Wish Gilmour PULSE amp model

I have changed to the Hiwatt Normal. Preset attached

Here is the same recording as above, but now reamped using only the Axe-FX (Scene-1 of the attached preset) The previous one was using the real Alembic

Attachments

• Alembic Echoes 200913b.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 44
I have changed to the Hiwatt Normal. Preset attached

Here is the same recording as above, but now reamped using only the Axe-FX (Scene-1 of the attached preset) The previous one was using the real Alembic

I have two questions...
why did you choose the Tonestack "65 Bassman"? I read on the amp guide that the 65 Bassman has no tonestack, it only has two controls, volume and negative feedback ... why not put the Blackface?
The second question concerns these two types of Tonestack ..
because there are two of Blackface ...
  • Blackface
  • BF Fixed Mid
considering that the Dual Showman on the Normal channel did not have the mid range pot, could the BF Fixed Mid be right?
I know that the mid-range pot on the Alembic was a control for the mid-low frequencies

I have two questions...
why did you choose the Tonestack "65 Bassman"? I read on the amp guide that the 65 Bassman has no tonestack, it only has two controls, volume and negative feedback ... why not put the Blackface?

I chose the 65 Bassman tonestack because I thought that the model was based on the Bassman AA864 circuit, which is identical to the Alembic with the addition of the Mid Control. It seems to be based on the Bassman AB165 circuit though. But again, it is almost identical.

If we want to have exactly the same circuit as in the Alembic, we would need the Dual Showman AA769, the Twin Reverb AA769 or the Twin Reverb AB763.

I cannot find any of these at the Axe-FX tonestacks, so I chose the 65 Bassman. I do not think that it would make any difference. It is just replacing a fixed resistor for a pot to control the mids. And it is the case that at the Axe-FX that resistor is variable :)

The second question concerns these two types of Tonestack ..
because there are two of Blackface ...
  • Blackface
  • BF Fixed Mid
considering that the Dual Showman on the Normal channel did not have the mid range pot, could the BF Fixed Mid be right?
I know that the mid-range pot on the Alembic was a control for the mid-low frequencies

The Dual Showman AA 769 schematic does have a mid range pot at both the normal and the vibrato channels, and it is identical to the Twin Reverb AA769, the Twin Reverb AB763 and the Alembic.

The frequency of the Mid knob varies with the position of the Treble pot, as we can see at the Ducan Amp tonestack simulator.

Last edited:
I chose the 65 Bassman tonestack because I thought that the model was based on the Bassman AA864 circuit, which is identical to the Alembic with the addition of the Mid Control. It seems to be based on the Bassman AB165 circuit though. But again, it is almost identical.

If we want to have exactly the same circuit as in the Alembic, we would need the Dual Showman AA769, the Twin Reverb AA769 or the Twin Reverb AB763.

I cannot find any of these at the Axe-FX tonestacks, so I chose the 65 Bassman. I do not think that it would make any difference. It is just replacing a fixed resistor for a pot to control the mids. And it is the case that at the Axe-FX that resistor is variable :)

The Dual Showman AA 769 schematic does have a mid range pot at both the normal and the vibrato channels, and it is identical to the Twin Reverb AA769, the Twin Reverb AB763 and the Alembic.

The frequency of the Mid knob varies with the position of the Treble pot, as we can see at the Ducan Amp tonestack simulator.
I knew the ambic was based on the Fender Dual Showman Blackface, not the Silverface.
The Dual Showman Blackface does not have the mid pot in the normal channel.

In my preset, after making two small changes it sounds the same as the Division Bell Tour except for the clean sound body.
But I chose the "BF Fixed Mid" Tonestack, which has more mid-bass than the "Blackface". Everything sounds great ... The only difference by ear is the clean sound body. The Hiwatt does not have the Dual Showman body. It sounds great but it's not him.

In my preset, after making two small changes it sounds the same as the Division Bell Tour except for the clean sound body.
But I chose the "BF Fixed Mid" Tonestack, which has more mid-bass than the "Blackface". Everything sounds great ... The only difference by ear is the clean sound body. The Hiwatt does not have the Dual Showman body. It sounds great but it's not him.

What CAB are you using at your preset? Would you mind sharing it? Perhaps if we combine the best of both presets we could get a good result

I've moved it a step beyond! My alembic emulation was working good for clean tones but not with distortion pedals, because I could not put it in front of the pedals (I was using the AMP block tonestack).

I have solved the issue by using the second AMP block with the "Tube Pre" amp (it is a neutral amp) as an Alembic emulator, so I can place it anywhere at the signal chain.

Select "Hipower Normal" as the power amp and set the Neutral tonestack.
Select "Tube Pre" at the second AMP block and set a Fender tonestack. The 3 tone controls will behave as in the real Alembic.

Now I can place distortion pedals after the Axe-FX's Alembic (AMP-2). The Axe-FX and the real Alembic sound is practically the same, both for clean and distorted sounds.

Last edited:

Here is the different solo tones i am at currently!! Please lemme know which one you like.

Thanks

I prefer 1 and 2.
3 is too fizzy to my ears
4 and 5 are quite dark. Lacking Mids. They could get lost in a mix.
But all that would depend on the context

Thanks guys,
The #1 is my favorite too...
#2 is a variation on #1 for my other brighter strat
#4 is my sorta animals, pre wall kinda muff only solo tone, thought that is a tuber driver in this preset not a muff. WIth the Spc turned up i think this will be pretty ballistic though i dont have that in my strats!!
#3 and 5 needs a bit more Eq i think...will work on it....

I’m gonna bring this wish back again!

I’m writing a letter to Santa saying how great I behaved this year and that I’m asking “for a friend” because this gift will make a lot of friends happy.

I must add that I had exactly this rig in real life: alembic (modded with extra tube) + hiwatt modded to use only power section.

I’ve added the extra tube in alembic as a catode follower and made a connection in Hiwatt like an “effects return” where the alembic could be inserted before do PI (EDIT: inserted before Master Volume) of the Hiwatt Power Section (just as described in OP).

I’ve checked these mods with Pete Cornish at that time.

It sounds like Pulse instantaneously!

The extra tube in Alembic lower output impedance and gives back some highs and brightness. I’ve made mine switchable and found those highs were not always desirable but very usefull in some cases. Probably it was more important for gilmour as he used several Hiwatts with a single Alembic output. Anyways, it would be nice to have that as an option in the model.

I wouldn’t worry about the “different cap” modd because we could easily change input filter cut off frequency in the input section.

Maybe only @FractalAudio could tell, but If we had the ability to select the Alembic tone stack in the Hiwatt model wouldn’t be what we want? Will it use the Alembic input section aswell or really only the tone stack?

Last edited:

After all the help you have received, here and through several private messages (I've even made A/B comparisons with my Alembic clone for you), it would be very nice if you could share your preset 😎

I must add that I had exactly this rig in real life: alembic (modded with extra tube) + hiwatt modded to use only power section.

I’ve added the extra tube in alembic as a catode follower and made a connection in Hiwatt like an “effects return” where the alembic could be inserted before do PI of the Hiwatt Power Section.

I’ve checked these modds with Pete Cornish at that time.

It sounds like Pulse instantaneously!

The extra tube in Alembic lower output impedance and gives back some highs and brightness. I’ve made mine switchable and found those highs were not always desirable but very usefull in some cases. Probably it was more important for gilmour as he used several Hiwatts with a single Alembic output. Anyways, it would be nice to have that as an option in the model.

I wouldn’t worry about the “different cap” modd because we could easily change input filter cut off frequency in the input section.

Maybe only @FractalAudio could tell, but If we had the ability to select the Alembic tone stack in the Hiwatt model wouldn’t be what we want? Will it use the Alembic input section aswell or really only the tone stack?
If I'm not mistaken, the (stock) Alembic was pretty much a Fender Twin preamp with better components.
You could try that in the Axe.

If I'm not mistaken, the (stock) Alembic was pretty much a Fender Twin preamp with better components.
You could try that in the Axe.
I still have my Alembic, and tried A/Bing to match with fenders pre-amp models (bassman, twin and others) but they dont sound alike in my opinion.

I could get something more similar in shape using the tone match but harmonics still don’t match easily.

In the axe fx I could get something similar with more blocks but it wouldn’t work for the Fm3.

Having the Alembic as a preamp option would allow Pulse authentic tones in any fractal device ;)

Last edited:
I still have my Alembic, and tried A/Bing to match with fenders pre-amp models (bassman, twin and others) but they dont sound alike in my opinion.

I could get something more similar in shape using the tone match but harmonics still don’t match easily.

In the axe fx I could get something similar with more blocks but it wouldn’t work for the Fm3.

Having the Alembic as a preamp option would allow Pulse authentic tones in any fractal device ;)
OT: I still have my Alembic pre too, but way younger me did some badly done mods to it.
Added a tube, to make an extra gain stage a la Mesa, but without Mr Cornish or anyone else's consultation.
Haven't tried it in decades, but when last seen, I didn't think it was very Boogie-like.

Much prefer modifying presets in my Axe to all that...

Back
Top Bottom