Gigging without IEM or Monitor???

Stagepig

My battery died during the last rehearsal and I played the song through without hearing anything. This might be less fun than playing with cabinets (which I'm not supposed to in my band :() but it works somehow.
So I was wondering are there any players that use their Ax8 live without InEar or any Monitor and just by trying to hear the PA?
I tried this the last gig and it worked quite fine. I'm no big InEar Fan so I could start preferring this over headphoneso_O Is this uncommon?

It seems kind of risky. You will be at the mercy of whatever monitors and mix is at the venue. Might be great, might be terrible

I don't recommend it. If you get an area on stage that's really bassy, it'll mud over all of what you might hear from PA and it'll be bad news. I recommend taking a small, powered PA speaker for your own stage sound (point just at you like a monitor wedge). If you need it, turn it up, if you don't... just leave it in the trunk. It doesn't need to be a big 15" wedge... something like a QSC K8 is plenty.

My battery died during the last rehearsal and I played the song through without hearing anything. This might be less fun than playing with cabinets (which I'm not supposed to in my band :() but it works somehow.
So I was wondering are there any players that use their Ax8 live without InEar or any Monitor and just by trying to hear the PA?
I tried this the last gig and it worked quite fine. I'm no big InEar Fan so I could start preferring this over headphoneso_O Is this uncommon?
If the room is very small or your ear is near the main speakers, sure. I gig with mains only all the time but only with solo or duo, and only if the speakers are behind me or very close to me.

In a band situation, you most likely will hear the bounce back of the speakers and therefore be late, timing wise.

I do it all the time as a single and used to do it with a duo. I just panned myself to my side for the duo. In a band i don't think I'd try it.

Very good sound in most rooms with Bose L1(180 degree sound dispersion). They tend to fill the whole room with sound so being on the other side of the 180 degrees sounds ok. I end up taking my IEMs out at many gigs. BTW electronic drums/symbols, no amps or monitors for this to work.

Some shows ive travelled with just my AX8 and a guitar. Ive had very mixed feelings on relying on the soundbro to not do anything drastic. Alot of times they gain the poop out of the channel and it gets tough to play. Also sometimes ive had monitors have some latency which makes it next to impossible to play.

Back
Top Bottom