Gig no FOH

andyp13

Power User
Hi guys
I have a gig coming up, its in a small venue with a Vocal PA provided. I normally go direct into FOH with our own PA but for this gig I thought I would bring along my Boogie MK1 and go direct in from the Axe FX.
I would however like to have the option of connecting to the PA - but I dont yet know what is going to be.

What would be my best option to set up my Axe III for such an eventuality?
I would like to have Out 1 with my amp and cab sims ON and output 2 with Amp and Cab sims OFF (to go direct into the Boogie combo).... but both outputs to use my effects (Chorus, Rev, Comp, Delay, Drive)..

Yeah, you got the right idea. I have all my "live" patches set up with multiple splits and panning going to various outputs based on the situation. You could split it right after the amp and have the cab following the amp going to one output an identical path below it going to a different output.

I try to set up all my live patches as versatile as possible; I do have to have a note on my iPhone that says what everything is and where it's all going, since I run electric, acoustic, and keys through just about every patch.

Hi guys
I have a gig coming up, its in a small venue with a Vocal PA provided. I normally go direct into FOH with our own PA but for this gig I thought I would bring along my Boogie MK1 and go direct in from the Axe FX.
I would however like to have the option of connecting to the PA - but I dont yet know what is going to be.

What would be my best option to set up my Axe III for such an eventuality?
I would like to have Out 1 with my amp and cab sims ON and output 2 with Amp and Cab sims OFF (to go direct into the Boogie combo).... but both outputs to use my effects (Chorus, Rev, Comp, Delay, Drive)..
I have ouput1 split before the cab to go straight to a power amp and cab. Output2 is for going to FOH. We go FOH most of the time because we run our own PA. But if that is not the case then we usually just bring the power amps and cabs and then mic them for FOH.

I'm planing to buy a Celestion F12-x200 and put it into a 1x12 open back cab for such events. I can't tell you now how good that will work...but I guess an open back cab could fill the room far better than the usual FRFR gear.

Last edited:

In my set up I have comp, wah and Drives then My Amp then Pitch then Cab after the cab its Vol, Chorus Rev and Delay.
So, would I have to move my Amp and Cab to the end of the chain so I can bypass them to go to Outut 2?

I put the Pitch inbetween the Amp and Cab as reccomended but I guess it wont matter too much.... But how would this effect the reverb and deley being before the Amp and Cab block? im not near my Axe III to try it.

In that case you could tap output1 just before the amp block.
Yes, would having the Amp and cab blocks at the end of the chain sound ok - as all my delays, chorus and reverbs would be before the Amp instead of after, so I would not be able to drive the amp etc.. I suppose I could double up on everything but don’t want to max out my CPU.... as well as having the nightmare of adjusting two of everything should it need tweeking.... seems like there’s no other way though.

untitled-2-jpg.51886

That's quite a nice collection of effects boxes you have there

2017AfBlgBoss119CompactPedals700.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, would having the Amp and cab blocks at the end of the chain sound ok - as all my delays, chorus and reverbs would be before the Amp instead of after, so I would not be able to drive the amp etc.. I suppose I could double up on everything but don’t want to max out my CPU.... as well as having the nightmare of adjusting two of everything should it need tweeking.... seems like there’s no other way though.
Is there an effects loop? If so, you could just run into that. You wouldn't be using the pre-amp on the boogie, but I bet it would still sound pretty sweet. Just an idea anyway.

Is there an effects loop? If so, you could just run into that. You wouldn't be using the pre-amp on the boogie, but I bet it would still sound pretty sweet. Just an idea anyway.

No, it’s a MK1 Boogie - the effects loop is not good. I guess I will just have to set up the Axe MK III to do one or the other. I would have liked to have the option of going into the FOH as well as into an amp with the sims off just in case the PA is ok - but I guess I can just use the boogie on its own and turn it up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom