'Gifted' Guitarists

I think that you either have it or you don't. Just my opinion.
I have known some guitarists for over 30 years and no matter how many hours they put in, they will never have it. I know guitarists who hardy pick up their instruments but when they do, they nail it every time.
The ability to get inside every note comes from within. It's about passion and not everyone is a passionate person.
It's not something you can buy or practice at, you either have it or you don't.
Most guitarists cannot bend a note nicely. Same with their vibrato. They just don't feel it. Forget alternate picking, sweep picking, scales etc. You can pretty much determine off one note bend with vibrato what end of the scale a guitarist is at.
Hours has nothing to do with it. Some people are just better than others. You can't polish a turd :)

On which end of the spectrum do you envision yourself?

Most guitarists cannot bend a note nicely. Same with their vibrato. They just don't feel it. Forget alternate picking, sweep picking, scales etc. You can pretty much determine off one note bend with vibrato what end of the scale a guitarist is at.

Dude...I can't tell you how much I agree with you. I have been acutely aware of this my entire musical life. I've never understood it. I really hate that crazy angry bumble bee vibrato that's somewhere between parkinsons and a gran mal seizure. THe one where the only thing touching the fretboard/neck is the one finger on the string. Or those guys who can't differentiate bend inflections in parts so all their inflections sound like meat fisted shoving. I've always tried to tell those people to slow down, get the feel, the vibrato will sing, the song will tell you what to do. The pocket is a giant condo with 4 bedrooms, 3 baths and a 2 car garage and all they have to do is walk in and never leave. I leave a key under the mat, I give them the gate code. I leave blow out on the kitchen counter, I leave hookers and heroine in the den and keep trashy pulp in all the bathrooms. They never come in. I even tried kale chips for all those bun wearing crossfitting hipsters. Nothing works. Either your born with that key or your not.

Just a thought..

All our biggest-name guitar heroes have spent countless hours, days, years working their asses off relentlessly practicing to develop themselves.

Then we listen and say they are 'gifted'. Like that term is a compliment. Isn't that more of an insult? It would piss me off if anyone ever said I was gifted.. wait, no-one ever has, now I'm just sad :)

But seriously.. how much of it is talent VS skill?

Some do it faster then others so spending years is not part of the equation I would call that the "gifted" part of the equation.

I leave blow out on the kitchen counter, I leave hookers and heroine in the den and keep trashy pulp in all the bathrooms. They never come in. I even tried kale chips for all those bun wearing crossfitting hipsters.

HAHN HAHN HAHN. I know what you mean......

The difference between the best guitarists and us common guitarists is the source of motivation. Most of us just learn enough guitar to get chicks. I think the last thing on these virtuoso's minds is chicks. I mean... look at Yngwie. Oh man... I think he actually might get some with that attitude of his. Damn Swedes why are you good at everything?

The difference between the best guitarists and us common guitarists is the source of motivation. Most of us just learn enough guitar to get chicks. I think the last thing on these virtuoso's minds is chicks. I mean... look at Yngwie. Oh man... I think he actually might get some with that attitude of his. Damn Swedes why are you good at everything?

It's the water. No, really!

I believe in the chick theory, survey of 1, guthrie govan, he has never had a chick in his life, and one of the best guitarists going, coincidence, i think not

however i believe he has had his teeth fixed recently, which might help to solve the chick problem

I believe in the chick theory, survey of 1, guthrie govan, he has never had a chick in his life, and one of the best guitarists going, coincidence, i think not
Well, my mother seems to have a pretty big crush on Steve Vai...

however i believe he has had his teeth fixed recently, which might help to solve the chick problem

How on earth would you know his sexual history?

You've clearly never seen his wife then.. she's a looker for sure.

I just remembered a story I heard about the Gothenburg bands. Apparently, for a while, the Swedish government handed out subsidies for performing artists, including bands, provided they could proove they did gigs or performances. That would be great motivator, because as we all know being in small time bands... You basicly bleed money until you get decent.

It's a blurry subject.

When I think of "gifted" I think of a "natural". It is easier for such folks than for the rest of us. They are automatically at a high level.

Musicians / guitar players can be quite famous, very enjoyable to listen to, obviously talented and maybe even a virtuoso on guitar, but not "gifted"?

Any natural or genetically pre-determined trait, inclination or predisposition that is beneficial for performing a task can be defined as a gifting.

Everything from physical anatomy to IQ can benefit a guitar player.

We all do the best with what we have. Some are given better tools than others. Motivation and dedication make up the rest.

When it comes down to it, the value music is determined by what you do with it. If PG spent his entire life shredding in a basement then it's all a waste!

No single gifting is of any particular value if it is never used.

Just a thought..

All our biggest-name guitar heroes have spent countless hours, days, years working their asses off relentlessly practicing to develop themselves.

Then we listen and say they are 'gifted'. Like that term is a compliment. Isn't that more of an insult? It would piss me off if anyone ever said I was gifted.. wait, no-one ever has, now I'm just sad :)

But seriously.. how much of it is talent VS skill?

i believe we are all works in progress and all have lived many lives that string together as one continous stream.
this IMO would explain the "talent vs skill" dilemma.

somewhere along the line- the "talented" one worked his/her ass off and this appears in a current life as "God-given talent".
then there are the ones who totally start a new skill-set like playing guitar in this life and they must put in the required time and effort to match or exceed those who have started much earlier. they would be considered the "skilled" ones

Back
Top Bottom