glassy sound

hey guys im using my axe fx 2 mainly as a replacement for a head. so i can get all tones. When i a/b it with any of my heads the axe sounds scooped and glassy almost like its inside of a glass cup.. is there something i can do to make it more natural?

Turn off Power Amp modelling in the Global menu when using it through a tube power amp. Otherwise you will get the scoop from the modeling and the scoop from the power amp so it will be "doubly scooped".

are you using a power amp and guitar cabinet with the axe? what amp models in the axe? are you using full range speakers? what kind of speakers or cabinet? is the Global GEQ flat?

can you provide us with recordings that show us that "glassy" means versus "natural"?

we can guess a ton of things and maybe some will be right, but with more details of your setup, we can provide more helpful answers.

but maybe cliff nailed it on the head? hope so.

That's mainly what I get too. Had a good loud rehearsal the other night and it was missing that 'body' (no bass - just natural balls). Have tried all sorts, but cannot get the CLR and Axe to come close to a traditional amp/cab. If I could....I'd sell my amps and cabs - no hesitation. Until then, I'll keep with it as the Axe and CLR are so versatile. FOH - can't go wrong!

That's mainly what I get too. Had a good loud rehearsal the other night and it was missing that 'body'. Have tried all sorts, but cannot get the CLR and Axe to come close to a traditional amp/cab. If I could....I'd sell me amps and cabs - no hesitation.

Apples and oranges. The Axe-Fx plus CLR is a loud version of what you would hear in the control room AND what the audience would hear from a mic'd amp. If you want traditional guitar cab tone then use a power amp and traditional cab.

This is modeling 101. You guys should know this by now.

Would never go from my Axe setup though. The advancements, portability and options are just stupidily good. Nothing to touch it.

im using axe fx 2 into a power amp into a marshall cab. Im looking to replace my heads and effects so i can have say a jcm 800 switch to a jazz120 with delay for cleans and back .. ect. I am just sick of wires and a/b boxes and noise. I turned off the power amp modeling and that helped. my power amp is solid state but i get the same sound feel and effect when i use a tube head as a power amp. i also never use cabs on what i call "live tone" i only use a preset with a cab on it to go into my recording software .

also like i said the best way i can describe it is it sounds like im playing inside of a glass cup. digital harshness. i mainly use jcm 800. i love my axe fx I just wonder if im doing something wrong.

If your power amp is solid-state you want Power Amp modeling on. I have no idea why you are getting "inside of a glass cup" sound. We don't get that here.

Apples and oranges. The Axe-Fx plus CLR is a loud version of what you would hear in the control room AND what the audience would hear from a mic'd amp. If you want traditional guitar cab tone then use a power amp and traditional cab.

This is modeling 101. You guys should know this by now.

This is the truth.

Glassy = Fender (is what's often used to describe a Fender clean sound, mostly BF and SF)

But google glassy guitar tone... You got more than one choice.

Back
Top Bottom