Gigging users vs. non-gigging users?

MarkShrader

Inspired
So after reading the recent post "Predictions on how will FW10 affect our patches." it dawned on me that there might be a majority of users that do not take their presets live on stage. (This would answer to so many wanting to start from scratch.)

Hey I definitely understand the excitement... after all, which of us is not obsessively tone-freaking having all the choices that Axe-FX puts in front of us? But huge/high respect to all who have to keep their unit in stage-ready condition (that's what she said!) as the FW seasons come and go.

I'm tally curious: Which of us uses this on stage often? (Add one the count below)

Me = constantly on stage, highly dependent on tone familiarity. You?

Tally:
0 = gigs, hardly ever
1 = gigs often using AxeFx2
0 = gigs (but very seldom, so FW change not as critical)

I play up to 4 times a month. It's pretty critical to me. But I still would choose to start from scratch. If I got the tones I liked once, I can probably do it again.

Good point Vhalen. So
Tally:
0 = gigs, hardly ever
2 = gigs often using AxeFx2

1-2 gigs a month and always use the axe. So does the other guitar player in my band. Mark us each down for one.

Much happier with the tone and flexibility of my axe rig.

I tend to use about 4 banks of 5 presets. I will usually upgrade ASAP. That's why I really like that the last few firmwares have gotten to the point where they are much easier to dial in. Makes switching over much easier and quicker

I gig with mine as often as I have gigs. Usually a few times a month.

As much as it pains me to do I won't even adopt 10.0 until I at least hear about the bugs and if they could screw with me on stage. Most likely won't upgrade till 10.0x is out with bug updates. I just don't want to have something go wrong and have absolutely no idea whats going on.

Usually 4-6 gigs a month...

0 = gigs, hardly ever
5 = gigs often using AxeFx2

If I don't gig I don't eat.

I'm not afraid of a Fractal tone change. Since ultra version 3point something they have all been for the better.

After 10,000+ live shows since the 70's, anything new on stage is fresh and exciting.

If 10 dropped at sound check I'd load it and play the gig with it that night!

The guys in my band shudder when I tell them I've updated the Axe. When there's a big FW update, I always go back and tweak presets. I have to because on more than one occasion I've found that modifiers - in addition to tones - have been changed as a result of the update. The biggest problem is the variance of volume, however, not the change in tone. I find it really difficult to get appropriate volume across all of my presets (during a normal show, I'll go through about 70 presets these days - scenes will change that after the new Axe Edit comes out).

Not to hijack the thread, but if anyone has come across a good method to set levels (not gain staging, but volume), let me know. I'd prefer to use my eyes rather than my ears (when spending a few hours on so many different presets). The meter on the mixing board doesn't work well for me.

I gig, on average, two times per month. I just upgraded to 9, but I haven't started with patches. Between rehearsals and gigs, I have to find the time.

I don't gig at all any more so all the tone shaping i do is me coping tones of my favorite tunes that I like to play to. Any firmware changes that effect how the amp sim sounds means some work for me but I don't mind as it keeps me on my toes.

I gig a few times per month. I've only had my Axe for a few months so I'm just starting to dial in my patches (I have a bunch of them since we play weddings). The thought of starting over depresses me, but I would do it if the results were better. I'm hoping that I can get by with my current presets while I rework them because gigging without the axe is not an option.

6-8 gigs a month; I'm on the Fractal Audio beta team so I am on a new(er) firmware almost constantly. (NOTE: I do downgrade for gigs if necessary, but most often I do not need to). I've loaded new beta firmware in, tweaked it out in less than 10 minutes total (6-8 presets) and done the gig. No problem. Cliff doesn't really do buggy firmware FWIW, even in Alpha.

I think the inherent problem with this thread is.. gigging players are keen to tell everyone they are gigging players, and not so much the other way around.

Anyway I'm a weekend warrior, currently in a re-building, re-branding, new-material building phase with my band so at the moment I'm not gigging at all. In the past I was playing 1 to 3 nights per week with only a rare weekend off. Expect to be somewhere in between by later this spring or summer.

I gig usually 8-12 gigs a month. I use Axe for about half of my gigs, other gigs i usually play acoustic straight to my AER amp.

Back
Top Bottom