Given up trying to get USB to work

Apologies if my moaning annoys anyone but here's my story so far...

I've had the XL for nearly a fortnight and I'm still unsure as to whether to keep it or send it back because im bored of the aggravation. Jochen did say i could keep it a little longer if need be which is very nice of him, but i don't want to abuse his kind offer...the time limit is also adding to my stress because i feel under pressure to get what i want from it...which i haven't.

One of my main annoyances is the USB and latency issues..

These are not inherant to the machine to be fair, but rather the communication between it and Logic.

I've bored both myself and Apple support to tears, day in, day out, trying to resolve the latency issue when using the XL via USB....

Logic will work for a minute or 2, or 4 then shit it's pants and gives me a latency of about 2 seconds. The really helpful guy at Apple said it would be something to do with incompatible drivers etc...and that Logic doesn't like having unmatched ins/outs in it's audio preferences ie Axe Fx IN Focusrite OUT...We've tried everything, even unistalling Logic and reinstalling (about a day)...

Using the AxeFX as an audio interface sounds absolutely appalling..the info from the DAW sounds normal but the guitar turns into a fizz generator...oh then there's the humming and interference.

initially i used the AxeFX analogue outs to my soundcard but i got latency, even with a buffer of 64 and noise. Fractal advised using USB and thats when it really hit the fan. A week of messing around to no avail, chasing customer support and emails.

I haven't really dived into the machine that much, although ive been through the quick start manual and made a couple of presets. I've heard some good results from it (i dont want death metal tones though) but what's really pissed me off is that it took the best part of week to get a usable tone when using single coil pickups (the solution is editing all of the eq settings wherever possible and making sure that the i/o global is 100%)...

Questions:

Has anyone else experienced similar problems when they bought their AxeFX, or had interfacing problems?
Also, have you guys had to spend a long time within each preset to get a usable tone (ignoring the connectivity factors that colour the sound), particularly when using single coils?

My Mac is less than a year old with the latest everything btw.

I'm partly pissed off because I havent had that 'Wow!' experience, or moment of excitement and inspiration....but maybe im too long in the tooth for that...I also think that because everytime i've plugged it in, i havent been able to enjoy it because im fighting the DAW...The other issue of course is that playing through monitors is very sterile, but thats the way it is when you want to record at acceptable volumes....

Anyway, rant over..Any thoughts, experiences, advice would be appreciated..Please don't flame me, i'm not a hater but ive had 2 weeks of aggro with the DAW and 2 weeks of messing about with the AxeFx to the point of boredom.

I'll get my fire extinguisher.

Turn off SOFTWARE MODELING in Logic audio preferences, and use an amp or another means of amplifying the analog outputs of the AXE when you track guitars.

In Logic preferences, Set the INPUT to AXE and the Output to your computer.

Raise buffer to 1024, since you don't care how latent the software is during tracking because you are not monitoring your guitar through LOGIC when you track - you will be using an amp or another sound system. LOGIC will time-align what you've recorded, so when you play it back, it is not latent at all.

Just a quick thought but are you also using a focusrite for output? Maybe just plug the axe in to that....disclaimer-I'm sure there is some reason that doesn't work and I also know you are trying to have success with the axe usb.

hi,
thanks for your response (and not flaming me!;))...

Sorry, but im not sure that i fully understand....

did you mean SOFTWARE MONITORING in Logic Audio Preferences?

If i set the audio output to my computer (built in audio) it obviously only comes from the iMac internal speakers..which sounds crap of course.

So if i understand you correctly are you suggesting that i use USB to connect the AxeFX to the Mac, run AxeFx analogue outputs to an external mixer>amp>monitors, and monitor through the internal speaker of the iMac? Audio Preferences would then be set to INPUT-AXE, OUTPUT-Internal Audio (iMac speakers)?

Not a Mac user, but sounds like you have some kind of live track monitoring going on in your DAW. This can create a dreadful chorusing effect as you hear both the monitored track and the output from the Axe-Fx at the same time.

As far as the connectivity problems go, it seems like any time I see people having USB issues with the Axe-Fx, it's on a Mac. Some work great. Others don't. It's been brought up before, and the consensus has always been that the issue is on Apple's end.

yeah, when i use USB there is an intermittent fault as i mentioned which will just appear...then, you play the guitar, there is a pause from between 1 and 2 seconds before any audio is heard (the leds in the channel strip also illuminate). Going via a soundcard works but as i said, i'm getting latency, rather than the chorusing effect you mentioned...i think the chorusing affect is usually from having the software monitoring switched on and double tracking the guitar input.

oh sorry, forgot to mention im on Logic Pro 9. I don't think there is a provision to set the Axe as a 'master', but ive already selected the audio track for 48k. I can't hear any audible differences, but i've left it at this to hopefully reduced conflicts.

hi,
thanks for your response (and not flaming me!;))...

Sorry, but im not sure that i fully understand....

did you mean SOFTWARE MONITORING in Logic Audio Preferences?

If i set the audio output to my computer (built in audio) it obviously only comes from the iMac internal speakers..which sounds crap of course.

So if i understand you correctly are you suggesting that i use USB to connect the AxeFX to the Mac, run AxeFx analogue outputs to an external mixer>amp>monitors, and monitor through the internal speaker of the iMac? Audio Preferences would then be set to INPUT-AXE, OUTPUT-Internal Audio (iMac speakers)?
Sorry. Yes I did mean software monitoring. And yes, you understood my suggestion perfectly.

I playback the song track through studio monitors and send the axe analog outputs into the stereo fx return of a combo amp with 2x12's. True, I'm using an amp and speakers to listen to an axe preset that has speaker and power amp simulation already baked in, but it allows me to record without latency, and allows me to record controlled feedback when appropriate.

I'm not sure if this will be any help, but I can feel your frustration… it would be a shame to give up on what should be a great setup because it hasn't clicked for you yet. I have some similar equipment, so let me go through what's been working for me.

I have my primary studio in one room, but since I'm really a keyboard player, the guitar and Axe are set up on a separate rig in the living room, so I've got more space to relax in. I'm a learning guitarist.

My rig is the Axe-FX II, a Focusrite Saffire Pro40 and a MacBook Pro that's at least six years old, so it's no spring chicken. I use Digital Performer as my DAW.

For general practicing, which is most of what I do, I don't have the computer turned on at all. The SPDIF out from the Axe goes into the Focusrite so I have no unnecessary D/A conversion, and I have a nice Aphex headphone amplifier fed from the Focusrite’s outputs. It sounds wonderful; no issues whatsoever.

EDIT: I don't know which Focusrite you're using, but my first advice would be to use the SPDIF input on the Focusrite if there is one, or go from the Axe’s balanced outs to the Focusrite if there isn't. Make the Focusrite talk to Logic, not the Axe. /END EDIT

I don't use the Axe’s USB for audio at all; it only gets used when I have the Mac on and I'm using AxeEdit. Again, it works perfectly.

When I record guitar tracks, I bring in a mix from my main studio and fire up Digital Performer. The DAW doesn't talk to the Axe at all; the Focusrite is the audio interface. My cheap advice would be to concentrate on getting the Focusrite to work properly with Logic using anything at all; even just a mic, to get signals flowing. Once you do that, you can connect the Axe to the Focusrite and you should be good to go.

My experience has always been that when there's a problem, just keep banging your head against the wall until you get all the kinks out of the hose, and the water starts flowing through. Don't give up; yes, we’re fanboys, but the Axe is genuinely too good to miss out on because of a readily addressable technical issue. Once you get it going, you can exhale and do what you want to be doing. Good luck! DON'T GIVE UP!

Last edited:
Get an Apogee Duet. I use an Apogee Symphony (much more expensive version) with Pro logic and experience 0.0 latency.

The axe fx 2 and your monitors will hook into the apogee (input and output would then obviously be the apogee).

I guarantee you will love it for a variety of reasons.

How are you monitoring the output from your DAW? If you are using the Axe II as a recording interface via USB, you should be monitoring directly from the Axe's output or headphone jacks. The USB driver provides 4 input channels and 2 output channels. By defualt, USB Inputs 1 and 2 are the Left and Right channels taken from the output block of the Axe grid. USB Inputs 3 and 4 are the dry left and right channels of input block of the Axe grid for reamping purposes (dry guitar signal). USB Outputs 1 and 2 are the Left and Right channels that are coming back from the master outputs of your DAW software (or any software that is set to use these outputs). The signals from USB outputs 1 and 2 are mixed with the processed signal after the grid output block and can be monitored via the Axe's output 1 jacks or the front panel headphone jack. The level of this mix is controlled with the front panel output 1 knob. When recording a track in your DAW, make sure you have software input monitoring turned OFF for the armed track. That way the guitar sound you are monitoring will be the one directly from the Axe's hardware and will have practically no latency just like playing directly into a power amp and cab or powered monitors. This allows you to record completely independently of any USB latency that exists. The downside to this method is the fact that you cannot monitor real time effects added to the armed track in your DAW software. Monitoring real time effects added to USB inputs requires software input monitoring to be on and that will result in latency. How much latency depends on the driver settings, and your DAW's hardware and software performance. The delayed feed from the DAW will also get mixed back with the hardware feed from the Axe and you'll usually get phasing or echos when monitoring. One way to get around this phasing or echo is to change the USB source option in the I/O menu to Output 2 and then use an FX Loop block to send the grid signal to the DAW. Then if you turn the grid output levels all the way down, you will only hear the feed that is coming back from your DAW and not the direct hardware feed.

I run mine like me fender above with no issue. What is the advantage of using the Focusrite as an interface rather than the Axe?

I have monitoring disabled on my old 2009 imac, and use the axe as sole interface, over USB. Powered monitors and headphones connected to the axe for monitoring. I listen to the live guitar as I play and the backing tracks from the mac all via the axe with no noise or latency.

I'm no pro, but I'm not clear what I'm missing by using the axe. Cliff designed it as a high end audio interface, right?

All it's missing is an amp for unpowered monitors but that's a cheaper solution than a second audio interface and sounds simpler to set up?

I know this isn't a solution to the Focusrite issues you are having, and I'm sure in time you'll figure out the advice other Focusrite users have offered to get it working.

However a short term solution to determine if the axe is at least a good solution for you in terms of recorded tone... Take the Focusrite out of the loop altogether. Put it back later. Use the Axe as an audio interface. Turn off software monitoring in Logic, plug a set of headphones into the axe, do all your monitoring there. Record a few tracks with zero latency. Review the recordings. Mess with the tone. If you like the Axe after hearing the results, then go back to faffing with the Focusrite. It sounds like the digital out might do the trick.

Using a separate interface would give you the ability to record more tracks at once and also possibly dedicated mic preamps with phantom power support. If you're recording multiple instruments at the same time, then obviously the Axe isn't going to cover that with only 2 input channels (it's actually 4 but 2 of those are an unprocessed copy of the same source). If you're recording just one instrument at a time, like me, a small mic preamp, mixer, or DI box would allow you to record with mics and phantom power support would allow for condenser mics for things like vocals and acoustic instruments and would not require any drivers or additional A/D or D/A conversions (no additional latency). I've got an M-Audio Fast Track Pro that I use for mics, but I had that before I bought the Axe. I use the Axe for everything else. YMMV. Any recording interface is going to add latency if you are monitoring via the software outs. The only way to get true zero latency monitoring is to directly monitor the incoming signals via hardware before they are processed.

I had the same problem with my previous powermac 2010.
After 2 min the latency would jump.
Increased buffer size in logic fixed that.
My problem is that both the 2010 and my new 2014 powermacs don't see axe fx usb.
Only a 2007 powermacs does. I have to put the axe usb into the old powermacs for 10 sec and than I the newer one
To be seen.
Keep everything 48khz

I am on a Mac and I have ZERO issues like this, because I am monitoring the Axe directly (either using the Axe's headphone outputs or through a mixer). I hope you get this worked out, because the Axe is truly a wonderful piece of kit.

My take is this (and please don't take it the wrong way). The problem is with the way you are monitoring the signals you are recording, and you are likely to have latency problems with whatever audio you are recording until you can monitor the signal you are feeding IN to logic rather than (just) the signal logic spits out. Does the Focusrite have capacity for direct hardware input monitoring? I would be a little surprised if it didn't.

hi Guys,
Thanks for all of your considered responses. I haven't really played about with the axe for the last couple of days, in fact it hasn't been on as i've lost interest. Today i had to reinstall OS X, but that's another story!

Apple support are supposed to be getting back to me tomorrow. At the moment i've hooked the thing up from it's analogue outs, into the soundcard, then logic and i don't have serious latency issues..I don't think you're ever going to get the immediacy of plugging into an amp but i can live with it...i haven't recorded anything with it, but when i have messed around with it, i've been getting used to the interface and tweaking presets (which i find very laborious....i guess it's knowing the characters of the amp/cab sims)..I was up until 4am messing around, but still didn't really get the tone i was looking for...probably an experience thing.

Another option would be to use software to edit, but i'd rather sort out the basics first...then i can mod the noisy fan!

I've stopped using the USB, it just seems like too much messing around to get logic/axe to work properly.

On another note:
I think that it would be worth Fractal maybe increasing the size of the display (my Eventide DSP 7500 is literally twice the size), and also having a detent on the scoller knob to use as an 'Enter' button.
Anyway, i'll press on with it and see how i get on.

Back
Top Bottom