Wish Gilmour PULSE amp model

+1 I will try using a Fender and Hiwatt amp block in series. To me a lot of Gilmour’s sound is the multiple stomp, jfet and tube compressors. And that bit of phase90 or electric mistress or univibe like swirl. And you have to have a low mix of rotary to smooth out the heavy Big Muff, Fuzz Face, RAT kind of distortion stomps he favored.

I usually just use a Fender amp with tons of compression, phaser and rotary to get in the ballpark.

+1 I will try using a Fender and Hiwatt amp block in series. To me a lot of Gilmour’s sound is the multiple stomp, jfet and tube compressors. And that bit of phase90 or electric mistress or univibe like swirl. And you have to have a low mix of rotary to smooth out the heavy Big Muff, Fuzz Face, RAT kind of distortion stomps he favored.

I usually just use a Fender amp with tons of compression, phaser and rotary to get in the ballpark.
Fender Twin is the Top. His sound is between Hiwatt ( Jumped ) and Fender Twin ( Blackface ).
My dream is to be able to use the Pre Fender Twin BF with the Hiwatt Power Amp. This is the combination he used for several years.
Alembic F2B - Yamaha RA200 & Alembic F2B - Hiwatt (Power)
I applied to Cliff wholeheartedly to give us the opportunity to mix Preamp with different Power Amp.

I´m a huge DG fan, part of the way i play, vibrato and bend notes is thanks to him.

I too went that way with different EQs and what not, but the EMG SA pickups sound different than normal SC and the PULSE tone comes from that.

This was my Axe, my PULSE tribute strat, sadly its no longer with me.

32918229937_ea8b6dc62b_c.jpg

Mildly off-topic but I've seen his Red Strat in real life, couple of years ago at the V&A Museum.

19247591_10155251376446346_4518798333130223857_n.jpg

Black Strat was also there.

19420607_10155251376346346_1999783858468168839_n.jpg

Gilmour in the 80s and 90s used an Alembic F2B preamp (which is basically a blackface dual showman/twin reverb preamp) plugged into the power amp of his Hiwatt DR103 heads.

Do you have a YT or tone sample of that sound? I don't think "Listen to 'The Wall'" will work for this thread 😂

Just search whatever he made in 80s and 90s, for example PULSE or Delicate sound of thunder

DSOT is so different tonally than Pulse though...... DSOT was when he was still using the HM-2, Digital Metalizer and the rack-mounted Mesa Boogie head as a preamp, while Pulse ditched all that stuff really, save for the CE-2 chorus and went with the Civil War/Green Russian style muff and the dual Tube Drivers with the Alembic/HiWatt rig.....

As popular as Pulse is with a lot of folks, I've always thought the DSOT tones were Gilmour's absolute best

DSOT is so different tonally than Pulse though...... DSOT was when he was still using the HM-2, Digital Metalizer and the rack-mounted Mesa Boogie head as a preamp, while Pulse ditched all that stuff really, save for the CE-2 chorus and went with the Civil War/Green Russian style muff and the dual Tube Drivers with the Alembic/HiWatt rig.....
Yes, but the clean base tone is basically the same, I think he used the mesa head only for overdriven tones (as he used to do for the wall tour too)

As popular as Pulse is with a lot of folks, I've always thought the DSOT tones were Gilmour's absolute best
Totally agree

Cliff would need a working good specimen of the above amp donated to him. Are the Hiwatt equivalent transformers available to amp builders? I think the output transformer is the hardest component to source. I had a guy build me an Alembic style preamp with JFETs I should dig out.

They sound good, no doubt. There are several Gilmour preset collections that sound great on their own. And they are very welcome because we can learn from them. But when your hobby is doing A/B comparisons to recreate an accurate match of a specific recording, there are many nuances to refine

Last edited:
Best thing to try in the meantime is try some fenders mixed with the hiwatt. I think brett kingman made a gilmour preset where he mixed a vibrolux with the hiwatt. Sounded great.
the only feasible way to satisfy this Wish, is to create a new Amp model, composed of the Pre of the Double Verb Blackface Normal channel into the Power Amp of the Hiwatt Normal. Allowing you to use Hiwatt's presence and master.

But when your hobby is doing A/B comparisons to recreate an accurate match of a specific recording, there are many nuances to refine

Not to judge.... but is that really anyone’s actual hobby ?

I will say when I was more involved with photography gear forums there were some guys whose “hobby” was basically buying new lens and using them to take picture of newspaper taped to their walls and then compare the results of corner sharpness etc between different lens....

“Measurebating” we used to call it ;)

Back
Top Bottom