Gimme Shelter Rhythm and Lead

One of my favorite songs, but surprised that until today I knew how to play absolutely 0% of the song. I didn't spend a whole lot of time learning the intro solo, so please don't pay attention to my accuracy, I know it's wrong.

I believe the original amp used was a Triumph Silicone 100 which I have no idea what that's similar to. I used a Twin Reverb Vibrato as it was the first thing I picked and I thought it sounded pretty damn close. I used the bias tremolo feature which is great, but it's much more pronounced when the guitar volume is rolled down rather than at 10 (at least in this case). I used a 2x12 for the left and a 1x15 for the right as in the original the left is noticeably brighter while the right is darker and fatter. I used a drive block after the cabs to somewhat simulate an overdriven tape deck. For reverb I used the medium chamber as I believe the original was the chamber at Sunset Sound studios. Lastly a filter block to roll off the low and high end to get rid of the hifi-ness, as this is a vintage inspired preset.

The guitar used was a Navigator Les Paul Custom in open E tuning with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge, with 50s wiring (don't remember the exact details but I believe it retains the brightness as you roll down the volume). Certainly not the most ideal pickup, but I figured if I could get a good sound with a high output pickup, then a low output would be that much better.
For the rhythm (Scene 1) I had the bridge volume at 8 as it sounded better than at 10 with lower amp gain. For the lead (Scene 2) I had the bridge volume at 7, then rolled to 10 for the final note.

I have a mix bus compressor and subtle tape simulation in Pro Tools to glue it all together a bit, but they're very subtle.

Attachments

• Gimme Shelter.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 114
Back
Top Bottom