Gig troubles. no sound!

oldstar1975

Inspired
Today I played first show with Axe II. Discovered unexpected trouble - just after power on there was no sound from output 1, both input indicators was working normally but output was mute. After simple rebooting problem disappeared. This bug was two times. I am really worried about that, I am playing many shows and can't rely on Axe... Any ideas?

Have you contacted support?

What was plugged into the Axe-FX? Midi controller? Which one?

Last edited:
Here's a guess... test by plugging into channel 2.

I added Simeon's violin patch (awesome by the way) and just plugged an expression pedal into Ext 1. I didn't check any further because it worked. I should have! Turned out my volume pedal was controlling output 1, which then was off when a pedal wasn't plugged in. Totally my fault for not looking. I fixed the settings and output 1 came back to life.

No idea if you have expression pedals in your patches, just venturing a guess there.

Here's a guess... test by plugging into channel 2.

I added Simeon's violin patch (awesome by the way) and just plugged an expression pedal into Ext 1. I didn't check any further because it worked. I should have! Turned out my volume pedal was controlling output 1, which then was off when a pedal wasn't plugged in. Totally my fault for not looking. I fixed the settings and output 1 came back to life.

No idea if you have expression pedals in your patches, just venturing a guess there.

This is happen to me with my Axe Standard before! Exactly the same! Input indicators well, no signalblocker in the routing! After recycle the audio-signal comes again to my ears ... I found out later, that this happens most likely because of the FCB1010 Midicontroller: Step by feet ob switches, which start program-mode of the footcontroller ... seems that send midi sysex out of the unit, the Axe standard could`nt laugh about .... anyhow ... just my experience ...

Sounds like a restart with nothing but the guitar connected might be a good place to start. Then a system reset. From the manual:

10.4 Reset System
This menu page includes a single parameter that is used to restore the factory default settings to System
Parameters, specifically:
 GLOBAL Configuration parameters, Global OUT1 and OUT2 settings.
 IO Input, Audio, MIDI, Control and Pedal Parameters.
 LCD Display Contrast.
The following areas are NOT affected by RESET SYSTEM PARAMS:
 User scale settings are NOT modified.
 User Cabs are NOT affected.

This is happen to me with my Axe Standard before! Exactly the same! Input indicators well, no signalblocker in the routing! After recycle the audio-signal comes again to my ears ... I found out later, that this happens most likely because of the FCB1010 Midicontroller: Step by feet ob switches, which start program-mode of the footcontroller ... seems that send midi sysex out of the unit, the Axe standard could`nt laugh about .... anyhow ... just my experience ...

+1. Happened to me when my Axe Ultra was running, midi cable from it to Behringer FCB1010 was connected and then powering on the Behringer. Ultra seemed normal, yet: no output.
Couldn't figure out the reason and simply powered on both units and then connecting the midi cable, not the other way round.

there was no sound from output 1, both input indicators was working normally but output was mute.
If you get no output you should check the output indicators under utility -> status.

I bet it's a midi controller issue or an external controller issue.

If you have a volume block controlled by a MIDI pedal you will not get sound if the pedal is not plugged in as the axe is waiting for the pedal to tell it to turn the volume up. If you need the patch without the pedal you need to bypass the volume block. You may also just need to switch back to the preset after selecting another and all should be fine.

There is no Volume block. A am using auto program changing from the keyboards, midi merger, midi foot controller, expression pedal and external switcher... may be some of this stuff sending mute command...

There is no Volume block. A am using auto program changing from the keyboards, midi merger, midi foot controller, expression pedal and external switcher... may be some of this stuff sending mute command...

This is most likely.

Easiest test is to unplug the midi connections and test for sound. If you get output, then you know where to start troubleshooting.

Back
Top Bottom