Gigs canceled due to COVID-19?

My grandmother's 100th birthday family celebration is postponed indefinitely, would have brought people from all over the country, not a good idea right now.

No band was planned, but would have cancelled that too if there was one. Events are shutting down, rightly so.

....or if they're just greedy and will expect bands to show up and play as we're not really employees they care about.
You say you’re an adult yet you also also assume the decision to stay open could only be made out of greed.
That’s an interesting dichotomy.

Devin Townsend/Haken/The Contortionist is now postponed for all future dates. I was stoked to be going to this, but flying Seattle to Denver (bad)... to hang out in a crowd (bad)... then flying home (bad)... would be pretty stupid so I was going to have to cancel going anyway.

I caught him last week in Orlando and half his band and crew were sick, including Dev himself. I think at that point, already being sick and then looking at what’s going on, it’s just best to stop.

I’m on my second day out of work, over a sore throat. My company isn’t taking any chances and I also sent one of my employees home this morning when he called to tell me he’s feeling like shit. I hate being out of work and to call out over a sore throat seems silly, but I’d hate to be that guy infecting other people if I do have the nasty’s. The spouse of an employee in my building tested positive, so I’ve been around a likely carrier, however, I’m not feeling it too much outside my throat. Thankfully, I’ve got an insanely strong immune system.

We‘re up to 15-16 cases in Broward County, frankly I’m surprised Miami only has 1 reported case so far.

Virtually every tour will be cancelled as local laws are enacted all over the US banning large crowds. It’s just too risky to bear the expense and then be cancelled after you’re on the road.

You say you’re an adult yet you also also assume the decision to stay open could only be made out of greed.
That’s an interesting dichotomy.
How so?
I'm an adult and I can recognize someone else's greed. How is that a dichotomy?

It’s a shame that musicians aren’t providing comfort and escapism during this time of national panic.

I had a show on the evening of September 11 2001. I felt really strange getting on stage. I asked the audience if was alright if I played for them. I really didn’t think it was right to play on a day like that. It turned out to be one of the best nights of my career.

That night I realized that my job was to make people feel better, if only in the moment. Music (art) really doesn’t change the world but it does help lighten the load of the people who are dealing with the world.

I hope all the musicians loosing their outlet to perform for people use this time to produce online entertainment for people to find and enjoy until we can get back to normal.

Maybe make people laugh a bit?

Insomnium managed to get to the states just before the travel ban went into place, and then had to cancel the rest of the US tour after just one show. 😭

My yearly charity show in June has been cancelled for this year. We were just starting rehearsals for it. Luckily my FX III is okay with spending time with me in isolation.

this is a time where Livestreaming on YouTube or Twitch can help both sides and possibly make some funds for the performers.

FB friend in Florida say all their gigs are cancelled as well. Daytona I think, but they play all over, I forget.

We played a gig last night at a local pub. This is the kind of mom & pop neighborhood bar that would likely go out of business if they closed the doors, even for a few days. Much to our surprise, the place was packed and the crowd (and we) had a great time. They did have these signs posted everywhere, though.

COVID-19 Sign.jpg

our band was supposed to play the Chandler Ostrich Fest, here in AZ (yep, it's a thing) but got canceled at about noon.
It was raining too, and the headliner 98 Degrees canceled, but I think it was more about the virus and media pressure

I didn't wait for ministry, I canceled all my shows until further notice.

It’s an interesting time, here in Costa Rica, I’m in a high tourist area that as of yet has done 0 preparation for this virus. The local FB site has many restaurants, hotels, tour companies that are posting as if nothing is going on.
I host the local jam, as well as play in a duo and solo act weekly. I would say every business is riding out as long as they can before ”someone” forces them to change. I am debating canceling shows myself as really I’m condoning ignoring the ministry guidelines to minimize social gatherings. My wife and I were hit with a nasty chest cold, fever and completely tired about 5 weeks ago, I canceled and found others to sub in.
The testing here isn’t here and 1.5 dr's really couldn’t handle an outbreak.
I suspect tourism here will tank completely in a couple weeks and gigs will be sparse anyway.
I don’t rely on this for needed income, but it’s really interesting watching mostly younger people and businesses completely ignore what’s going on out there and try to diminish the threat.

Last edited:
All is closed down here from midnight on countrywide....all artists are w.o. ressources until at least end of april Hope it will not last too long.

Back
Top Bottom