Gift of Tone #9: AUSTINBUDDY

Wow - these sound GREAT!

Something I noticed ...

On the EVH Live Brit Brown, the name for Scene 2 shows as "Flanger 1" on my FC-12 instead if "AintTalking" as shown on the unit and Axe-Edit.

I tried downloading and reloading the preset, but get the same result. All other presets seem OK.

Anyone else notice this?

There is probably a per-preset override I played with for my own FC12, that carried over to the FM3 probably. It would be in Layout 8 or maybe 7. Just zero all that out and your problem will go away I bet. I'm not in studio for a few days to check.

There is probably a per-preset override I played with for my own FC12, that carried over to the FM3 probably. It would be in Layout 8 or maybe 7. Just zero all that out and your problem will go away I bet. I'm not in studio for a few days to check.
Thanks, I'll give that a try when I fire-up my Axe-FX in the AM.

I agree these sound fantastic, but I was wondering if anyone else gets a CPU limit exceeded warning on the STRAT "Vaughan-a-Bees" preset, specifically scenes 6 and 7.

I agree these sound fantastic, but I was wondering if anyone else gets a CPU limit exceeded warning on the STRAT "Vaughan-a-Bees" preset, specifically scenes 6 and 7.
You are on an FM3? I did make and play these on an FM3 and had no CPU problems on that one.

Anyone else?

Curious, are you using the USB for audio too? (I only use USB for Midi/editor myself)

LiveGold update across all Fractal units ETA is end of January. It takes 4-6 weeks to play all 1000+ scenes at gig volume and make sure they are perfect.

But maybe Bank 1 can be done by Christmas as a partial update. More on this to come.
Man, I can't wait! This IS gold! 🤘:hearteyes:👌

Yeah, I’m on the FM3 and only using the USB connection for the editor. Not sure why just those two scenes put me over the top. The rest of the preset is fine. As I understand it bypassed blocks still count against the overall CPU usage so it’s not like anything new gets “added”.

Man, I can't wait! This IS gold! 🤘:hearteyes:👌
Gonna be after Christmas for the LiveGold Bank 1 (Marshall-styles) partial update. I have to fix too many things the new firmware reset away from my chosen values (like amp Input EQ) and ajust for firmware shifts. LiveGold Bank 1 should be done though by Jan. 1-2 though no problem and will be put into your download accounts when ready.

I'm out for a week for the holidays, but have work through the Marshalls and starting on the Freidmans. I can do about 30 presets a day (times four scenes = 120 sounds) but have to rest my ears for an hour or two after 10-15 presets else they start lying to me.

If you use the LiveGold from 20.04 on firmware 21, I can tell you this for the Marshalls (may NOT apply for other amps).

- the presets will be louder than they were on 20.04. On most amps I have to re-level downward to -1 or -2db for amp LEVEL.

- The gain or power amps scaling may have shifted some (meaning, the gain that was 6 in 20.04 may now be something like 6.5).

- there is very good string separation on 21.01, maybe the best we've had. If you don't like that or it feels stiffer to you playing-wise, move the speaker compression up from 1.0 to 2.0 or so.

- some presets may have more treble. I am having to turn the presence back on some and sometimes treble.

- almost all Marshalls from 20.04 will have more bass in 21.01. I am dialing back the Thump from 2 or 2.5 to 1 to 1.5 now, using more Lo Cut in the cab block too from 125Hz to 150Hz.

- On lead tones (Scene 4/8) and some rhythm tones, I am having to re-input Amp Input EG low cut values, usually 100Hz. The firmware resets these to default amp values, which (will accurate to real life) will make the tone too bassy or mushy for loud live playing.

These tips can help you update your existing 20.04 LiveGold presets if you update to new firmware -- you will have a sense of why they might sound different. This info above only applies to the Marshalls though, those are the only one's I've check in detail, one-by-one. Could be different for Class A amps etc.

I am having to do all of those adjustments while playing, with loudness above 92db. But I am on it!

Some other good news - I am retiring from my day job and will be doing AustinBuddy work full time starting about mid-January - gaining those 8 hours a day back in my life will help me trun around this kind of stuff twice as fast as in prior years. And, hopefully, give me new bandwidth to work on some new products you guys have told me you wanted for Spring/Summer 2023. Cheers!

Yeah, I’m on the FM3 and only using the USB connection for the editor. Not sure why just those two scenes put me over the top. The rest of the preset is fine. As I understand it bypassed blocks still count against the overall CPU usage so it’s not like anything new gets “added”.
@DeeSquared
I am getting 81-82.7% on Scene 6 and 82% to 83.1% on Scene 7 - but not an CPU warning on my end.

If you aren't using Output 2, delete that and it will help. Another trick is in the drive block, (which is off but does "load" the CPU) - change Scene 6 default setting from Channel A TubeScream to channel B or C (Microboost) - that will reduce CPU a little too. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Gonna be after Christmas for the LiveGold Bank 1 (Marshall-styles) partial update. I have to fix too many things the new firmware reset away from my chosen values (like amp Input EQ) and ajust for firmware shifts. LiveGold Bank 1 should be done though by Jan. 1-2 though no problem and will be put into your download accounts when ready.

I'm out for a week for the holidays, but have work through the Marshalls and starting on the Freidmans. I can do about 30 presets a day (times four scenes = 120 sounds) but have to rest my ears for an hour or two after 10-15 presets else they start lying to me.

If you use the LiveGold from 20.04 on firmware 21, I can tell you this for the Marshalls (may NOT apply for other amps).

- the presets will be louder than they were on 20.04. On most amps I have to re-level downward to -1 or -2db for amp LEVEL.

- The gain or power amps scaling may have shifted some (meaning, the gain that was 6 in 20.04 may now be something like 6.5).

- there is very good string separation on 21.01, maybe the best we've had. If you don't like that or it feels stiffer to you playing-wise, move the speaker compression up from 1.0 to 2.0 or so.

- some presets may have more treble. I am having to turn the presence back on some and sometimes treble.

- almost all Marshalls from 20.04 will have more bass in 21.01. I am dialing back the Thump from 2 or 2.5 to 1 to 1.5 now, using more Lo Cut in the cab block too from 125Hz to 150Hz.

- On lead tones (Scene 4/8) and some rhythm tones, I am having to re-input Amp Input EG low cut values, usually 100Hz. The firmware resets these to default amp values, which (will accurate to real life) will make the tone too bassy or mushy for loud live playing.

These tips can help you update your existing 20.04 LiveGold presets if you update to new firmware -- you will have a sense of why they might sound different. This info above only applies to the Marshalls though, those are the only one's I've check in detail, one-by-one. Could be different for Class A amps etc.

I am having to do all of those adjustments while playing, with loudness above 92db. But I am on it!

Some other good news - I am retiring from my day job and will be doing AustinBuddy work full time starting about mid-January - gaining those 8 hours a day back in my life will help me trun around this kind of stuff twice as fast as in prior years. And, hopefully, give me new bandwidth to work on some new products you guys have told me you wanted for Spring/Summer 2023. Cheers!
That's awesome! Congrats on the Retirement:D

Austinbuddy, thanks for this gift and thanks for your overall excellent work. Really terrific. Not only are the sounds and tones great, but I cannot say enough about what I've learned, building modifications. I'm getting some serious Fillmore East tones now, with very simple settings. Even learned something interesting, interacting with my guitars electronics.

Can't get the Jimi preset to load for some reason. After I click on "import preset", then choose the bundled Jimi file, use the "pick" for both IR and preset and then click save, the Cab IR loads fine but after that the Axe Edit just goes through all the user 1 and user 2 loading like it does when I start Axe Edit and then the empty preset number I've chosen just comes up blank with "empty".
Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. It's appears to do the same thing that happens if the Axe-Fx III firmware isn't updated properly. Mine is updated to 21.01 so I'm not sure what the deal is. Any suggestions?

Edit: After trying to import all the other presets in this Gift of Tone package, the only one that loads is the LotsaLiking preset. All the others come up empty just like the Jimi preset.

Last edited:
I talked with Austin Buddy and it just so happens that at the same time emailing back and forth Fractal released firmware 21.04. After updating to the new version AB's Gift of Tone presets loaded fine.

Back
Top Bottom