mean to imply that-if I did, sorry

No worries.... hey how do you like those Fralin Vintage Hots? I've been researching some other p/u's for my CS '60 strat... only I put an SRV neck on it with like a 12-16" radius and I'm getting some string warble on the G-string... sounds like it might be the staggered pole's. I see Fralin's got a "modern" staggering for flatter fretboards.... anyways.. way off topic, but I thought I'd ask...

I tried a few other Fralins and I just love these. I bought the whole pickguard online for $250 delivered. Great price since the pups alone are $240. plus, plus.

Hello, Glen here. Thanks for the kind comments and checking out the video. Yes that is me on bass and a 2nd backup guitar. However In the video I remixed the original multi track from my CD and muted out the original lead guitar, then I performed the lead guitar as it was filmed as you see it wearing inner ear monitors to hear the tracks. One odd thing though, I only had a single video camera, so when ever it appears to go to a different camera angle it's actually one of about 6 takes I did for different camera angles. Even though each camera angle is a different take, the audio also switches between the live takes so you are always hearing the exact take you are seeing. Anyway, it gave it a multi camera effect but it wasn't easy! In the video there is a 1x12 cab, however that is just for monitoring and I'm also playing through my old Marshall 4x12 which was in a separate room with mics on it. IMHO I played it a little better on my CD version, probably because alot of it was improvised originally however in this video I had to dedicate it all to memory which is different. Anyway thanks again folks for checking it out, and as always any gear questions are welcome... FYI my CD is currently sold out (though I may re-repress at a later date) but it's now all on Itunes including "The Clipper". Thanks! Glen Kuykendall

Last edited:
Hello Glen
Nice to hear from you. The wrecker in our beloved AxeFX II really nails the wrecker tone. IMHO it's the best amp in the AxeFXII. And me being an old Fender and Music Man guy. I bought the CD the first time I heard Clipper.
Thanks for the reat music, really nice.
Stratman68

Yup, I loved the Wrecker in my Axe FX, it was my main "not-clean" amp modell. Glen, thanks for posting!

Wondering if anyone can check the "Can You Hear It Ring?" preset in the Axe Fx II? Version 6, # 82. Sounds like it's a "wrecker" preset from what I've heard but maybe I'm being optimistic. Anyway, my CD title track and my most popular Youtube (original Trainwreck amp) clip is called "Can You Hear It Ring?" so just wondering... Glen

Yes it is. There are 2 Wrecker amps in the AXeFX II-Wrecker and FAS(Fractal version of) Wrecker. Can you hear it ring sounds nice but someone on here made a preset called Bluesy Wrecker. I use it all the time-sounds great with my USA Strats.
Really like the CD BTW

Back
Top Bottom