Gig Bags instead of hard cases ?

mmpete

Experienced
Hi Y'all.

Been thinking of swapping out my guitar cases for some gig bags. Mostly so I can hide them in the boot of the car out of sight. The guitar cases are too large for the boot by just a bit. My fear though is that the gig bak might allow some damage to the guitar if it gets bumped on something during transport.

Any thoughts ?

Thx, PG

I've been running with a Mono Dual for better than 5 years now. No problems. Case is built like a tank.

You can't throw it around the way you might with a hard case but it's still plenty sturdy. It's just the last thing in the car when loading out now.

Another vote for Mono Dual. I've had it a few years as well and it looks like new. Guitars feels very protected in that thing and I never worry.

Bags, or the "hybrid" polyfoam ones from Gator IMO. I only use the big heavy hardshell cases when I'm flying or have someone else handling all of my gear (and I'm not sure how far they'll be tossing my basses).

Depends on what you'll be doing with your guitar while it's in its case.

No gig bag can offer the protection of a good, well-fitted hard case. Gig bags—pretty much all of them—fall short in two ways: stiffness and headstock impact.

Stiffness — Take an empty gig bag and make it bend in the middle. In most cases, it will be easy to flex it at least a few inches. Now put a guitar in the case and try the same thing. It's a lot harder to do, isn't it? That's because the neck of your guitar is taking pretty much all the stress. Even the vaunted Mono bags can be flexed with minimal effort.

Headstock impact — Most gig bags will deform if you bump the bag headstock-first into a wall. And with most of them, the headstock almost touches the end of the bag to begin with. And almost all of them will allow the guitar to slide lengthwise on impact, even if there's built-in neck support and a hold-down strap around the neck. In each case, the full momentum of the guitar is brought to bear on the end of the headstock.

The impact thing gets even worse if your guitar has an angled headstock. Now you have to worry about banging the headstock from behind if you turn around and bump it into something. Or if it falls over backwards. Or...

That said, gig bags vary widely. Some are just flimsy sleeves. Others are firmly padded and stiffened. The best gig bag I've seen is the Fender John Mayer, made by InCase, who also made a similar bag under their own name. Thick, closed-cell foam, tons of storage, and very hard to flex. But InCase doesn't make guitar cases anymore. If you can find one on the used market, it'll set you back between $200 and $300.

Polyfoam cases offer most of the protection of hard cases at a fraction of the weight. They're very stiff, but if the fit isn't right, your guitar can still slide forward in the case and impact the headstock. Depending on the case, they may or may not offer a size advantage over a hard case.

Here's the InCase/John Mayer gig bag and a polyfoam case...
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Ultimately, you have to weigh the risk of damage against the risk of someone spotting your guitar in the back seat and making off with it. Just make sure you take a good look at the gig bag you're considering before you buy it.

I've been running with a Mono Dual for better than 5 years now. No problems. Case is built like a tank.

You can't throw it around the way you might with a hard case but it's still plenty sturdy. It's just the last thing in the car when loading out now.

^^This.

I either use the Vertigo or Dual bags from Mono. Strong, light and a very good compromise. Been using them for about six years, multiple gigs per month and they're still going strong with zero issues.

They're a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Another Mono Dual gigbag user here. You sacrifice a bit of protection, but going from carrying 2 hardcases to one gigbag on your back is a HUGE deal for me in the city.

I know several touring musicians that Use nothing but soft sided gigbag/guitar case. They are certainly easier to take On a plane with you. They haven't sustained any damage to their instruments during 4 years+ of touring. The trick is to find a good case that has a mix of density of foam in it, Softer closer to the guitar and then a firm harder denser foam past that. Your pretty much set than.

Just cause your guitar is in a hardcase doesn't mean its any better protected if its flopping around inside the case somewhat cause its not fitted correctly. Or if its being thrown...... (i hate baggage handlers).

If a guitar in your boot gets damaged in a gig bag, you're either doing something wrong (e.g., stack an amp on top of it) or you have a crap bag. The MONO stuff is good. I also have an InCase bag like like one pictured above.

MONO case for the win. Those gig bags are beautiful, tough, and super easy to manage. I've been planning to get a DUAL MONO case for some time. This thread reminded me I should hop to it.

I've eyed those MONO M80 dual bass cases a few times, as two basses go to every gig with me. Just not sure I want to drop the money on one... I have some pretty nice bags / polyfoam cases already xD

If a guitar in your boot gets damaged in a gig bag, you're either doing something wrong...
You're right. Wrong things get done to cased guitars all the time, and try as I might, I'm not in absolute control of everything that happens to my guitars. That's why there's a limit to my faith in gig bags.

You're right. Wrong things get done to cased guitars all the time, and try as I might, I'm not in absolute control of everything that happens to my guitars. That's why there's a limit to my faith in gig bags.
When I wasn't in complete control of things I used hard cases for exactly that reason. Unfortunately, the number of times in my life where I've been able to rely on others to load my gear in and out of gigs can be counted on one hand. :(

Recent convert to the Mono Dual here. The earlier mention of neck impact was a concern, but the Mono locks the neck firmly into a padded cradle so, short of someone standing on it, the neck is safe. I load my own guitars in/out so rough handling isn't a concern. Let's just say it is holding two PRS 513s, one with a Brazilian rosewood neck... That's a show of confidence!

I'm a big fan of the mono cases. I do have an Incase Slimbag for sale if you want to go that way. It's like new and I have the original box for shipping.

Recent convert to the Mono Dual here. The earlier mention of neck impact was a concern, but the Mono locks the neck firmly into a padded cradle so, short of someone standing on it, the neck is safe. I load my own guitars in/out so rough handling isn't a concern. Let's just say it is holding two PRS 513s, one with a Brazilian rosewood neck... That's a show of confidence!
They're very good as gig bags go, but they're still easy to bend if there's not a guitar neck in there to take the strain.

Don't get me wrong: a well-made gig bag can be the right choice, depending on your needs. But be careful about thinking that the neck and headstock are fully protected because there's a pad under part of the neck.

I use the Mono bags as well ... Vertigo and the Dual .. depending on how many guitars Im taking out with me .... Hard cases are just used for overflow at home storage now ...

I did have an instance 2 years ago, when the band I was playing with went to Nashville in support of a country artist, to play a bunch of spotlights during the fanfare, had my main guitar (in a Mono Vertigo) fall off the TOP of the stack of gear in the back of a Ford Expedition ... I thought for sure the neck had bit the dust on one of them, as it fell on the ground neck first (at least from my perspective). I was already planning on figuring out how I was going to fit a trip to buy a new guitar into the schedule sideways ... much to my surprise, it didn't even much knock it out of tune (at least no more than I was anticipating coming from an ice cold motel room to 100 degree heat)

Mono for the win for me as well! I am probably 4 years into my Vertigo at this juncture.

I will admit, that John Mayer Case is a fine looking case, but the only time i have seen them for sale second hand, they are outrageously priced, so I just bought the new Mono instead!

I will admit, that John Mayer Case is a fine looking case, but the only time i have seen them for sale second hand, they are outrageously priced, so I just bought the new Mono instead!
I hear you. The one I have, I found it at Goodwill. For $10. In brand new condition.

You can hate me now. :)

Back
Top Bottom