Gigging: How to sell Beer & Booze? Tips & tricks you've learned?

Don't know how or even if it would apply here but the church in town has their carnival every Spring. They're not allowed to sell beer but they are allowed to sell tickets that you can exchange for beer.

My experience is that people in a bar rarely have to be encouraged to purchase drinks ;-)

That being said, of course give props to the waitstaff and bartenders, but really that's as much about the band remembering to recognize the people who are working hard as it is actually getting more beer sales. Remember, you're also there at the venue's invitation... acknowledge them. They're a lot more likely to have you back when you treat them like people.

Setlist:

"Theme from Cheers"
"99 Bottles of Beer"
"Whiskey Girl"
"Drunk In Love"
"Have A Drink On Me"
“Milk and Alcohol”
"Whiskey In The Jar"
"Cold Gin"
“One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer”
"Tipsy"
"Happy Hour"
“There’s a Tear in My Beer”
“It's Five O’Clock Somewhere”
“Margaritaville”
“Whiskey River”

I play in the band called "Subliminal Messages".

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy... Further, I am not under the alcofluence of inkahol like some thinkle peep I am so my adwice is spot on. Booze? Yes. Dwinks? Yes. Food? Maybe not so much.

Reminds me of my cover band days. At one point, our drummer approached me and said, "Man, you guitar players get all the great looking chicks. What's your secret?" So I told him. I said, "I wear really tight pants and stuff a potato down there. Works every time". A few weeks went by and he approached me again. "It's just not working for me", he said. I looked him straight in the eye and said, "The potato goes in the front".

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy... Further, I am not under the alcofluence of inkahol like some thinkle peep I am so my adwice is spot on. Booze? Yes. Dwinks? Yes. Food? Maybe not so much.
Ah....the classics....

I was watching @Danny Danzi videos and came across one where his singer said "the next round was on the band". The crowd went wild and then he said "the first band".
That was priceless!

I love his "freebird" responses. When they all start yelling for that song, he says "you can have all the free bird you want in the men's bathroom!" People usually lose it. :)

Hmm...getting people into the place.....call your band "free beer" or "Hott Sexx" or something. :p

I can tell you how to get dudes in the place....play guitar like a lunatic. Guaranteed a sausage fest every time. You just have to hope the ladies follow....but most times, no one likes us guitar players that flock to see other guitar players. :*(

Hang your guitars lower and play nude. If you use a trem you might want to put that rear cover back on ... but other than that the crowds should flock in.

No need to stick your plectrums on a mic stand anymore either

Don't suck. Actually, be pretty good as a band - tight and smooth. If you're playing covers all night, play stuff people like to hear, not stuff you like to play.
Don't be too loud and drive people out the door. I've walked out of a handful of gigs this year just because the bands were too loud. Not "Oh, it's hard to talk in here", more along the lines of "I'm leaned in, shouting in your ear and you still can't hear me."

And, like previously mentioned, get the girls there.

Back
Top Bottom