Gigs canceled due to COVID-19?

I'm in Wisconsin. As of this morning, we had 3 cases, which I believe were near Madison. I'm in Milwaukee. Our show this weekend is in Fond du Lac (St. Patty's Day Sports Bar show downtown Fond du Lac), and I just read that there are now 2 cases in Fond du Lac county. Both have been isolated (one at home and one in the hospital), but they are trying to track down the people they have been in contact with. There is also one in Waukesha, which is about 20 minutes from me.

We do play every weekend, but most of the shows are just regular bar gigs. Those shows can be easier to cancel or reschedule. None of the club owners have reached out to me yet. Most of them are fairly reasonable-ish, so I think we just need to get the dialogue going. On one hand, I'm sure they want to keep their business going. But on the other hand, they won't want to pay for a band if people stop coming out to the shows. I'd like to think that they would also consider the big picture.

I do have a wedding reception gig on May 2nd, also in Fond du Lac. The original band the couple hired broke up in January and cancelled on them. We shuffled our schedule around to make ourselves available for them. The bride asked over and over again "Are you sure you can do the gig?" Of course, the guilt now makes me want to play the show no matter what. I don't want to be the second band to cancel on them. But a lot will happen between now and then. The reception is in a hotel, and I would imagine that the hotel will have procedures and cooperate decisions, etc. in place between now and then that may end up making some decisions for us. We'll see.

I'm in Wisconsin. As of this morning, we had 3 cases, which I believe were near Madison. I'm in Milwaukee. Our show this weekend is in Fond du Lac (St. Patty's Day Sports Bar show downtown Fond du Lac), and I just read that there are now 2 cases in Fond du Lac county. Both have been isolated (one at home and one in the hospital), but they are trying to track down the people they have been in contact with. There is also one in Waukesha, which is about 20 minutes from me.

We do play every weekend, but most of the shows are just regular bar gigs. Those shows can be easier to cancel or reschedule. None of the club owners have reached out to me yet. Most of them are fairly reasonable-ish, so I think we just need to get the dialogue going. On one hand, I'm sure they want to keep their business going. But on the other hand, they won't want to pay for a band if people stop coming out to the shows. I'd like to think that they would also consider the big picture.

I do have a wedding reception gig on May 2nd, also in Fond du Lac. The original band the couple hired broke up in January and cancelled on them. We shuffled our schedule around to make ourselves available for them. The bride asked over and over again "Are you sure you can do the gig?" Of course, the guilt now makes me want to play the show no matter what. I don't want to be the second band to cancel on them. But a lot will happen between now and then. The reception is in a hotel, and I would imagine that the hotel will have procedures and cooperate decisions, etc. in place between now and then that may end up making some decisions for us. We'll see.
i think the next 10 days will really tell the tale. if the US is on the same trajectory as Italy, they're saying we're 10-15 days behind. i can only hope that today's address makes people think again about this whole thing and we just mitigate the spread to keep pressure off the hospitals.

i'm pretty sure we'll see more lockdowns than new york. i would guess that restaurants and bars will naturally close if not forced. but it all depends on how the nation takes this information that yesterday was "it will go away, good things will happen" and today is something different.

My band just canceled our gig for next Friday in Mountain View, CA. Lots of companies in the area are asking employees to telecommute so the audience will probably be sparse anyway.

The Aristocrats cancelled the last few shows of their tour in Italy because the government banned concerts

I’m in Santa Clara county, soon to be the “Wuhan” of the US (fighting for top spot with Kings county WA). All my gigs for the next 3 weeks got canceled.

I'm booking a venue with max 200 capacity in Helsinki, Finland. I also work as a booking agent and have 10 shows booked this month with max capacity of 200 or so. No cancelations so far. Bigger shows coming in April and in the summer...

Few bigger shows got canceled this morning due to the USA flight restrictions. Our government will put out an announcement concerning limitations of events and larger gatherings in one hour. We'll see what happens.

EDIT: all events above 500 pax canceled 'till end of May. If the limitation gets any lower, me and my gf will be out of jobs anytime soon...

Last edited:
Gigs seem like theyre being cancelled shortly but I had music videos and some live studio sessions cancelled due to some of our personnel being from Europe. Been slaving over an album for several years and now many things are uncertain right now. Hoping everyone maintains health and peace in these odd times.

I've had two shows cancelled. Both were sold out in advance. In WA state, the governor has issued a decree limiting gatherings to less than 250, and most venues are appropriately erring on the side of caution. I happen to have a "day job" and the impact can be absorbed. I'm very concerned about my friends who make their living in music.
Received notification today from a few of our regular local venues that they are canceling all events until mid-late April. This is likely to be the same for upcoming touring venues. This sure seems like a good time to support your favorite musicians by purchasing their music directly. Music has gotten me through some very difficult times, and I will give back to those special musicians who helped light my path in times of darkness. Support those artists!

Papa Roach cancelled the rest of their European tour.
I wonder how this is going to affect the Stones upcoming tour?

So far no cancellations for our band, but I'm curious to see how the turnout is at our pub gig tomorrow night. It's at a little neighborhood bar that's unlikely to cancel their one night a week of live music. [Knocks on wood]

I do have several friends who've been impacted. One who is a hired gun bass p[layer posted yesterday that this week he's had three gigs cancel this week, and the March is not looking good for him. Another, who works for a local concert sound and lighting company, is pretty much out of work for the duration.

Devin Townsend/Haken/The Contortionist is now postponed for all future dates. I was stoked to be going to this, but flying Seattle to Denver (bad)... to hang out in a crowd (bad)... then flying home (bad)... would be pretty stupid so I was going to have to cancel going anyway.

Devin Townsend/Haken/The Contortionist is now postponed for all future dates. I was stoked to be going to this, but flying Seattle to Denver (bad)... to hang out in a crowd (bad)... then flying home (bad)... would be pretty stupid so I was going to have to cancel going anyway.
I just saw Devin in Charlotte for the third time.. Was honestly one of the greatest shows I've ever been to. So much better without backing tracks

I was supposed to see him this Sunday in Cleveland. Better off being safe though.

Back
Top Bottom