Gigs canceled due to COVID-19?

Good thing I didn't get an FM3 invite. All bars and restaurants in my state apparently are now closed by imperial fiat. Many of the places we play will probably go out of business during the ensuing economic carnage. I understand that there is a serious crisis, but this decision just made things much worse, while doing nothing to mitigate the problem.

Good thing I didn't get an FM3 invite. All bars and restaurants in my state apparently are now closed by imperial fiat. Many of the places we play will probably go out of business during the ensuing economic carnage. I understand that there is a serious crisis, but this decision just made things much worse, while doing nothing to mitigate the problem.

Yeah the economic carnage will definitely not be nice....

I'm assuming you read this already? If not, have a read and you'll understand why the need for the lockdowns:

I just saw this article and thought it was a good read:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

So, I know this time in our lives is somewhat depressing (understatement). However, the power of positive thinking (or negative thinking) is a self fulfilling prophecy. When one door closes, another one opens...I have experienced this in my life several times. Stay well and stay positive!

We’ve had several cancelled. With the CDC recommendation that all events with over 50 people be cancelled (received that today from the Civilian Marksmanship Program, who are cancelling a number of large events) it’s not surprising. It is what it is, agree or not. I’m definitely feeling for those who make their primary living from gigging. I’m fortunate to not be in that position, and send my thoughts and prayers to those being financially strained by reaction to current events.

I was playing in the orchestra pit at a theatre gig for the past 3 weeks. That has been cancelled. We have gigs in May and our regular April gigs we're cancelled. Not much one can do but in the end, we all just hope this can be contained. Stay safe everyone!

At least I now have some time to go through Cooper's Axe III tutorials!

I gig for a living. Squeezed in 3 last week and assume they're probably the last. I try to build up a war chest by end of summer, but I'll likely dip into savings this year, AKA contagion cash.

First gig cancellations came March 10 when a convention center shut down for March/April. Hoping public bar/restaurant market stays alive, but that's not rational thinking if their numbers are already down 50% and especially if healthy people are carriers/spreaders.

Cities are falling like dominoes when it comes to bar/restaurant closures. As NY and LA go down, the rest of larger cities will eventually do the same, if not every city. If all gigs fold I'll probably try live-stream performance on facebook for digital tips.

Last edited:
We had a gig scheduled this Friday.. but it's the BL's anniversary and he'd cancelled it back in Jan - but venue owner still had us listed. They tried to offer us Sat in exchange last week, but we declined - due to COVID19 concerns. It's a small densely packed venue!
One of the other bands on our circuit took it! I'm thinking it's NOT the best move on their part.. but.. <shrug>
Our next gig is 3/28 and that is at a much larger venue and has not yet been cancelled!
We have other gigs, but are booked to play at a mega-venue Apr 22-25th that hosts national acts. We've opened for a few of them over the last 5 yrs playing there! No word on that yet!

3 canceled for this week. Michigan governor announcing today that as of 3pm all restaurants and bars are closed except for takeout. Probably will lose the 3/28 gig too

I'm in Wisconsin. As of this morning, we had 3 cases, which I believe were near Madison. I'm in Milwaukee. Our show this weekend is in Fond du Lac (St. Patty's Day Sports Bar show downtown Fond du Lac), and I just read that there are now 2 cases in Fond du Lac county. Both have been isolated (one at home and one in the hospital), but they are trying to track down the people they have been in contact with. There is also one in Waukesha, which is about 20 minutes from me.
I hope you guys fair better than we have in Michigan - on 3/10 we had 2 cases, today 53. Makes sense because there were people tested that the results were not in yet, but still quite a jump. Good luck and stay safe over there!

Well, we had a gig this past weekend and it went great, fun as always, so i was excited for the one this upcoming Saturday, where we were going to release our new CD! Guess it's not happening now...

I can report this: Wed and Thurs gigs everyone was OK. By Saturday you could smell the fear. I usually have customers toast bartenders and help. I opened Saturday night with the opposite. It made all the difference, and everyone basically celebrated maybe the last weekend night out.

Funny part is there was a wall-sized projection screen for sports and the only sports event left was cage fighting. People kept requesting old-school mellow acoustic as cage fighters beat the s**t out of each other. At one point 2 women cage fighters were wrestling in a pool of blood as I sang "Tin Man" by America. We all ended up laughing together about that.

Times like these people really need the magic of music and live performance.

Did our last pub gig Sat for a while. Small but very appreciative crowd.

Calgary AB Canada, as of Sunday night it's an official local state of emergency here. All K-12 schools, libraries, rec centers shut down indefinitely, no gatherings larger than 250 anywhere.. but for now they are keeping bars/pubs/restaurants open and asking that they operate at 1/2 legal capacity max. Seat every 2nd table.

Historic sad times, I feel for everyone in the show/entertainment industry. I'm only a weekend player so gigs don't factor in financially for me. I work for an an energy company though, just began indefinite work from home and bracing for mass layoffs as the commodity prices freefall.

Erie, PA. My gigs went on as usual this past Friday and Saturday.

My gigs next weekend will likely be canceled.

Many restaurants and bars are suspending operations and going to take-out orders only starting today until further notice. St. Pat's day is HUGE here. Probably one of the biggest if not the biggest bar-going holidays in the area. It will be a tough decision for those venues to miss out on that.

Edit: Just got the call... Friday's gig is canceled.

Last edited:
Played Gator Club in Sarasota this past Saturday evening. Was packed and all went great. We gig there in a couple weeks again and I bet, by NYC and LA closing down clubs, bars and restaurants, that it'll be closed then too.

As I mentioned upthread, our gig Friday night was packed. I think it was the last hurrah for a while. Over the weekend our Mayor declared bars and restaurants could stay open, but would only be allowed 50% capacity, with no "concerts or DJ events". (Exactly what constitutes a "concert" is still unclear.) Regardless, the bars around here can't afford to pay bands if they are only 50% full, so that effectively shut down any of our gigs for the near future. Even if they were allowed to go on, the public attitude (and fear) shifted significantly over the weekend here, and I doubt many people would be showing up. I guess it's time for some good old-fashioned woodshedding to work on my aging chops. ;)

All bars and restaurants in my state apparently are now closed by imperial fiat.

while doing nothing to mitigate the problem.
Keeping people out of tightly packed small rooms IS mitigating the problem.

It completely sucks but spreading the disease also sucks. Out of the 2 options which is better for the long term?

Really the only thing the average person can do is stay away and reduce transmission of the disease.

This - no vaccine yet, no real way to stop it so pretty much the only thing we CAN do. Throw "use common sense" in there - like, maybe don't jump on an airplane and go on vacation just because the price of flights is way down.

Logic suggests to me that cutting out approximately 1/3 of the food supply when the grocery supply chain is already stressed to t the breaking point will lead to people standing in tightly packed lines hoping to buy food . The forced closures IMO are idiocy.

Logic suggests to me that cutting out approximately 1/3 of the food supply when the grocery supply chain is already stressed to t the breaking point will lead to people standing in tightly packed lines hoping to buy food . The forced closures IMO are idiocy.
many are allowed to do take-out only. it's reducing groups of people in one place for lengths of time that will keep everyone healthy.

i've personally stopped eating at fast food or restaurants. we already complain about their cleanliness when there isn't a virus going on... i doubt the average $11 an hour employee is trying that much harder now.

many are allowed to do take-out only. it's reducing groups of people in one place for lengths of time that will keep everyone healthy.

i've personally stopped eating at fast food or restaurants. we already complain about their cleanliness when there isn't a virus going on... i doubt the average $11 an hour employee is trying that much harder now.

I'm trying to do the opposite, because my local food spots are getting killed with this shutdown. And the people who work for them, some who I know personally, have mouths to feed too. If I die, I die. I don't have a family to take care of.

Back
Top Bottom