Gigged with v18 beta last night and ...

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
Gigged with v18 beta last night and ... WOW !!!

Often, moving from a mature set of tweaked patches to a new version means taking one step back to eventually take two forward. But in this case, just a few basic patch tweaks and volume balancing gave me a noticeable improvement in tone and feel. I really like this version.

Also the new rotary, that gets another wow! I'm only using about a 40% mix, but now it sounds right to my ears.

It seems to me some folks get obsessed with some particular tone ideal in a tube amp that they can't find in a modeller, then use that logic to imply that real amps are better than models. After last night, I can name plenty of tube amps I've used that sounded worse than v18. So, as the French say, "Viva la difference!", and as I say: "Viva version 18!" ;)

I gigged last night too. 18 sounded great and I learned alot to work with going forward. Inparticular I had a mid gain plexi patch that I only kicked on towards the end of the night and it sounded so sweet cranked. I am looking forward to expanding on that patch with higher and lower gain settings as it cut through so well without being harsh. We're a twin guitar set up and I've struggled in the past to cut through against my buddies lonestar as I do prefer a slightly scooped tone but this just nailed it.
I was using a matrix gt1000 into matrix fr212. Stereo to foh. The venue was not so big that my backline was absent from the overall mix maybe 150 bods. Pretty happy have to say and definitely feel the need to spread my wings from my go to jcm and brown eye amps.

Last edited:
I plugged into Atomic CLR powered cab as backline and a little extra to FOH mono. 3-piece lineup. Strong mids are important in the tones I like, I roll off the lows a bit, and the highs a lot over 5 to 10KHz.

Been using the Diezel Silver model for some time - performed today with version 18 and it was just killer...and it hasn't even been converted in the FW release we have!!

Back
Top Bottom