Giving the CLR a try

I am curious as to the differences in dispersion between the two. Any thought along those lines as you compared?
Both show directivity data in their spec sheets. CLR is 90x90 and controls it down to 700 Hz, NX 12-SMA is 60x60 and controls it down to 1 kHz.

Both show directivity data in their spec sheets. CLR is 90x90 and controls it down to 700 Hz, NX 12-SMA is 60x60 and controls it down to 1 kHz.

Yes, but I always like to hear real world experiences over a spec sheet data. Especially when it comes to monitoring solutions. I have a pair of CLR Neo's and was amazed by the dispersion.

Yes, but I always like to hear real world experiences over a spec sheet data. Especially when it comes to monitoring solutions. I have a pair of CLR Neo's and was amazed by the dispersion.
What you measure is kinda what you get with dispersion, but gotcha, it's always nice to get some first hand accounts.

I am curious as to the differences in dispersion between the two. Any thought along those lines as you compared?
The CLR has a wider dispersion. The RCF projects well, and has a narrower “cone” I’d say. Neither are impossible to get outside of, but I’d say the CLR covers more area up close. I don’t yet know how that’ll translate in cross-stage projection on a big stage, something the RCF excels at doing.

Last edited:
They're a little different.
RCF is slightly narrower.
60 degree vs. 90 degree.

I stand right in the path of my speaker, so it really doesn't matter....it's more a matter of anyone that is standing on other sides of the stage.
RCF was a little better choice when I want to be loud (and not annoy other guys in the band).
CLR (and XiTone) were a better choice if I wanted to create more stage volume.

The CLR has a wider dispersion. The RCF projects well, and as a narrower “cone” I’d say. Neither are impossible to get outside of, but I’d say the CLR covers more area up close. I don’t yet know how that’ll translate in cross-stage projection on a big stage, something the RCF excels at doing.

Exactly my experience, plus the frequencies falls off more evenly outside of the sweetspot on the CLRs compared to the RCFs, which are acturally better in this regards than most other stage monitors I've tried.

Clamshell cover from Studio Slips arrived. Looks great, fits perfectly. I'll be taking it out this weekend, so I will both let you know how the cover does and how the CLR does in the band setting.

Would love to get some feedback from you (especially about how it hangs in a band setting) as I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one! :)

Would love to get some feedback from you (especially about how it hangs in a band setting) as I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one! :)
I really like the general protection of the cover, but wish it was more like the RCF Cover I have on my NX12SMA in that you can just roll the cover back and use the speaker with the cover still on it. This has provided a lot of protection for the NX12, which looks very good after 6 years of gigging. I already have a chip of paint knocked off the CLR, and that is all of two gigs in!

I like the Studio Slips cover: it is well made, fits the speaker perfectly, and uses good materials and zippers. It's a bit of a task getting the speaker into it following use and I would like it a lot more if the speaker part just opened, and a velcro or zippered flap could just drop in the rear for connections and cooling. I suggested just that to StudioSlips. Maybe there will be a Rick signature series studio slip!

Last edited:
I wonder if it would be worth it to take a part the speaker and take to LineX and have them cover it with that stuff you can drop rocks on. or some of this duratex stuff...

https://www.parts-express.com/acry-...exture-coating-kit-with-textured-3-r--260-111
I asked about this a while ago on this forum. Mick from XiTone (he uses LineX on his cabs) kindly chimed in and gave his input:
1) Impact on the sound would be negligible.
2) Would add maybe 2-4 pounds... depends on who sprays it.
3) Hard to say...
4) You'd have to prep it to bare wood.

The challenge though is that LineX, as a coating, is several times thicker than what is on there now. This does create fitment issues and I factor all those variables into my cabs, from the design process forward. My best guess is that after LineX, the grille likely may not fit.

LineX is a great coating if it is sprayed right but even then, there are still challenges and it's likely that there'd be issues, unless you are lucky to live near someone that has sprayed a lot of cabs. I wouldn't dare take even one of my cabs to a first timer.

Duratex is an option and is doable but results may vary and it may not look much better than it does now after a period of time... plus, you'd still have to strip it down to bare wood. The good thing with Duratex though is that it is easy to patch it up if it does get dinged.

I'm not exactly sure what RCF and Dynacord use but I suspect it is a 2 part system with a catalyst of some sort.
Here's the thread if you're interested:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/line-x-on-an-atomic-clr.132614/

I spoke with Susan at Studio Slips, and they have no plans to alter their design to their current CLR offerings, but will keep the input in mind if that changes. So, no Studio Slips "live in" version forthcoming.

Let me know if anyone runs into something like the RCF case for the CLR. Here is what it looks like:
www.proaudiostar.com/rcf-cover-nx-12-sma.html

I really like being able to just open the top and go, along with the constant protection of never taking the speaker from its cover.

Back
Top Bottom